Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:20 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times

Advertisements

I drive a '92 Ford F150 and my wife drives a 2002 Ford Explorer. We have a NICE retirement fund for when the time comes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 08:41 AM

190 posts, read 650,293 times
similar to what other wrote, i'd say not always. my first car was a junk, and i hated it, some people can't afford to drive the car that you would think they owned if you saw them and didn't know what they drive.

but everyone in those beatles with the sun flower on the dash, or most who drive VW , i'd say that says who they are....people in the accords, camrys, tauraus, ect. middle class people usually in a middle class car. idk, i guess i've confused myself here, except about what i said the VW's that was true lol

Old 04-13-2008, 10:13 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am a generally successful attorney and I drive a beat up old pick up (no gun rack but often sporting a canoe rack). I only wear two piece suits, but that only says that I am under 60.I bought it to try out four wheel drive to see if I like it or not and have not gotten around to finding something else. Right now, there is nothing else that I really like enough to borrow money to buy it. I would never drive a $60,000 car becuse I simply cannot justify the expense. I wold feel stupid in one, especially when attending a charity event.
After using an attorney recently for a personal injury suit, i've come to the realization that the most important things for selecting a personal injury attorney are: A. Where does he/she live? B. What is the attorney paying for the office rent? C. What kind of car are they driving?

My attorney lived in an average house, was paying a reasonable office rent and drove a 10 year old SUV. My conclusion(in hindsight), was that he didn't need to be aggre$$ive because he didn't carry a high debt load. If i have a future need for a PIA, i won't consider one who isn't in a high-rent district and doesn't drive an expensive vehicle. High debt load= "Shark",
Low debt load= "Nice Guy". JMHO.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:41 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
After using an attorney recently for a personal injury suit, i've come to the realization that the most important things for selecting a personal injury attorney are: A. Where does he/she live? B. What is the attorney paying for the office rent? C. What kind of car are they driving?

My attorney lived in an average house, was paying a reasonable office rent and drove a 10 year old SUV. My conclusion(in hindsight), was that he didn't need to be aggre$$ive because he didn't carry a high debt load. If i have a future need for a PIA, i won't consider one who isn't in a high-rent district and doesn't drive an expensive vehicle. High debt load= "Shark",
Low debt load= "Nice Guy". JMHO.
I too agree. When I see an attorney or even a real estate agent pull up in an "expensive" luxury vehicle, I get the feeling that they charge an arm and a leg for their services. And they need to charge that much to keep up with their payments.

Even though not all of them do that, I'm sure that some of them do.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:42 PM

13 posts, read 33,587 times
I always drive STICK ... I like speed... I think that says more than the actual car model itself - I live on the edge or ledge )

Old 04-16-2008, 01:51 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance67 View Post
... "you are what you drive." ...
Completely superficial nonsense. What a waste of life. We need to use the energy of our lives and beings, instead, focused on evolving and living compassion, kindness and joy.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:59 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
Quote:
I read an article that stated "you are what you drive." It's been awhile so I can't recall which paper it was in, but is that realistic? Ever since I read that article it's kind of had me wondering if people really believe this. I know people who make really good money that drive beat up old pick-up trucks, & I know people who don't make a lot of money who drive Navigators. Any opinions?
My opinion is that it is usually apparent what someone values by looking at the things (and the conditions of those things) which they surround themselves with.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:18 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,672,964 times
While what you are may not be reflected in what you drive. What others, strangers, think you are is. This was demonstrated to me some years ago when a family friend wanted my wife to drive his Mercedes. He had a long term illness and did not want it just sitting in his garage. After years of driving Chevys Fords etc. She saw a very obvious change in the way she was treated, by those who did not know her, when driving a Benz.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:38 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,281 times
Quote:
I read an article that stated "you are what you drive." It's been awhile so I can't recall which paper it was in, but is that realistic? Ever since I read that article it's kind of had me wondering if people really believe this. I know people who make really good money that drive beat up old pick-up trucks, & I know people who don't make a lot of money who drive Navigators. Any opinions?

Hey, you know. most people that drive a brand spankin new car or truck, are living beyond there means. there was a poll that said most people in this country work to make a car payment. id rather drive something used with no payments. at least i can go to bed at night knowing if i lose my job ill still have a car to drive. I own a car a truck, van and a motorcycle all with no payments.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times
You said it perfectly JFRRACING...

I would rather have this 19 year old paid for car, than a $300 a month payment for a new one. I would love a new car, but I'll wait till this thing dies!!! Could be years... 225,000 and going strong...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive