U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 05:35 AM

17,646 posts, read 22,728,511 times

Advertisements

not sure what a car culture is....for people that live in them?

everyone has their own perspectives...

cars are the closest thing to music I like ...that takes me back quickly.

when we are young and impressionable..... its freeing......to be in a convertible flying down the road......and when I was growing up...we'd also be drinking a Schlitz... or driving to an event ...then having some cheap beer..

even if one didn't have a new or classic car.....our old high school cars...are still very memorable...because to get in a vehicle and leave the house..... we were adulting...and free...and if we dated in those vehicles... my god..the memories..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 06:32 AM

4,138 posts, read 3,710,293 times
I've always wanted a car that was good enough to be in a show, to build my own car, to race. To touch the culture more than talking aboutnit on boards, seeing it on tv, or video games.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:41 AM

3,109 posts, read 1,415,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
A Merkur is a German Granada/Scorpio/Sierra imported in the mid to late 80’s if I remember.... quite a rare car but
Only about a dozen mint original XR4Tis exist.

Few exist because they're not worth much and break frequently.
I drive it about 1K miles a year and have yet to get though a car show season without it having an issue.
At least it's easier to get parts now. Before the internet it was almost impossible, which is why they all went away.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:20 AM

2,964 posts, read 2,728,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
When it's an older model of car and you have a meet with only that kind, you get to learn (and often teach) tips and tricks to keeping them on the road. It's like a face to face version of a model specific Forum or FB group and can be a lot of fun. Hang out talking about the cars, family, whatever, learn some stuff, do a little work on a car or two, exchange ideas, etc. I've set up spring and summer meets for the last 10 years and have had a blast every year.
Sure, this makes sense. I do this somewhat on 6speed when I’m researching a problem.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:40 PM

1,936 posts, read 812,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Only about a dozen mint original XR4Tis exist.

Few exist because they're not worth much and break frequently.
I drive it about 1K miles a year and have yet to get though a car show season without it having an issue.
At least it's easier to get parts now. Before the internet it was almost impossible, which is why they all went away.
I bought a new 1982 XR4Ti. Fun car for the early 80's but I sold it after a couple of years. I also had a 4WD Scorpio when I lived in Amsterdam in the early 90's with a 'bomb in the trunk' - aka CNG. Fast, cheap car to run.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I bought a new 1982 XR4Ti. Fun car for the early 80's but I sold it after a couple of years. I also had a 4WD Scorpio when I lived in Amsterdam in the early 90's with a 'bomb in the trunk' - aka CNG. Fast, cheap car to run.
1982... first year for the Sierra.
It sure didn't look like anything else on the road back then. Everything was square in '82.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:35 PM

5,207 posts, read 1,721,466 times
I've been into cars since I was a kid (genetic) and I've never found 'car culture' very appealing. I've done a number of lawn shows, took BOC at a small but respected concours, and was a member of both a musclecar and a specialty car clubs. To be honest, I seldom met anyone I'd much want to spend time with except to talk about Mustangs, and as I like cars but don't live and breathe 104 octane and Meguiar's, I don't necessarily want to hang with car guys all the time.

Most are a little tiresome on the political side, as well.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Most are a little tiresome on the political side, as well.
Well, they're a bunch of old white guys, so it's not too hard to figure out who they're for.
I'm one of the younger old white guys and I'm 60 years old!

It does make me wonder what's going to happen to all of these old cars in the future.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:20 PM

16,846 posts, read 10,354,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Well, they're a bunch of old white guys, so it's not too hard to figure out who they're for.
I'm one of the younger old white guys and I'm 60 years old!

It does make me wonder what's going to happen to all of these old cars in the future.

I wonder about the same thing. Let's face it, we are on the downside of people being interested in cars, like we were. I had my first car when I was 11, and have hundreds since that time, and still can not get enough of them. But the younger people are generally not that much interested in cars, a lot of them don't even get a driver's license as soon as they are old enough.

Another factor is the government. Our old cars, no matter how much we love them, are polluters and gas drinkers. If you put a sniffer behind any of my cars, it would fail an emissions test......no cats, multiple carbs, big cams, all the stuff that does not make for a clean running motor. Sooner or later, some government official will introduce legislation to either limit our ability to drive our old cars, or squash them altogether.

I saw it during the gas shortage days, you could buy Hemis and muscle cars for a song, because everyone thought we would never see gas again, and we were all buying imports. It could happen again in a heartbeat.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:30 PM

I think the classic cars will get an exemption and the "regular" ICE cars will get banned.
This is in a distant future that I won't be alive to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or