U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 07:58 AM

2,590 posts, read 3,148,339 times

Advertisements

I had a GM dealer jerk me around about 15 years ago on a transmission issue I had in a truck I bought new from them. I had a transmission issue that was covered by warranty. I broke again in less than a year but at that point was past the mileage limit on the warranty and they would not cover what was obviously a poor repair job since the exact same part broke. We went back and forth for a week or two while my truck just sat in the lot at their service department. Finally, I got the area Chevrolet rep involved and had another dealer that I had done a lot of business with sent their rollback over there and pick it up. They pulled the transmission and broke it down and discovered that cheap aftermarket parts had been used in the previous repair at the other dealer. The Chevrolet rep confirmed and therefore GM denied to repair it under warranty. After some more bickering with the original dealer, I found out they had outsourced by transmission repair to a local small shop and they are who actually put cheap parts in my transmission. After talking to my attorney about it, I decided the $2500 wasn't worth the battle and just ate it myself and put a brand new transmission in. I went to the original dealership, took the invoice to the salesman I dealt with (who we had known since we were kids) and told him that I would never buy another vehicle from them until they reimbursed me for that transmission. To make a long story short, the general manager refused to pay me and so here we sit years later and the salesman finally quit calling me about 5 years ago trying to talk me into coming in so they could "make it up to me." I told him every time he would call and try to talk me into coming in how many sales they had missed out on and if they wanted to "make it up to me" to get a pen and write me a check for $2500 and then we would talk.

So to answer the OP's question, yes, a dealerships service definitely affects my buying choices and I hold a grudge indefinitely. There are too many dealerships and brand options to have to deal with a dealership that sucks.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:43 AM

2,684 posts, read 1,551,571 times
I had a Dodge dealer in Kansas put a huge dent in the driver's side door. Service manager tried to tell me I brought it in like that. Guy who wrote my ticket actually told the truth that he had banged it and "forgot" to tell me. When we dropped the car off to fix the dent, some mechanic with grease all over his hands to the door panel off leaving a big, black grease mark. I had to go to Dodge corporate with that problem. Never stepped foot in that dealership again.

Old Today, 09:06 AM

3,423 posts, read 5,478,101 times
I briefly considered abandoning Toyota due to a bad dealership service experience but figured since Las Vegas is basically a metropolitan island in the desert I would likely to end up with a less reliable vehicle from an different manufacturer who also has crappy dealer service here. Loved the Toyota dealerships in TX...a bunch of competition is always a good thing from a consumer standpoint.

Best dealership I've ever dealt with was a small, family owned, pre GM SAAB dealership in the Chicago suburbs...absolutely outstanding service and attention to detail every single time. Would have likely stayed with SAAB just for that reason had GM not taken over.

To me having the accessibility of great service can trump stellar reliability in certain circumstances. I'm using a different Toyota dealership here now...we shall see how it goes. I would abandon Toyota before returning to Centennial based on principle alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or