U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 11:05 AM

778 posts, read 280,246 times

Advertisements

My wife's cousin is a race car driver who, unfortunately, is a dead-ass broke 23-year old. Great kid. He's completed in the USF2000, ProMazda and IndyLights. Every year, it's the same struggle - teams need drivers who have money who can drive. To attract drivers with money, they need to be successful. Often, they'll take a driver who has no money but can drive them to success so that they're positioned to attract other drivers with money.

Often, drivers will venture into other racing aspects to pick up rides. That has occurred with our driver who I'll refer to simply as V. V has driver 5 endurance events since Nov. His team won two poles and two events in the process.

One of those events was in Daytona. I typically travel to one of his races each year and there was no way I was not going to Daytona. It's a BFD to me.

I was lucky enough to recruit a buddy to attend the race with me. We flew in to Daytona last Thursday, came home on Monday. The second portion of the event was wet, windy and quite cool if not cold.

V's team was on the leader lap when the race was yellow-flagged around noon and ultimately, red-flagged an hour or two later. While they were in ninth, with two hours left to go and V slated to drive, they would likely have finished in the top three. I know this kid and this kid excels on a wet track. In his country, it literally rains every.single.day. and he's has way more experience than other drivers in the wet.

Woulda/shoulda/coulda. We'll never know.

The best part of the events was visiting V and a team he raced for last year. That team has an entry in the DPi series - the big boys. We were able to access their garage where the chief engineer spent some quality time with us showing us their car and answering our questions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 11:08 AM

Part of the enjoyment was walking around the Midway and viewing the various manufacturers' cars. There were some real beauties.

A little green hell for you:

Love the GT:

...but dislike the dash:

Old 02-01-2019, 11:11 AM

We were over by V's transport on Saturday when they began to push the cars to the grid. This was the ultimate winner of the race:

If you love carbon fiber, Daytona is heaven:

Old 02-01-2019, 11:32 AM

The Porsche vehicles were beautiful -

The race was actually yellow-flagged for rain early Sunday morning. I believe that in the 50 year history, this was only the 7th and 8th times that rain caused an interruption.

It was dangerous. As they came down the homestretch, the water coming off the back of the cars made visibility difficult. Two Lamborghini drivers paid the price.

As much as we suffered from rain and weather, Daytona, prior to the rain is beautiful at night.

I try to go to a different track every year given the opportunity. Daytona will be a repeat if young V gets another chance!

Old 02-01-2019, 11:50 AM

2,961 posts, read 2,728,395 times
If they ever run through Road America in WI go there, track is awesome. But I doubt a 12 or 24 hr races happens there. Fernando Alonso raced F1 right?

Old 02-01-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
If they ever run through Road America in WI go there, track is awesome. But I doubt a 12 or 24 hr races happens there. Fernando Alonso raced F1 right?
Correct. There's been some mention of Extreme E wanting him to race.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:08 PM

720 posts, read 1,267,995 times
Thanks for sharing your story and pictures. As a big fan of the series, I watched most of the race. You left enough clues to easily figure out who your wife's cousin is - while I'll have to take your word for how he does in the wet, I know he had the second fastest lap in class over the entire race, so he's fast in the dry as well apparently.

Hopefully he continues to catch some good rides.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
Thanks for sharing your story and pictures. As a big fan of the series, I watched most of the race. You left enough clues to easily figure out who your wife's cousin is - while I'll have to take your word for how he does in the wet, I know he had the second fastest lap in class over the entire race, so he's fast in the dry as well apparently.

Hopefully he continues to catch some good rides.
Drat.... you're a smart man! lol Thank you for the good wishes. If you know any multimillionaires, I can hook them up.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:50 PM

824 posts, read 337,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Fernando Alonso raced F1 right?
Kamui Kobayashi also raced in Formula 1, from 2009 to 2014. First for Toyota, then Sauber, and then one year with Caterham.

I attended the Daytona 24 Hours once, way back in 1983. It was also cold and rainy that weekend, too, and I didn't have an RV or motor home to take refuge in and watch the race on TV. My main memory from the race was the Group 44 Jaguar XJR-5 with lead driver Bob Tullius, the loudest car on the track; I could alway tell where it was on the track just by its sound.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:18 PM

That was the same this year for the two Cadillacs and Corvettes. Every engine was a beautiful sound but when these guys lit it up, you knew it was a V8.

If we go back, we’ll rent an RV, stock it with food and park in the infield. But the time we knew V was going, everything was sold out. Next year, we may simply pull the trigger and hope he goes as a driver. It’ll be fun regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or