U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 09:23 PM

687 posts, read 545,887 times

Advertisements

If you want a sedan, pick up a Dodge Charger hemi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 09:32 PM

25,540 posts, read 60,984,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
If you want a sedan, pick up a Dodge Charger hemi.
A real Hemi? or the new thing?

Old 02-05-2019, 10:50 PM

687 posts, read 545,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A real Hemi? or the new thing?
Well he needs a comfortable car for long commutes. So, yeah, a pseudo-hemi which is sold these days.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:52 AM

A G8 is also a decent choice for a V8 sedan, especially the GXP, but even the GT is a decent car with more room than most sedans.

There are a lot of good choices at all sorts of price points. It is really a case of needing to try out what fits for you personally.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:49 AM

4,157 posts, read 3,844,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
Curious to what others who drive a lot For work are doing. I donít pay for gas so please donít factor that in for this convo. Talking just strictly cost and maintenance

I have thought about buying a mid mileage(60-80k) and high (100k plus) auto and driving to into ththe ground. Thought about a high mileage lease, and both purchasing new and cert. used.

Has anyone cracked th code on comin out on top or even just breaking even after 2-3 years of ownership?

Right now Iím driving a 2015 tundra and This truck seems to be the best option I have found so far for high mileage resell.

Get used Lexus ES350 Sport.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:01 AM

2,257 posts, read 799,209 times
Spend $800 on a beater-- any beater. The extra you pay in fuel & repair costs over the next 3 yrs is still way cheaper than $30G for a new car that's gotta last 6 yrs, even after you buy another $800 beater the 4th yr.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:05 PM

1,966 posts, read 818,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Spend $800 on a beater-- any beater. The extra you pay in fuel & repair costs over the next 3 yrs is still way cheaper than $30G for a new car that's gotta last 6 yrs, even after you buy another $800 beater the 4th yr.
I like the direction you are going but I'd maybe raise it to $2500. Still inexpensive but, if you buy the right car, it will get the job done. I once bought a Volvo 960 wagon for $1500 just for this purpose. It had comfy leather heated seats, airbags, AC, power everything, cruise, a sunroof, an okay stereo, and was absolutely reliable. Car had some cosmetic bumps and bruises but who cares? One thing broke - the inside door handle - the entire time I drove it. Put almost 40k miles on the car and sold it for $2200. You just don't get a better deal than that.

The key - private party, 1 owner, all maintenance completed, with full set of receipts, and no rust.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:39 PM

2,253 posts, read 531,375 times
Quote:
A G8 is also a decent choice for a V8 sedan, especially the GXP, but even the GT is a decent car with more room than most sedans.

There are a lot of good choices at all sorts of price points. It is really a case of needing to try out what fits for you personally.
Not sure why so many G8 fans, 4 doors and 350hp, when the GTO, although a few years older, produced 400hp in '05-06 model year and was a coupe... likely cheaper, too. I'd avoid the 04's with the 5.7. They're not any cheaper.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Not sure why so many G8 fans, 4 doors and 350hp, when the GTO, although a few years older, produced 400hp in '05-06 model year and was a coupe... likely cheaper, too. I'd avoid the 04's with the 5.7. They're not any cheaper.
Pretty much the same reason I would not recommend a Mustang, Camaro, or even a corvette for this purpose.

The GTO is not a large roomy comfortable sedan. It is not easy to get in an out of. It also has a reputation as a kids car. Most of the ones you find are modded and have been driven hard. It has an LS1, which would not be my top choice for a high miles car (My brother tested them for GM. he has always told me to avoid them at all costs.). It is rather bland looking.

They were impressive cars and a fun muscle/pony car, but not really a great choice for a long distance daily for 30K plus a year.

Downside of the G8 is only the GXP was available in manual and they did not make that many of those with manual. It is basically the same car as the Chevy SS (except the Chevy is more bland) and the Holden Commodore (I like the look of the Commodore tiny bit better, but not enough to pay the import fee. It is only subtly different).

Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

1,966 posts, read 818,966 times
Quote:
Pretty much the same reason I would not recommend a Mustang, Camaro, or even a corvette for this purpose.

The GTO is not a large roomy comfortable sedan. It is not easy to get in an out of. It also has a reputation as a kids car. Most of the ones you find are modded and have been driven hard. It has an LS1, which would not be my top choice for a high miles car (My brother tested them for GM. he has always told me to avoid them at all costs.). It is rather bland looking.

They were impressive cars and a fun muscle/pony car, but not really a great choice for a long distance daily for 30K plus a year.

Downside of the G8 is only the GXP was available in manual and they did not make that many of those with manual. It is basically the same car as the Chevy SS (except the Chevy is more bland) and the Holden Commodore (I like the look of the Commodore tiny bit better, but not enough to pay the import fee. It is only subtly different).
And that exhaust note will get old real fast when you spend a large amount of time in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or