U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 09:38 PM

16,865 posts, read 10,372,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Starting in the early 30's (after prohibition when a bunch of former bootleggers had their supped up cars and nothing to do with them), with a few peeks in the 50's, 70's and 90's.

personally I think it is the fault of a few things.

1. complexity of newer cars making them harder to sup up.

2. Hobby has been taken over by the wealthy who can afford to upgrade already fast high end German and Italian sports cars driving out the purists who would either build a muscle car from scratch out of junkyard parts or supping up their moms old hand me down Honda civic.

3. stiffer penalties if caught, (gone are the days of a $50 ticket if caught now you pretty much have to take out a loan).

4. urban sprawl, (can't just meet up 2 miles outside of city limits anymore, you have to go further and further outside of town to find a place to race).

5. Other forms of recreation, (many of the people I personally knew from the street racing culture years ago are into offroading in jeeps, lifted 4x4 trucks & SUV's now, for the reasons stated above).

While there has always been an offroad/4x4 culture I think the main reason it has grown so much in the last 10 years if because it has absorbed many refugees from the hot-rod/street racing culture.

You need to get out more. If anything, street racing, both organized and spontaneous , is probably stronger than ever. On any weekend night, you can find a lot of it going on, you just need to know where to look .

In the 60's, we ran for maybe a few bucks, or just pride, but it is not unusual to see some serious money being bet these days, and some cars that are borderline pure drag cars being either driven in or trailered in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 05:37 AM

5,645 posts, read 3,927,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I think complexity is definitely a huge one. Another being that supping up your civic won't mean much when you come up against a $60k Hellcat or $100k GTR/Tesla, meaning production cars are so fast and prevalent that there's little street racers can do on a budget vs the amazing and ubiquitous sports cars in production.

What fun is it to spend tons of hours plus the sweat and finding parts etc, to get wrecked by some random guy that picked up a Hellcat that morning and just mashed the pedal?

I'm not Tesla guy, but the P100D, stock, borderline needs a roll cage to run in NHRA. Gonna take a lot of money and know-how to beat that in an Altima.
What budget? The good ones are taking your $60k hellcat and selling it for $50k, buying and making parts for their "Craptastic" looking WRX or Civic, and making a sub 10s car, so they can then challenge you in your big sack Hellcat or Tesla and dust you.

Serious street racers don't spend tons of hours and sweat unless they want to, they're almost like a race team. Seriously I've seen some crazy stuff at street races, where someone comes with their 18th Birthday Porsche, or AMG, or Z06 and are smoked by a Miata or Civic with a blown and juiced i6 in it pushing 800hp, and weighing half of the Porsche, AMG, and Z06. Often the Miata is given like 150 yards in lengths too because numpty with the big and expensive machinery doesn't know the rules, and didn't ask what was under the hood, and doesn't know jack about betting their car. Because when the guy tells you his NC Miata is worth $8k, but he's prepared to run a drag with a Porsche 911 worth $80k, making up the difference in cash, with a 150 yard head start, one of two things is afoot, either the guys an idiot (but then he'd have brought his Porsche), or the Porsche is going home with the Miata guy.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:02 AM

9,620 posts, read 5,946,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You need to get out more. If anything, street racing, both organized and spontaneous , is probably stronger than ever. On any weekend night, you can find a lot of it going on, you just need to know where to look .

In the 60's, we ran for maybe a few bucks, or just pride, but it is not unusual to see some serious money being bet these days, and some cars that are borderline pure drag cars being either driven in or trailered in.
I completely agree

Old 01-31-2019, 07:02 AM

8,003 posts, read 1,999,130 times
Street racing still popular around here too, its not really seen as a big problem though, probably the worst thing these kids are doing, are trying to evade or running from police (when they attempt to pull them over), but thats pretty common in relation to street racing, its not like they are being chased for committing serious crimes or anything.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:37 AM

18,841 posts, read 10,405,912 times
People keep saying "sup."

It's "soup."

We "souped" up our cars.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:44 AM

12,702 posts, read 8,654,735 times
I still do it from time to time. Just pick your place and be safe.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,883 posts, read 52,179,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I still do it from time to time. Just pick your place and be safe.
OK, I'll admit, I did take the bait at night a couple of years ago when a Hemi Ram pickup pulled alongside my Challenger on a deserted freeway and gestured to race. I just proved my point briefly and then backed off to the speed limit.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:00 PM

12,702 posts, read 8,654,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
OK, I'll admit, I did take the bait at night a couple of years ago when a Hemi Ram pickup pulled alongside my Challenger on a deserted freeway and gestured to race. I just proved my point briefly and then backed off to the speed limit.
Most times it is just 2 secs and i pull ahead and it is over. But never do it with heavy traffic or side roads.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:15 PM

439 posts, read 391,483 times
ppl got smarter

Old 01-31-2019, 05:06 PM

7,273 posts, read 7,732,307 times
The Fast Furious movie only brought to light the Southern California racing culture. Southern California Street racing culture goes back to the 40-50's.
What kind of killed the, "fast and furious" style of race meets in So Cal is, "Stiff penalty and Fines".
30 days in a impound yard can get really expensive really fast.

Quote:
Engaging in a speed contest in California is considered a misdemeanor. For a first penalty you may receive any or multiple penalties below:
  • minimum of 1 day and up to 90 days in county jail
  • fine of $355 to a maximum of $1000
  • 40 hours of community service
  • suspension or restriction of your driver’s license from 90 days to 6 months.
When arrested for a speed contest the officer can also impound your vehicle for up to 30 days.
In case it’s not your first related conviction you may be charged with additional penalties. In case you have a previous conviction for street racing within 5 years, you’ll be looking at 4 days to 6 months in county jail, $500 – $1,000 fine, and a mandatory suspension of your driver’s license for 6 months.
In case your street racing caused an injury the penalties can increase to 30 days up to 6 months in county jail, and/or a fine between $500 and $1,000. Furthermore in case of serious bodily injury (even includes concussion or loss of consciousness) you may be looking at a sentence of 16 months to 3 years in jail, and up to $10,000 fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or