U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM

1,912 posts, read 805,798 times

Advertisements

I'd guess getting you or someone else killed, getting a night or 2 in jail, paying a huge fine with money you don't have, losing your car, losing your car insurance and license, etc may have something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,206,640 times
Lawyers are killing it.

Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM

6,471 posts, read 3,593,663 times
It's certainly not dead.

Though I am seeing more and more of the teens-20s who typified that scene switching to embracing truck culture here, and they're racing those.

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

3,679 posts, read 2,991,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Starting in the early 30's (after prohibition when a bunch of former bootleggers had their supped up cars and nothing to do with them), with a few peeks in the 50's, 70's and 90's.

personally I think it is the fault of a few things.

(snip)

While there has always been an offroad/4x4 culture I think the main reason it has grown so much in the last 10 years if because it has absorbed many refugees from the hot-rod/street racing culture.
I live in PacNW, where there are tons of offroad ops: woods, in the west (aka wet-side). Desert over the mountains, to the east, for a different kind of riding and offroading. It's big news here and in other western states for-sure.

Drag racing: I'm trying not to be an old Uncle Fudd here, at 51. I'll look at my red Porsche in the garage for inspiration...my Midlife Crisis® personified. That Porsche 911 C4 GTS is all about backroad handling, and its big brother GT2, GT3, and RS versions of those the ultimate track weapons for SCCA.

The fuddy-duddy says: "Drag racing on the street? That's just stupid." Well, yes, it is but it's also great fun, and I too was 16 once. I have never been a drag racing kind of guy. But I did road race motorcycles three seasons in the 1990s, mostly campaigning GSX-R750's for those in the know about bikes. I went from Amatuer (class, license) to Expert license in that time w/sufficient points from races, and no one can say that wasn't dangerous. We even had a fatality one season, his name was Josh though I didn't know him personally (RIP). Road racing is not drag racing, but I'm not immune to the excitement and danger of the former, either.

Why? I think the stiff legal penalties are dissuading some, as you mention. Then there are occasional fatalities, which the cops hate and the public hates worse. Then the news (press) gets involved and it's a freakin' train wreck. I think you're right that you'll need a lawyer, and may do some time if you cause enough mayhem with street drags. Ask Hulk Hogan's idiot son about that, some years ago in Florida(?) whereby he hit a tree at high speed and severely injured his passenger. Lifetime of round the clock car for that poor guy, millions in liability...you get the picture.

The kids used to drag the Ricer cars (so-called) down in what I call the furniture district, Renton area of Seattle, because there were/are some wide open streets with light industry and warehouses around totally deserted at night. They'd flash-mob, run a race or two, then disperse. Then the police started turning up and arresting every man, woman, and child even fleeing FROM such events, with inevitable tickets and fines. Enough of that, it does disappear. Catch the ringleaders, fine them enough, suspend licenses, have them do 30 days in County, it all goes away.

I grew up in the county north of Detroit, Oakland (Detroit-proper is the famous Wayne County.) We had Woodward Avenue, which runs all the way to the Detroit river in a pretty-much straight line from Pontiac, including from swanky Birmingham up north to the hell-hole of Highland Park near the Packard Plant ruins in Detroit. My hangout was Birmingham south to Royal Oak, about 4-5 miles: hey, we were kids on bicycles!

30 miles of long straightaways, some of which used to be pretty rural (before c. mid-1970s). Back in "the day," there were tons of drags on Woodward. This ended before I was a teen, for better or worse, so OP got the dates right: early '70s with those bad-ass Superbirds and etc. were one heyday, as were the early 1960s ("American Graffiti" got that right) and '50s in that area. Each year there is a Woodward Dream Cruise, which celebrates that heyday with badass drag cars all up and down the road. Thousands and thousands...helluva sight! Literally everything, from every era, turns up.

It ended because...too many people, stores, not enough deserted straightaways, and enough cops to shut it down. For better, or worse....

Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

9,225 posts, read 7,665,366 times
I wonder if the spike in gas prices, when it went up to $4 to $5 a gallon had anything to do with the decline?

Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

12,368 posts, read 6,438,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Starting in the early 30's (after prohibition when a bunch of former bootleggers had their supped up cars and nothing to do with them), with a few peeks in the 50's, 70's and 90's.

personally I think it is the fault of a few things.

1. complexity of newer cars making them harder to sup up.

Nope. Any turbo can get an ECU upgrade to put out stupid amounts of horsepower for cheap money. VW GTI. Audi A3. BMW 2 series. WRX. Camaro. Fiesta. Civic. Veloster. Mini. Volvo S60. Even an Altima. You can bolt on an upgraded turbocharger, upgrade the suspension, and upgrade the exhaust system without spending huge money.

2. Hobby has been taken over by the wealthy who can afford to upgrade already fast high end German and Italian sports cars driving out the purists who would either build a muscle car from scratch out of junkyard parts or supping up their moms old hand me down Honda civic.

You can buy a used GTI or WRX for cheap money, chip it, and have a pretty fast car.

3. stiffer penalties if caught, (gone are the days of a $50 ticket if caught now you pretty much have to take out a loan).

I doubt most people street racing think they're going to get caught.

4. urban sprawl, (can't just meet up 2 miles outside of city limits anymore, you have to go further and further outside of town to find a place to race).

Meh. Most industrial parts of cities are pretty empty late at night.

5. Other forms of recreation, (many of the people I personally knew from the street racing culture years ago are into offroading in jeeps, lifted 4x4 trucks & SUV's now, for the reasons stated above).

I think it's more that people opt to take their boy racer cars to the track instead of street racing.

While there has always been an offroad/4x4 culture I think the main reason it has grown so much in the last 10 years if because it has absorbed many refugees from the hot-rod/street racing culture.

Unlikely. Rock hopping is a different experience from a quarter mile drag race.

From where I sit, boy racers are everywhere and street 1/4 mile drag racing is never going to go away.

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

3,679 posts, read 2,991,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's never been killed, in fact there are areas around here where it's a big problem, both racing and drifting.

(snip)

Here is a stupid sign. It's OK to race during the day?
Guessing that's on East Valley Hwy in Renton, or one of the myriad roads around (what I call the) furniture district down there. Look at a map, lack of density, it's all warehouses. Perfect for flash mobs to drag.

Really, they need to take it to Pacific Raceways, not ten miles down the road to the south. I've watched Friday night drags there various times in my life and caught some good pictures, too.

By the time the press has it, the cops are doing "emphasis patrols" and can sometimes respond to the mobs almost as fast as they form. They'll show up with eight cars and a paddy wagon, and arrest just about anyone they see onsite or even fleeing the area. Enough of that, racers are busted-out as they are usually idiots (= no money, less sense) in souped-up yet craptastic Acuras and etc.

Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,859 posts, read 52,082,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think the younger generations have much interest in cars. Their interests are in computers and video games. A lot of kids think they should live well without ever doing any work and maintaining a car is hard greasy work.

The newer cars are difficult to work on, requiring expensive tools.
That's generally true, yet the local high school parking lots are full, and if you hang out nearby at dismissal time, many kids go zipping out of the driveway at well over the speed limit. Doing any work on them would be rare, however, because they are mostly Mom's car or Dad's old one that's still only 2-3 years old. What I definitely haven't heard of lately is what we used to do in the late 60s/early 70's, cruising the main road through town on Friday and Saturday nights. Slowly going a mile or two, turn around and go back, over and over.

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

1,492 posts, read 813,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I live in PacNW, where there are tons of offroad ops: woods, in the west (aka wet-side). Desert over the mountains, to the east, for a different kind of riding and offroading. It's big news here and in other western states for-sure.

Drag racing: I'm trying not to be an old Uncle Fudd here, at 51. I'll look at my red Porsche in the garage for inspiration...my Midlife Crisis® personified. That Porsche 911 C4 GTS is all about backroad handling, and its big brother GT2, GT3, and RS versions of those the ultimate track weapons for SCCA.

The fuddy-duddy says: "Drag racing on the street? That's just stupid." Well, yes, it is but it's also great fun, and I too was 16 once. I have never been a drag racing kind of guy. But I did road race motorcycles three seasons in the 1990s, mostly campaigning GSX-R750's for those in the know about bikes. I went from Amatuer (class, license) to Expert license in that time w/sufficient points from races, and no one can say that wasn't dangerous. We even had a fatality one season, his name was Josh though I didn't know him personally (RIP). Road racing is not drag racing, but I'm not immune to the excitement and danger of the former, either.

Why? I think the stiff legal penalties are dissuading some, as you mention. Then there are occasional fatalities, which the cops hate and the public hates worse. Then the news (press) gets involved and it's a freakin' train wreck. I think you're right that you'll need a lawyer, and may do some time if you cause enough mayhem with street drags. Ask Hulk Hogan's idiot son about that, some years ago in Florida(?) whereby he hit a tree at high speed and severely injured his passenger. Lifetime of round the clock car for that poor guy, millions in liability...you get the picture.

The kids used to drag the Ricer cars (so-called) down in what I call the furniture district, Renton area of Seattle, because there were/are some wide open streets with light industry and warehouses around totally deserted at night. They'd flash-mob, run a race or two, then disperse. Then the police started turning up and arresting every man, woman, and child even fleeing FROM such events, with inevitable tickets and fines. Enough of that, it does disappear. Catch the ringleaders, fine them enough, suspend licenses, have them do 30 days in County, it all goes away.

I grew up in the county north of Detroit, Oakland (Detroit-proper is the famous Wayne County.) We had Woodward Avenue, which runs all the way to the Detroit river in a pretty-much straight line from Pontiac, including from swanky Birmingham up north to the hell-hole of Highland Park near the Packard Plant ruins in Detroit. My hangout was Birmingham south to Royal Oak, about 4-5 miles: hey, we were kids on bicycles!

30 miles of long straightaways, some of which used to be pretty rural (before c. mid-1970s). Back in "the day," there were tons of drags on Woodward. This ended before I was a teen, for better or worse, so OP got the dates right: early '70s with those bad-ass Superbirds and etc. were one heyday, as were the early 1960s ("American Graffiti" got that right) and '50s in that area. Each year there is a Woodward Dream Cruise, which celebrates that heyday with badass drag cars all up and down the road. Thousands and thousands...helluva sight! Literally everything, from every era, turns up.

It ended because...too many people, stores, not enough deserted straightaways, and enough cops to shut it down. For better, or worse....
A few years ago while driving with friends returning to Olympia from a concert at the Tacoma Dome, some punks in their souped up Hondas were drag racing on I5 probably around midnight or so, It scared us especially the driver. Zoom, zoom, crazily weaving in and out of traffic.

Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM

9,596 posts, read 5,930,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I wonder if the spike in gas prices, when it went up to $4 to $5 a gallon had anything to do with the decline?

What does that have to do with anything ?

Many of the fast guys are running c16 or methanol (boosted cars) so it's already more than double what pump gas is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or