U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 06:26 PM

7,565 posts, read 3,140,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I have run used Buicks for years for commuting. Can buy them real reasonable with 100k miles and run them up to 250k and still average overall 25 mpg. The ride is nice which helps ease the commute. Could probably do the same with a Lexus, or an Avalon. A luxury car or luxury SUV would make the drive more tolerable.
The Avalon isnít quite the good riding car they used to be. Just traded mine a 2015 limited hybrid. The gas mileage was great (40) but had uncomfortable seats and poor ride. Maybe the newer ones are better but they are also lower. Harder for getting in and out. Lexus 300h is the same car. Same seats. Why cant Toyota put some padding in their seats? I think the Corolla is more comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 06:31 PM

2,244 posts, read 528,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
Curious to what others who drive a lot For work are doing. I donít pay for gas so please donít factor that in for this convo. Talking just strictly cost and maintenance

I have thought about buying a mid mileage(60-80k) and high (100k plus) auto and driving to into ththe ground. Thought about a high mileage lease, and both purchasing new and cert. used.

Has anyone cracked th code on comin out on top or even just breaking even after 2-3 years of ownership?

Right now Iím driving a 2015 tundra and This truck seems to be the best option I have found so far for high mileage resell.
There are no unlimited mile leases at this time, nor leases that will cover 30k+ miles per year. Unless you lease a semi truck as an owner-operator. The last one was the Honda Clarity FCV with unlimited miles for 36 months.

DIESEL trucks. High trim level, 4x4... retaining some 40% of their value after 10 years and 200k miles.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:06 PM

446 posts, read 329,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I drive manual transmission Honda Civics and drive them until they are all used up. I drove my 1994 Civic for
21 years and 435K miles. Then I bought a used 2003 Civic with 200K miles for $1500 two years ago and have put on 50K miles so far.

BTW I think that every vehicle needs to have their basic systems refreshed every 100K miles, and that it's still fiscally sensible to do so as long as the vehicle's body and frame are solid. So I never minded having to replace the timing belt and water pump every 90K miles. I got 200K miles on my '94 Civic's original brake pads and rotors because of all the highway driving I did. I noticed that on Hondas, the ignitor and coils were good for ten years, etc... And the older the car got, the lower my excise tax bills and my auto insurance.

I would keep the 2015 Tundra and keep it well maintained and drive it into the ground. And in the meantime, keep a savings account towards a down payment on a younger used Toyota truck for your next vehicle.

Years ago, on some morning tv show, some financial expert crunched some numbers and said that trading in a vehicle every three years wasn't as smart as keeping a vehicle for 10 year. By the time I retired my 1994 Civic, I felt that she didn't owe me anything... rather I came out ahead with that car.
Good insight. Thanks. I’d say you sure get your money’s worth out of your vehicles. I think I could definitely get that kind of mileage out of my tundra being that it’s a easy highway mileage pavement princess and doesn’t tow anything.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 PM

1,216 posts, read 760,096 times
I'd be looking at a mid size or full size sedan or SUV with a normally aspirated 4 our 6 cylinder engine. No turbos.

I'd rule out an Impala and probably Kia because of hard seats (I rented a Sportage and it had HARD seat bottoms). Fusion and Taurus are reasonable as well as the usual Japanese cars.

I personally also like the TDI and VR6 versions of the Passat.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:44 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,834,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Used Prius.
I don't think a prius would make a good long distance cruiser. They make the best gas mileage in stop and go driving.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:37 PM

11,513 posts, read 9,518,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I don't think a prius would make a good long distance cruiser. They make the best gas mileage in stop and go driving.

I get around 48-50mpg on long trips. What vehicle gets better?

Old 02-05-2019, 07:41 AM

446 posts, read 329,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I get around 48-50mpg on long trips. What vehicle gets better?
I don’t believe anything gets better mileage than a Prius but I’m not interested in ever owning one. I just don’t think thy are comfortable at all and I hate the styling although the new ones aren’t bad.

On a side note. What is th averag miles expected out of a Prius before major batttery or mechanical issues are expected?

Last edited by Familyman6; 02-05-2019 at 07:49 AM..

Old 02-05-2019, 07:50 AM

920 posts, read 351,359 times
Can’t beat the resale value of a Honda as well their maintenance costs and reliability.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:27 AM

1,961 posts, read 817,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The Avalon isnít quite the good riding car they used to be. Just traded mine a 2015 limited hybrid. The gas mileage was great (40) but had uncomfortable seats and poor ride. Maybe the newer ones are better but they are also lower. Harder for getting in and out. Lexus 300h is the same car. Same seats. Why cant Toyota put some padding in their seats? I think the Corolla is more comfortable.
I think fit is highly personal. I wouldn't disregard the Avalon.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:28 AM

216 posts, read 35,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
On a side note. What is th averag miles expected out of a Prius before major batttery or mechanical issues are expected?
400k miles. That's what they are getting out of the ones being used as taxis. Battery issues are just not a problem with them, much like my Volt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or