Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 10:28 PM

297 posts, read 245,305 times

Advertisements

Am I missing something? I don't see an RV forum anywhere.
Looking for cities that have a large number of used small
rv's for sale. Not talking about dealerships that are overpriced, talking about the self-owned market in small used RVs.

I'd like to hear from people who actually have lived in those places and had RVs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 11:42 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
You can ask a moderator to move the thread here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/camping-rving/

I used to live in Tucson, and due to the high number of snowbirds and older RV owners who decide to sell their rigs, there are a lot of private owner RVs for sale. Try craigslist for Tucson, also Phoenix for an even bigger selection. The dry climate in the southwest means mold is less likely than in the southeast, but the sun also can bake the RV and dry out the components. It the RV was stored under a covered parking spot, that would be the best bet.

Old 12-15-2022, 09:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
If you search RV Trader for your particular size RV, you will quickly find the regions of USA who have a glut / huge market for these particular rigs.

As mentioned above... retiree areas are usually full of used RV's (when the FT and tired folks find a land based home and sell their RV.)

Covid put a lot of stress on the available RV's, but that will come to a quick end with fuel increases and inflation and necessity to go back to work.

My dinky town in central Texas has a LOT of RV sales (within a 2 hr radius of San Antonio)

FL has a bunch too.

Old 12-15-2022, 12:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Along I5 between Federal Way and Chehalis, Washington there are many dealers selling new and used. The highest concentration along I5 in Fife, near the Port of Tacoma.

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=lf:1,lf_ui:10&tbm=lcl&q=rv+dealers+fife +wa&rflfq=1&num=10&ved=2ahUKEwiuzbT7q_z7AhXSIX0KHc qPAcMQtgN6BAhKEAY#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:[[47.27181713437271,-122.22972642631836],[47.14330506172915,-122.49374162407227],null,[47.20760001823083,-122.36173402519532],12]

Old 12-15-2022, 01:29 PM

10,851 posts, read 4,529,826 times
and I thot this was gonna be about places like 'slab city'

Right now as the planet nose dives all the RVs gotten during plague are coming up for sale...there is going to be exactly zero shortage finding one for sale.

You do of course, wanna pay attention to where it live. *all* rvs leak. Therefore, find ones who had less rain, and at the same time, less baking sun, and never spent the winter in the open.

Old 12-15-2022, 02:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post

Right now as the planet nose dives all the RVs gotten during plague are coming up for sale...there is going to be exactly zero shortage finding one for sale.

You do of course, wanna pay attention to where it live. *all* rvs leak. Therefore, find ones who had less rain, and at the same time, less baking sun, and never spent the winter in the open.
Good advice, my 2017 25' trailer has not leaked but I have had to touch up the roof seal twice already, around the edges. At the very least look at the roof closely and look for signs of any water intrusion inside especially around the bathroom and AC unit. Mine currently has a tarp over the roof, and about a foot down around all of the edges.

Old 12-16-2022, 07:00 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
My first thought, too.

I was going to post a pic, but thought, nahhhh.

Old 12-18-2022, 01:14 AM

Default tucson craigslist only had

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
You can ask a moderator to move the thread here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/camping-rving/

I used to live in Tucson, and due to the high number of snowbirds and older RV owners who decide to sell their rigs, there are a lot of private owner RVs for sale. Try craigslist for Tucson, also Phoenix for an even bigger selection. The dry climate in the southwest means mold is less likely than in the southeast, but the sun also can bake the RV and dry out the components. It the RV was stored under a covered parking spot, that would be the best bet.
one ad for a small rv. surprising. In fact I checked a few cities on C.L. and pickings were slim to none.
Prices have gone way up and very few if any bargains.

Old 12-18-2022, 01:18 AM

Default Have you checked those

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If you search RV Trader for your particular size RV, you will quickly find the regions of USA who have a glut / huge market for these particular rigs.

As mentioned above... retiree areas are usually full of used RV's (when the FT and tired folks find a land based home and sell their RV.)

Covid put a lot of stress on the available RV's, but that will come to a quick end with fuel increases and inflation and necessity to go back to work.

My dinky town in central Texas has a LOT of RV sales (within a 2 hr radius of San Antonio)

FL has a bunch too.
sources recently. Tucson used to have a lot but nothing lately. I think it's a seller's market now. Prices are high and not much available. But I will check RV Trader and generally agree with what you've said. I'm probably going to look for an old conversion van or similar. They are hard to find in good condition.

Old 12-18-2022, 04:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
if you want something specific, set up an rss feed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS

I've done that for a vehicle that I use as a utility 'driver'. (52 mpg on free home brew fuel, roomy, 1250 miles / fuel stop) Only 700 were imported to USA, so I need to scan the whole USA and Canada to reap the ones that remain. I often get beat to the sale, even when one pops up in Nova Scotia (across the country from me)

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but if really inexpensive, you will need to be hunting hard. And in unlikely places (hard to sell regions). I found a used 7.3 diesel powered ambulance in a small Texas town for $3500. Very low miles, fully equipped (with a gurney too!). That was a steal and they were itching to sell it. My mom found a pristine low mileage Roadtrek 190 at a garage sale. (Estate Sale) in central NM (out-of-the-way). The sale was over when she happened by, and they wanted to dump the Roadtrek. $11,000 and she drove it for over 15 yrs and sold for $16000 (still pristine). She then found a Rialta in Deming for $12000 with only 30,000 miles. Drove for 5 yrs and sold for $17,000 and had a list of people wanting it.

I note the lots near my Texas home as jam packed with used RV's, where a yr ago they were empty. That does not equal a good deal, as dealers are like realtors. Once something is listed for sale, it is way over-priced and many people competing to buy it If you want a good deal, it will most likely come from an existing owner, not a dealer.

Conversion vans and buses are usually cheap for a reason.
I have a neighbor who has looked everywhere for a specific mini bus conversion. (Chevy / not Ford). It's either overpriced or worn out (often both). His best chance is to find a youth camp that is closing down and forced to sell. Or someone with bigger dreams than pockets who bought right and is forced to sell. Conversions can be superb, but usually a mess. (poorly done). Schoolies are similar. But if you've ever driven 1000 mile day in a schoolie.... you are a real trooper. They can be miserable on the road. (similar to some transit buses with short wheelbase, large overhang (for city maneuverability)

I'm looking for a Safari Izuzu Diesel (not chevy diesel) in the very short version with the drop down queen bed. They are like hen's teeth, but sometimes they pop up FS in someone's driveway. The last was in Tuscon and I missed it by 2 hours. ~$9000 original owner with lots of very expensive upgrades (Such as Diesel Genset, new Awnings, new tires...very low miles)

I also keep an eye out for BT Cruiser or Chinook on an F350 with a 7.3 TD. They are very few and very popular for discerning buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive