U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 06:06 PM

100 posts, read 13,550 times

Advertisements

If I own 2 vehicles (1 is a nice daily, the other one is a beater) and if I don’t drive the other car on a regular basis and leave it parked in front of my house what hazards are there to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 06:14 PM

2,150 posts, read 747,210 times
If its a beater why care? Having one parked in front of your home serves as a deterrence for theives. Criminals ain't too smart these days and will assume that someone's home if a car is parked out front.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:25 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,637,282 times
Obvious things will be mentioned in due time, but here are some less obvious ones.

Condensation accumulates everywhere, and no part of the car is truly sealed - including the engine. Left long enough without running, moisture will accumulate in the cylinders, and eventually in the bearings. Rust will form from the inside out. If driven on occasion, say at least once a month, the engine will reach operating temperature and boil off the various insidious elements, clearing ghe cylinders/rings, the bearings and valve seals and so forth.

Another problem is mold, especially if you have organic materials (leather) in the interior. With the car not operated, the windows closed, the HVAC system not running, moist stagnant air results in... organic growth... not to mention more rust.

"Long term" for most people is perhaps just the winter season. This is solved by keeping the car indoors (garage), adding fuel stabilizer and connecting a battery-tender. And it works just fine. Real problems accumulate when cars are left immobile and unattended for years, maybe decades.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:53 PM

1,020 posts, read 970,666 times
Tires can flat-spot if they rest in the same loaded position for too long. Gaskets, rings, seals, vacuum lines, etc might shrink or dry out. I say try and drive the car at least once every other week...I should take my own advice. Since getting 2 BEVs, our turbodiesels are just sitting there.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:55 PM

10,162 posts, read 7,806,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
If its a beater why care? Having one parked in front of your home serves as a deterrence for theives. Criminals ain't too smart these days and will assume that someone's home if a car is parked out front.
You will suffer the ire of your neighbors for making the area look trashy.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:59 PM

1,258 posts, read 390,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synott View Post
If I own 2 vehicles (1 is a nice daily, the other one is a beater) and if I donít drive the other car on a regular basis and leave it parked in front of my house what hazards are there to this?
This all depends on what you're considering a "regular basis". Just taking the car out on a nice long drive once a month will prevent most issues, you don't have to drive it every day.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:32 PM

7,317 posts, read 13,000,439 times
Loneliness, self-esteem issues. The usual.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:48 PM

1,934 posts, read 810,223 times
I have quite a few cars and many get driven sporadically. Never had an issue beyond a dead battery.

I've left my old Land Cruiser parked at a rural airport in Alaska for 6 months to a year while traveling. Other than needing a jump, the truck fires right up and has zero issues. I've been doing that for decades. I usually have a sunshade in the windshield but that's it.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:28 PM

100 posts, read 13,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You will suffer the ire of your neighbors for making the area look trashy.
Who cares? Itís a public street they canít do anything about it

Old 02-01-2019, 08:52 PM

9,296 posts, read 16,872,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synott View Post
Who cares? It’s a public street they can’t do anything about it
I've got no idea about where you live, but in my town you can only (legally) park a vehicle or trailer on the street for 3 days without moving it. Obviously people do, but if a neighbor gets tired of looking at a junker he can call the police and they'll come out and mark the tires, then come back and check it 3-4 days later.

That happened to me with a camper once. I normally parked it across town in a storage lot, but I had left it in front of my house for a week or more while doing some work on it. I don't know who called, but one next door neighbor was running a daycare out of her house, and I imagine either she or one of her customers called.

I didn't appreciate it, so I hooked it up to my truck and left both of them in front of my house for three days at a time, driving it around the block on the 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th days.

I live in a dry climate with lots of sunshine, so the sun here can do a lot of damage to paint and interiors. Hail damage is always a concern here in the spring and summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or