U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM

5,337 posts, read 2,410,405 times

Advertisements

By now its a classic car. Nothing wrong with getting it fixed at a fair price. Head gaskets are not 1200$. It's the ridiculous labor charged. Take it to a vo tech school. These kids love a challenge. You pay for the parts and "donate" to the schools program. A good private pop shop mech. Will be fair in what it needs. My gasket part cost 73$ ...so let's not do the math to figure out their two hours of true labor.
It's ultimately your property . So it's your final decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM

5,117 posts, read 7,158,344 times
Does your car have a vagina?
Just wondering why you keep referring to the car as "she".
Vehicles have no gender.

Bob.

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

348 posts, read 267,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Does your car have a vagina?
Just wondering why you keep referring to the car as "she".
Vehicles have no gender.

Bob.
Unnecessary post. It has no value at all.

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

81 posts, read 11,820 times
Itís just a car. Suck it up and buy a new one

Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

348 posts, read 267,788 times
Once you let your first car go, it become easier afterwards to part ways with future vehicles. You'll get past your emotional attachment soon, which is the only value this car has, after you get your next vehicle and you have all of the modern creature comforts that come on even base model vehicles. The overall quality of cars have really advanced from 20 years ago.

You can replace the engine and something else major $$ goes out. You'll be ready to part ways then. Better to go out on a good note, than resentment from wasting money.

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

1,211 posts, read 754,957 times
You may want to consider getting rid of your Prelude and getting another Prelude in better shape (with working AC...). That generation was made from 1992 to 1996. Keep in mind you still would likely have to pay at least $1k to make sure all the maintenance is up to date.

I have this thing for the old BMW 7 series...

Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM

347 posts, read 97,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaolive3 View Post
I have a 1995 Honda Prelude that is the first car I ever owned. She has been reliable and I really love her. I bought her in 2003 (I grew up without much money so I was 20 when I bought her). This past year she needed a new alternator and new rotors which my husband had put on. This past weekend muddy sludge was coming out of the radiator so my husband took her to the mechanic and the radiator was cracked so the installed a new one (they couldn’t run any other tests to see if more was wrong with her due to the radiator) When they went to test it after install the fluids and oil were mixing so now they think she either had a bad head gasket or a cracked engine block. The radiator cost us over $500 and the head gasket would be over $1200 and the engine block over $2000. The mechanic felt bad for us after we just put the money into the radiator so he offered to tow it to our house for free. He said he can determine what is wrong with the Prelude for $300 but we aren’t wanting to put another minimum of $1200 if it’s the gasket. My husband has told them to hold off on towing her until we make a decision though because he is sad also. I am so attached to her and have literally sobbed over this for so long. There’s 210000 miles on her and the a/c hasn’t worked for years and neither does the ABS system so we know even if she was running we can’t get much money out of her. I just don’t know if I’m ready to let her go. Does anyone have any advice on how to get past the emotional attachment? And we’re you ever not able to get rid of a car because of it?
To start, cars are female to me, too. It's probably a holdover from my French-speaking days. (In Latin-based languages such as French, the word for "car" is feminine, i.e., "la voiture." Besides, if it is expected that one names their boat if they have one, why should a car not have a gender if not an actual name?)

Secondly, I truly get your attachment to your Prelude. She was not only your first car, but likely your partner in many road adventures over the years. Heck, Neil Young wrote a song about a car that he once owned, so you're definitely not alone in your sentimental attachment to your ride. (Long May You Run, if you'd like to give it a listen.) Cars are so much more than a mere appliance to get one from Point A to Point B for some of us.

My own older car (knock on wood) is nearly fifteen years old, but when it came down to selling her on my own or trading her in at the dealership when I bought a new car this past summer I just couldn't do it. I almost felt a touch of guilt when I turned her out of her garage spot in favor of the new car. (I use the older car as my daily driver, so she's been taking the brunt of this recent winter weather, poor thing.) I have my own reasons to be attached to my car, but I know that when the time comes that repairs go beyond general maintenance and wear items, I'll have to let her go.

My plan, when that day comes, is to either sell her to the local UPick where I bought several things for her over the years or to donate her to my favorite local public radio station since that is the station that is usually on the radio when I'm tooling about town.

Is there a charity to which you'd be willing to donate your car when the time comes for you to let her go?

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; Yesterday at 09:53 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM

29 posts, read 12,535 times
How about keep the car in your garage or backyard if you have space for it and look for a parts car for what you need to replace in your current Prelude? You don't need to keep it registered until it is ready to be put on the road again. Although you will have to get another car to use in the interim.

Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM

5,117 posts, read 7,158,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
Unnecessary post. It has no value at all.
It does if one would wonder why anyone would put a gender on an inanimate object.
If it has a vagina, it is a she, and if it has a penis, it is a he.
Vehicles have neither, so why give them a gender?

Bob.

Last edited by CALGUY; Yesterday at 10:57 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM

17,486 posts, read 21,521,610 times
I understand it. I intended to keep my current 93 Nissan pickup forever. But, this last year I put in about $2400 in replacing parts and rebuilding the transmission, and it's still running rough, so at minimum, needs a $400 tune-up and that's not guaranteed to fix the problem.

When the transmission failed, my mechanic said I should think about whether or not I wanted to keep it. I wasn't ready to let it go yet. I wish I had. But, I have come to terms with the fact that I need to stop throwing good money after bad with this vehicle.

I'm fortunate, in that I can "retire" the vehicle by selling it to the state of CA for $1500. My application to do so was just approved.

At this point, I need to just realize the truck has been good to me for a few years, I was able to use it to move far away, which saved me a couple thousand dollars, etc. So, overall, it wasn't a waste of money. But, it's time to retire the beast. And I'm just not the kind of person who is up to trying to part it out, etc. I just hate dealing with trying to sell stuff. I get so irritated with people who want what I have, but complain about it and criticize it, in order to get a better price. The whole game of negotiation is not fun for me.

I did put mine up for sale on Craigslist, to see if I could get more money, but that's not worked out yet, so I'm just going to sell it to the state and kiss it goodbye.

Anyway, I do understand your fondness for this car, but I also agree it's time to let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or