U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 02:04 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,001,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Same here. Never named a car either, that just sounds silly to me. If one is going to do that, why not just name your couches, dining room table, toilet, etc. may have to put name tags up at that point just to remember the names.
This is all amusingly peculiar. Reminds me of something I've heard about, though thankfully not witnessed in-person: at a child's funeral: mourner, to grieving mother: "I know just how you feel: I lost a cat once!"

Yes, people do say things like that, as unfortunately we've all heard at least once in our lives.

The first car I can recall owning for any length of time was my dad's Fox Body Capri, aka Mercury's version of the Mustang. 4-cylinder, 100 hp, junk on wheels that burned a quart of oil every 1K miles. Brand new, it was a disgrace that never should have left the factory, like most American cars.

Many years later from new...eight, to be specific... after my old man sold it to me for $1K I left it in a snowbank in Reno then left town a week or two. Oddly enough, it was there when I came back. Nothing could kill it. I kept it running another year, then parked it. Next time it ran was a year after that, when I gave it away to the Jewish Relief for a tax write-off. They drove it off after a jump start, cobwebs in the carbs and all.

Who gives a (hoot)? By that time the transmission had more neutrals than a Swiss phone book!

Objects are nothing to hold onto, per the Bible(1) (a book of wisdom, regardless of your faith) and just about any other major philosophical work. All we have are people or other living creatures and love we give, which in the end is about equal to the love we take. That's transcendent. Not some craptastic JPN car, my Rolex, or my custom 1911, those two latter items being the most "precious" objects I own...but are still just objects.

(1) (Matthew 16:26).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 10:05 PM

10,802 posts, read 7,873,855 times
Incorporate her into your garden somehow.
https://youtu.be/zjxz90hLYtw

Old 02-03-2019, 02:23 AM

5,596 posts, read 8,978,748 times
Boats, ships, train engines and planes have names, so why not cars? I have named all my cars (although I haven't assigned a gender to any of them). Three of them have had their names as personalized license plates. My 2nd car was my dream car (a modest dream, but a dream nevertheless ), a red Honda Civic, and it kept running for 20 years until finally the repairs would have cost too much, so I sold it. That was hard! But I kept the license plates, of course.

I'm surprised at the level of sarcasm in some posts here. Come on, we all get emotionally attached to some item or other in our lives, and the OP asked her question in good faith.

So, Teaolive, what I would do is get a photo book or Instagram series (whatever people do online with photos) together of pictures you've taken of your car over the years--I'm sure you have lots of them. Write down when and where they were taken. Have a "final drive" to some favorite place and take some final pictures or videos, then have a little ceremony once you're back and toast the car with your favorite beverage, and thank her for the good times. And then let her go, and start a new chapter of your life with a new car. (Contrary to when people rehome dogs and cats, you don't have to worry about the car missing you...)

Old 02-03-2019, 09:29 AM

1,270 posts, read 392,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I've never assigned a gender to a car (am I the only one?) - it's a car and yes if you've had it for a long time there are memories but ..... it's not a person.
I love my cars, but no, I've never assigned them a gender, nor have I named them. Again, I love them, I take fanatically good care of them, but they're a just a big piece of metal and some computer chips. They don't have feelings, they don't care about you. I have no problem selling or trading them, and I do so quite often.

I get it, there are good memories associated with them, but you will always have those memories even after the car is gone. Believe me, the car doesn't remember.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:37 AM

10,141 posts, read 8,312,174 times
Years ago I was emotionally tired of my Dodge Dart Swinger (love this old straight sixes), until I lost all my gears, except reverse, and got tired of driving backwards through alleys.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:32 AM

196 posts, read 62,536 times
I said goodbye to a cherished 2004 Subaru Forester last year. When the tow truck arrived, I kept my hand on its back window until the tow truck pulled the Forester away.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:42 AM

215 posts, read 304,876 times
I was emotionally attached to my 1968 Mustang convertible. But after having two back surgeries and two knee surgeries I realized I could not drive the car anymore. It hurt getting in and out of it. It sat for nearly a year and I finally parted with it. A young man who had wanted the car for 10 years bought it and he is truly enjoying it....that makes me happy.

Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

25,504 posts, read 60,946,534 times
It is like having a dog. We always had short lived dogs, so when the dog got old, we bought a puppy. That way when the old dog died, the kids still had a new puppy to love. Then they did not feel as bad about the old dog. find a new puppy to love.

Our problem was each consecutive dog was not quite as good as the prior one. However, after a while we got lucky and found one that is competitive in coolness to some of the earlier ones.

Cars are pretty much the same.

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

944 posts, read 829,871 times
Does it still spark?

Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM

18,547 posts, read 16,883,115 times
I put the old license plate of the wrecked sedan onto the new compact. I just look as the car having been reincarnated. I guess that license plate is now 20 years old. They last a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or