U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 05:20 PM

4,107 posts, read 2,267,229 times

Advertisements

Lexus LS, rides like a dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 05:54 PM

446 posts, read 328,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Prius- game over!
I will NEVER own a Prius. If I were given one, I would regift it.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:55 PM

446 posts, read 328,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Lexus LS, rides like a dream.
Love the LS. Owned a 97í with 126k miles for a little over a year and itís was probably the best riding car I have ever owned even to this day.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:06 PM

7,146 posts, read 11,004,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
I will NEVER own a Prius. If I were given one, I would regift it.
Truth! I'm the same.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:10 PM

7,559 posts, read 3,133,708 times
Leases are only a good deal for the dealers. They wouldn’t be in the leasing business if they weren’t making a profit somewhere. Prius seats aren’t very comfortable for a long ride.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,394 posts, read 38,414,620 times
run the numbers.... over life of vehicle

Consider a 'fixed' VW diesel Passat. Nearly 2x the economy of my Subaru and will easily last 2x as long.

Many LD couriers get 600k+ out of their TDI's

Old 02-03-2019, 07:51 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,464,035 times
I have run used Buicks for years for commuting. Can buy them real reasonable with 100k miles and run them up to 250k and still average overall 25 mpg. The ride is nice which helps ease the commute. Could probably do the same with a Lexus, or an Avalon. A luxury car or luxury SUV would make the drive more tolerable.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:03 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,832,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I have a hard time going along with your request that we ignore gas mileage. In these times of global warming I think it's irresponsible. You don't need to get the absolute most efficient vehicle, but I'm not hearing any utilitarian reason that you would need a truck or SUV, so I would rule them out.

Nevertheless, if you're driving that many miles a year I would probably start with reliability/longevity, including lifetime maintenance costs, and comfort. Factor the interior noise level into comfort because high noise levels are a major factor with a lot of time behind the wheel.
I would have to agree that although you are not paying for the gas, you ARE adding to your carbon foot print. Most folks don't care about it because they don't believe their little 'ole selves could make any impact, but everyone certainly has an impact. You could try to find a compromise between price and comfort, but in the end, if you don't care what kind of world you leave for your kids....

My boss had a fairly long commute and his strategy was always to buy a cheap used car and see how much he could get out of the car. He said his best cars got him well over 200k miles before he had to get something else. He usually kept the nice cars for local around town use. I think he said his all time favorite commuter was a ford escape which hit 300k.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:07 AM

1,943 posts, read 813,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
run the numbers.... over life of vehicle

Consider a 'fixed' VW diesel Passat. Nearly 2x the economy of my Subaru and will easily last 2x as long.

Many LD couriers get 600k+ out of their TDI's
I always wonder what people really mean by saying a TDI will last 'twice' as long as some other car. I've had a lot of friends who have had Jetta and Passat diesels and, although the engine and manual transmission are robust, the electronics are an absolutely nightmare. I reconfirmed this before posting. Every single one of them said that their dashboard looked like a lighted christmas tree most of the time they owned the vehicles, because sensors, electrical buses, ECUs, etc failed constantly. That doesn't sound like a great vehicle to me.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:49 AM

25,514 posts, read 60,960,338 times
When you drive a lot, comfort is paramount, especially if you are over 40. Get something that leaves you some room to wiggle and stretch. Pickup is a good choice. Full size van. Of course it is kind of dumb to drive all that iron around for just you, but those and great big sedans are really the only things that remain comfortable when you spend 6 hours or so a day driving.

If you get in an out a lot, test a car before buying it. Get in an out a dozen times in a row. If you drive for long periods, you might want to try sitting in the car for three or four hours and see how you feel when you get out (that is an unusual request to make to a seller though).

I made some horrible choices in this regard. It looks kind of funny if you arrive at a meeting, get out all bent over and lean over your hood for support for three minutes before you can unfold your body. People come running out and ask if you are OK. It is embarrassing.

To me, at least decent performance is also important. I want to have some fun sometimes, mix it up a little. It can also be a safety issue at times. Sometimes accelerating quickly is the only way to avoid an incident. It is not that common, but it provides a good excuse for wanting a fun car to drive.

A good stereo and more critically limited road noise is very important. You will likely want to mix music and talk to listen to. Talk is very hard to hear and understand with a lot of road noise.

Another thing to keep in mind is storage. If you are a long distance away from your base whether that be home or office, you will find you need to have some things with you. for me that means Water, snacks, ibuprofen, caffeine, pens and some pads of paper, a spare phone quick charger, flashlights, sunscreen, bug spray, a change of socks, work boots and a hard hat, basic tools, a tow strap. Sometimes I carry some coveralls for if I need/desire to stop and help someone in trouble. I do not want to lay in mud or snow or dirt wearing a suit. It really depends on you and where/how you drive, but most people find there is a lot of stuff they want to have along in various circumstances. For me it is different than for many people, because I sometimes need to go to remote areas and I am no good about figuring out what I need and making sue I have everything on the day I leave, especially not on Mondays.

To me a sunroof is critical as well. I get anxious after a while driving around in a Tuna Can. Our van is less a problem in that way because the ceiling is well above my head. My wifes little Lincoln Mark VIII makes me a bit skittery at times if I take it on a long trip.

MPG? Not really relevant to me. OK I am polluting a tiny bit more than other people, so I try to make up for it in other ways. for example, I recycled a house. Most greenies will need to drive a Prius for about 150 years to catch up with me as far as reducing carbon footprint.

My current solution is a Dodge RAM Laramie pickup. Reasonably comfortable, lots of room, 390/400 (hp/tq), tons of storage, amazing outside noise suppression (but watch what tires you get). he stereo is a little disappointing even though it is their TOL Kenwood system.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-04-2019 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or