Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Car Company Will Go Bankrupt Next?
Ford 1 1.61%
GM 8 12.90%
FCA 16 25.81%
VW Group 3 4.84%
Daimler 2 3.23%
BMW 1 1.61%
Tesla 21 33.87%
Honda 0 0%
Nissan Alliance 3 4.84%
Toyota 1 1.61%
Mazda 1 1.61%
Volvo / Geely 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Tesla... although it's unfortunate since they were the pioneers but they are really struggling but they can just not make it with the loss of the credit, the inability to rein in their costs, service their debt, make cheaper models and face the competition. In my view it's only a matter of time that they go bust.
We hear about this every few months or so and somehow it never seems to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 09:46 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
https://www.latimes.com/business/aut...201-story.html

Ruh roh...

Now you know what Musk meant by "difficult times ahead".
They pulled most of their sales forward into Q4 and the remaining demand is for the $35K version that's never coming.
Tesla still barely made any money despite pulling all of those sales forward.

Most of their sales are in California, so they can't blame the weather.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:11 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,268,581 times
Lol come on dude

Old 02-02-2019, 04:00 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Question is bankruptcy though. I could see one of the bigger players buying out Tesla for their tech. But not declaring bankruptcy.
Agree.

None will go bankrupt.
The name may be bought up but not ended.

Studebaker was the last car company to go bankrupt. But that was the car division. Studebaker itself is still in business today. Studebaker car division was a planned bankruptcy.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:45 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Lol come on dude
Come on dude, where's my $35K Model 3?
That's the question most of Tesla's of reservation holders have been asking for years.
Every time the question is asked the answer is "4 to 6 months from now". It's like "Free beer tomorrow!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Studebaker was the last car company to go bankrupt. But that was the car division. Studebaker itself is still in business today. Studebaker car division was a planned bankruptcy.
Delorean, Daewoo and Zastava (the maker of the Yugo) also went bankrupt and are out of business.
There may be others that I'm not aware of.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:34 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I think Tesla moved a lot of cars because the Model 3 preorders has been delivered and now getting a model 3 sold has been challenging for them once the Fed rebate is cut in 1/2 and not that many people would want to waste $60k on a new car unless it's an EV SUV.

If Tesla made a Toyota Highlander sized SUV for $60k, they would have no trouble selling 200k units. But the Model X is over $120k and it's not a very practical SUV.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:48 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Agree.

None will go bankrupt.
The name may be bought up but not ended.

Ummmm, both GM and Chrysler went into bankruptcy in 2009. The government bailout and liberal relief of debt and restructuring is the only reason they are still in business. The current GM technically isn't actually the same General Motors as before. They killed off brands, sold off divisions and started a new company. Chrysler has been in bankruptcy multiple times. I guess that is getting a little too technical but still they did in fact go bankrupt and I will almost guarantee you they will yet again. They are right back to building piles of junk and going down the exact same road as before.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
That's the question most of Tesla's of reservation holders have been asking for years.
Every time the question is asked the answer is "4 to 6 months from now". It's like "Free beer tomorrow!"

Delorean, Daewoo and Zastava (the maker of the Yugo) also went bankrupt and are out of business.
My SIL had a deposit on one of those. They told her she could get a $46,000 version right now, or she could wait another year or two for the $35,000 version. Oh and by the way, the tax credits are going away. Guess which option she chose.

It is a good trick. get people invested by offering a reasonably priced vehicle "someday" and then never produce it. Tell them they can get the are they have been waiting for for the last year or two right now, by applying their deposit to the more expensive model which they never would have bought otherwise (because it is too expensive).

Old 02-04-2019, 07:41 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,339,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Tesla shouldn't even be on the list. Clearly people on here don't live in more affluent areas. I see Tesla EVERYWHERE and if you go to California, the are like Toyotas. I think they are HUGE.

I voted for Volvo. China messes a lot of things up.
I see Teslas all over Raleigh, but that doesn't mean anything. I saw Chevys everywhere in 2008 (hell, I owned one then), but GM still went bankrupt...

Old 02-04-2019, 10:52 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,268,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post

EYE ROLL.

Gee I wonder if the fact that so far in 2019 Tesla is only producing model 3's for Europe and China has anything to do with the fact that U.S sales are down. I mean, do you expect them to sell cars they don't even have available??

In terms of the $35k car, why are so concerned? If Tesla is consistently profitable selling 6 thousand higher end model 3's per week across the world, whats the hurry?

Or are you just pouty mad that they somehow are "getting away" with making profit on higher end cars.

BOO HOO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive