Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 02:35 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,699,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I blame Mustang and Camaro owners, to a lesser extent Vette owners for ruining the Dallas Cars and Coffee.
Amen to that. If you got a loan and bought a car anyone can buy at their local Ford or Chevy dealership, park in the spectator lot. Your car isn't interesting. I've gone to car shows and meet ups, seen these commodity cars, and turned around and left.

All I want to see is rare or custom cars. I've got some really nice cars in my garages. My wife asks me why I don't show them at these meets. Why would I? I didn't build them. I bought them. All that's going to happen is that people will walk up and tell me 'Nice Car!" and "I bet that was expensive". Yep, it is and it was. Not much fun in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 02:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,639,943 times
in reality the car culture has always been rather cliquish. street roders vs hot roders vs low riders vs racers vs pro street vs pro touring vs rat roders etc.

and even each has their own cliques within the general clique. its always been this way, and always will be. its the result of too many people focusing on a very narrow view of cars. some people are like "you have to have a corvette ro you dont have a car".

fortunately many of us take a step back, and can have with just about any car on the market. you dont have the money for a grand marquis? the crown vic is basically the same car and just as much fun to drive. you cant afford a vette? the camaro/firebird are just as fun as well if you open up your mind to other possibilities.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:16 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,172,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and even each has their own cliques within the general clique.
I am a clique of one.
Unless you go to the Merkur Club of America meetup at Carlisle All-Ford Nationals, there's probably not going to be one at your show.

Once I was parked next to those Vette guys and none of them could figure out what my car was.
I've found that most (but not all) of them have very limited knowledge of cars beyond Corvettes.
I didn't say anything... I let someone else "enlighten" them.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:23 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,255,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
This^^^^ same exact way. Nothing worse then a car show of same models, what’s the point? Coffee and cars is only show I’ll attend, but can only go every now and then as seeing same vehicles gets boring.
When it's an older model of car and you have a meet with only that kind, you get to learn (and often teach) tips and tricks to keeping them on the road. It's like a face to face version of a model specific Forum or FB group and can be a lot of fun. Hang out talking about the cars, family, whatever, learn some stuff, do a little work on a car or two, exchange ideas, etc. I've set up spring and summer meets for the last 10 years and have had a blast every year.
Attached Thumbnails
Car enthusiasts not into car culture?-midatlantic7s_line1.jpg   Car enthusiasts not into car culture?-ss852065.jpg  

Old 02-01-2019, 05:43 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,172,657 times
The single model clubs around here are all dying.
We're by far the largest club... you don't even have to have a car to be in it.

Some of the dying clubs are starting to contact us so that there are more than a handful of cars present.
And the Mustang club has changed their two cruise-ins to All-Ford.
The Mustangs all end up on one end of the lot and everyone else is on the other end. There are always many more of "us" than "them".

Old 02-01-2019, 07:12 PM

3,394 posts, read 6,041,243 times
I used to have a Corvette Z06. Went to a Corvette show once and was just disgusted at what I saw. Guys spent more time cleaning than driving their cars. I did not see the point in owning a car when all you did was brag about how few miles were on it and how little you drove it.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,639,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I used to have a Corvette Z06. Went to a Corvette show once and was just disgusted at what I saw. Guys spent more time cleaning than driving their cars. I did not see the point in owning a car when all you did was brag about how few miles were on it and how little you drove it.

thats the thing that slays me, guys trying to see how low they can go, as it were. if you want a piece of lawn art, then hire an artist to build you something, even in the shape of a vette. but cars were meant to be driven regularly.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:51 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,699,976 times
Quote:
thats the thing that slays me, guys trying to see how low they can go, as it were. if you want a piece of lawn art, then hire an artist to build you something, even in the shape of a vette. but cars were meant to be driven regularly.
Yeah. I want to see the one that has 250k miles, that you drove up the Dempster Highway, the one with a story. I can see low milage cars at the dealership.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:48 PM

603 posts, read 434,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I am a clique of one.
Unless you go to the Merkur Club of America meetup at Carlisle All-Ford Nationals, there's probably not going to be one at your show.

Once I was parked next to those Vette guys and none of them could figure out what my car was.
I've found that most (but not all) of them have very limited knowledge of cars beyond Corvettes.
I didn't say anything... I let someone else "enlighten" them.
A Merkur is a German Granada/Scorpio/Sierra imported in the mid to late 80’s if I remember.... quite a rare car but

Old 02-02-2019, 12:19 AM

3,394 posts, read 6,041,243 times
Quote:
I know people who rent cars to drive on road trips anywhere from 3-6 hours because they don't want to drive up the miles on their cars. What do they drive? One drives a Hyundai Sonata and the other a Dodge Challenger with the V6...

Cars were meant to be driven. I drove my Z06 on multiple road trips. Once a month I would make the trip from Oklahoma back to Chicago, 13 hours each way. Even daily drove it for a while, wasn't very practical, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive