U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:04 AM

13,684 posts, read 15,463,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I know people who rent cars to drive on road trips anywhere from 3-6 hours because they don't want to drive up the miles on their cars. What do they drive? One drives a Hyundai Sonata and the other a Dodge Challenger with the V6...

Cars were meant to be driven. I drove my Z06 on multiple road trips. Once a month I would make the trip from Oklahoma back to Chicago, 13 hours each way. Even daily drove it for a while, wasn't very practical, though.
This. Shows are fun for seeing rare cars that you don't see every day. Corvettes are like Corollas. They're everywhere, mass produced commodity cars. The point is to drive them. If you want to stick it in a hermetically sealed garage and bring it out for people to galk at in 50 years i could see it. If you're just going to buy it to pose next to it for a few years, just get the Corolla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:35 PM

7,138 posts, read 4,639,809 times
Rare and in particular custom-built cars are more impressive than something that's generic. But in my locale, Corvettes are quite rare. Few can afford them. Those who do, rarely drive them. Those who drive them, are in venues and situations that I rarely frequent. To me, a Corvette - any Corvette - is a precious and heartwarming sight. If 10 totally stock ones are parked in a car show, I derive pleasure just from walking by, maybe looking under the hood - even if everything under the hood is completely stock.

Even Corollas in my locale are unusual. Anything imported is something for the connoisseur, the iconoclast, the rebel. It's the land of domestic trucks/SUVs/minivans. I can't exactly celebrate the performance potential of a Corolla, but just seeing one conveys the impression that the driver bothered to try something beyond an F-150... and that already is pleasing to the eye.

Whenever I'm on travel in Los Angeles, a quotidian highway-commute is a rolling car show. Corvettes (and comparable "not rare" performance cars) abound. There's even the occasional exotic, or restored muscle car, or some quirky and memorable import from the 1970s. It's a beautiful reminder that there still exist comparatively large numbers of people who still cherish cars as objects of affection, performance of personal expression.

If only more of those people could be enticed to move to my current locale...

Old Today, 02:50 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,415,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Shows are fun for seeing rare cars that you don't see every day.
I drove 200 miles to a big cruise in Downers Grove (suburb of Chicago) in 2017.
Guy came up to me and told me he'd been going to every one of them for 4 years.
Mine was the first Merkur he had ever seen there. This was in Chicagoland, a darn big place.
Another guy driving a '59 Saab was pointing at it as he went by. Actually, we pointed at each other.

And then the car didn't make it back, which is exactly why you don't see any. It was quite the ordeal to get it back.
So now I stick around within "tow truck distance". If I can't get it back with a $75 tow, I don't go.

One of these days, I'll get brave again and venture forth...

Old Today, 02:55 PM

13,675 posts, read 43,605,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Rare and in particular custom-built cars are more impressive than something that's generic. But in my locale, Corvettes are quite rare. Few can afford them. Those who do, rarely drive them. Those who drive them, are in venues and situations that I rarely frequent. To me, a Corvette - any Corvette - is a precious and heartwarming sight. If 10 totally stock ones are parked in a car show, I derive pleasure just from walking by, maybe looking under the hood - even if everything under the hood is completely stock.

Even Corollas in my locale are unusual. Anything imported is something for the connoisseur, the iconoclast, the rebel. It's the land of domestic trucks/SUVs/minivans. I can't exactly celebrate the performance potential of a Corolla, but just seeing one conveys the impression that the driver bothered to try something beyond an F-150... and that already is pleasing to the eye.

Whenever I'm on travel in Los Angeles, a quotidian highway-commute is a rolling car show. Corvettes (and comparable "not rare" performance cars) abound. There's even the occasional exotic, or restored muscle car, or some quirky and memorable import from the 1970s. It's a beautiful reminder that there still exist comparatively large numbers of people who still cherish cars as objects of affection, performance of personal expression.
If only more of those people could be enticed to move to my current locale...

This can hardly be done. Your long, snowy winter with salted roads is anathema to "car guys" - I am sort of surprised you have stayed there so long - I know you have a good job there and for whatever reason aerospace is largely in the Midwest - but if you were to sell out and retire, you can move to a more car-friendly environment - which would not necessarily be Cali, BTW. In fact, while Cali has a good physical climate for car enthusiasts, the political climate is hostile enough that I for one would not even consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or