U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

10,599 posts, read 7,574,598 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what the OP is getting at but I think it has to do with personalities.

I built a Cobra replica 20 years ago and it used to be a great club of guys and for the most part it still is but now there are some snobs that don't even give me or my car a glance because it doesn't have this or that. I don't have a $10,000 paint job and some guys have more money in their engines than I do in my entire car but I didn't build it to win shows or races, I built it to have fun and it suits me.

I think there are snobs everywhere, they might be yesterdays bullies that have toned down their attitudes. I have even experienced this in my other hobby, model trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

3,635 posts, read 2,293,233 times
I've loved cars ever since I saw Norm Grabowski T bucket parked by my jr high, I was 13. Nowadays you can stand on the corner and watch cars for a hour or all day and only see a couple of any interest.

Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM

2,960 posts, read 2,724,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I'm not sure what the OP is getting at but I think it has to do with personalities.

I built a Cobra replica 20 years ago and it used to be a great club of guys and for the most part it still is but now there are some snobs that don't even give me or my car a glance because it doesn't have this or that. I don't have a $10,000 paint job and some guys have more money in their engines than I do in my entire car but I didn't build it to win shows or races, I built it to have fun and it suits me.

I think there are snobs everywhere, they might be yesterdays bullies that have toned down their attitudes. I have even experienced this in my other hobby, model trains.
Don’t they look down at the N scalers?

Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM

2,960 posts, read 2,724,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I've loved cars ever since I saw Norm Grabowski T bucket parked by my jr high, I was 13. Nowadays you can stand on the corner and watch cars for a hour or all day and only see a couple of any interest.
But you can drive to Rodeo Drive or drive Sunset Strip area and pull a chair up and see some interesting high end stuff.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

16,839 posts, read 10,342,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love car culture at its finest, but I am not too big into it. I been always more into the industrial and mechanical aspects of cars and less into the cultural aspect.

I don't know, seems like car culture used to be more stylish and structured , now it has developed a type of clique similar to that of gaming culture, I mean we even have wars of style vs style or petrol vs electric or manual vs automatic. What happened? Car culture is just now pretty revolting and menacing

That being said I could be wrong and be just judging car culture by its cover, what the heck do I know

I been to car shows and they're still good at least.

I sort of get where you are coming from. I am a car nut, I build them from the ground up and have more than I can ever use, however, I rarely participate in car shows or cruises, just one that I really make sure I go to every year, and I enjoy building them more than actually driving them.

I was President of a local car club for a couple of years, and I got burned out on it, frankly. In fact, the license plate frame on my one roadster says it all...……"Lone wolf, no club".

Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM

16,839 posts, read 10,342,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post

Man, I would have loved to see what you saw. We met Norm at Daytona Turkey Run some years ago, took a picture with him. The Norm you saw was the Norm you got...…..what a great guy.

I remember being a young kid and gluing myself to the TV every Friday night, watching 77 Sunset Strip, hoping to get a glimpse of that bucket. Those were the days.

Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

13,676 posts, read 15,455,919 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love car culture at its finest, but I am not too big into it. I been always more into the industrial and mechanical aspects of cars and less into the cultural aspect.

I don't know, seems like car culture used to be more stylish and structured , now it has developed a type of clique similar to that of gaming culture, I mean we even have wars of style vs style or petrol vs electric or manual vs automatic. What happened? Car culture is just now pretty revolting and menacing

That being said I could be wrong and be just judging car culture by its cover, what the heck do I know

And you had crusades.

Nothing new. Ford vs. Chevy. Sport compacts vs muscle cars. Electric vs ICE. Call of Duty vs Battlefield.

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

870 posts, read 228,161 times
I prefer cars to car people.

Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

2,430 posts, read 1,368,044 times
Quote:

Car culture in a broad sense has been declining for a long time. I tend to use Knott's Berry Farm as my overall indicator for the state of car culture. They used to have multiple car shows per year, an antique show, a kit car show, a "general" show, and then they'd have like a specific make/model show sometimes.

Now, they only have one show, and it's the Fabulous Fords show. My favorite in the past was always the kit car show, where you could see literally everything from Lamborghini's to Ferrari's to old Mercedes SSK and Jaguar 120 replicas. It was also a show where some people spent silly amounts of money to build those cars... but nowhere near the pricing of the real versions, which meant you got a lot more involvement from a larger group of enthusiasts, and everyone there enjoyed CARS, not a specific make or model.

Now, it is all cliquish, with many owners of the same car (not even the same make, just the same car) meeting up together. Boring. I blame Mustang and Camaro owners, to a lesser extent Vette owners for ruining the Dallas Cars and Coffee. It got to be where half the lot was filled with their boring stock cars and interesting and rare cars would get turned away. No joke, I once was behind a guy trying to get into the show in his Aston Martin DB5 (James Bond car) who was told he couldn't enter because there were no more general parking spots. Or the time a woman driving a Lexus LFA couldn't park with the rest of the supercars because a bunch of Corvettes had parked where they weren't supposed to and she had to park in the Toyota section with a bunch of Supras and MR2s. Half a million dollar car, thanks for coming out.

Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

3,690 posts, read 2,995,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
"Car enthusiasts not into car culture?"

Thats like saying Christians against Christ isnt it? lol
LOL! That's an old Sam Kinison line, btw. Comedian from the 1980s/early 1990s...

I believe OP is suggesting one can love fine engineering and not get off on hanging around with the 'bros and back-slapping over octane ratings, compression ratios, paint sealants, etc.

I have a somewhat exotic looking 911, that's only a little unusual when one gets into the details. I turn up at Saturday shows here in town, many summer Saturdays but I skip at least as many. I've hung out with Porsche Club, that "clique" he's speaking of, but equally amusing is the BMWs, Ferraris, and others that turn up for autocross and other events they host. They are relatively egalitarian that way.

I'm not a joiner and mostly don't give a ___t about anyone else's opinion or views about my ride, or theirs. But I know plenty about the brand; one almost has no choice. But one can also choose not to "fully" participate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or