U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 04:43 PM

468 posts, read 345,006 times

Advertisements

I'm not a fan of mfg's nowadays cramming 4-banger turbos into all there CUVs and SUVs. No way some 4-banger will be as smooth as Honda's legendary J-series V6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 04:48 PM

3,116 posts, read 1,418,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
I'm not a fan of mfg's nowadays cramming 4-banger turbos into all there CUVs and SUVs. No way some 4-banger will be as smooth as Honda's legendary J-series V6.
2.0T's are used for reasons that have nothing to do with how good the engines are... displacement tax avoidance and gaming CAFE.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:05 PM

4,765 posts, read 2,657,919 times
I have driven cars ranging from a 2 cylinder Fiat Bianchina to a V12 Jaguars, each has its own sound. Variety is the spice of life.

3 cylinder 2 stroke Saabs were really different, especially when the muffler blew out.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:18 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,305,970 times
V engines are the worst sounding engines, except the V12.

Inline engines sound better.

I6 sound best. V12 sound good cause they are two I6s.
V6 are the worst sounding engines. I3 MIGHT be worse, but I haven't heard one for decades.

It's physics, due to sound waves, valve timing, and cylinder timing

Old Yesterday, 12:42 AM

4,202 posts, read 5,666,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Turbo engines sound different. The putt putt sound youíre hearing is the turbo chop. The hesitation is turbo lag which should be really minimal as most turbos today are variable
The putt-putt sound I heard in the RDX turbo was no different from the putt-putt sound I hear when I rent a Toyota RAV-4 or Ford Escape when I'm out of town. It improved slightly when I switched to "sport mode" but still had the underlying putt-putt.

Oh, someone mentioned the automatic shutoff -- it also has that...wow, that's kind of shocking in the beginning. Feels like the car has stalled out. Then as soon as I lifted the brake, before I even had a chance to put my foot on the gas, the engine started up again. Certainly didn't mind that as much as the putt-putt.

Old Yesterday, 01:58 AM

166 posts, read 26,748 times
I’m not a fan of 4’s .... much prefer i6’s to V’s and much prefer V8’s and V12’s to those. I’m a fan of some of the modern turbo V8’s because of the massive wide almost diesel like torque band you get. I’m not a real fan of peppy engines of any kind I much prefer smooth low down grunt to a engine you have to rev the *,^~ out of to get moving quickly.

Old Yesterday, 05:42 AM

14,035 posts, read 30,186,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
V engines are the worst sounding engines, except the V12.

Inline engines sound better.

I6 sound best. V12 sound good cause they are two I6s.
V6 are the worst sounding engines. I3 MIGHT be worse, but I haven't heard one for decades.

It's physics, due to sound waves, valve timing, and cylinder timing
Iím sorry but an I4 does not sound better than most V6ís, especially considering NVH tends to be much worse.

Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM

4,156 posts, read 1,794,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Have never, nor will I ever purchase a vehicle with a 4 cylinder engine. I prefer the power and don't care about MPG
If you know how to drive you don't need 350 HP in an ordinary vehicle. It would be good training for everyone to spend some time driving lower powered cars so they would learn how to use what you have.

Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,369,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
If you know how to drive you don't need 350 HP in an ordinary vehicle. It would be good training for everyone to spend some time driving lower powered cars so they would learn how to use what you have.
I've driven the little 4 bangers and have a V8 now. I can use what I have, and I've driven some pretty decent 4 bangers, but it's much nicer to not have to rev the crap out of an underpowered 4 banger to get up to highway speed vs. just "going" with my V8 - nice and smooth.

The 4cyl in my wifes Camry isn't bad at all - other than being "different", it's not underpowered, just revs higher than my 8 does. The 4 banger I had in a Chevy Equinox as a rental was the worst engine I've ever driven - had to floor it on ramps to get up to highway speed, it was terrible.

Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM

25,511 posts, read 60,946,534 times
They make a system that plays fake engine noise over your sound system. It reads the RMPs and makes engine sound.

Soon no one will even know the beauty of the roar of a tuned V8. Eventually even the little angry hornet buzzy sound of 4 cylinder ICEs will be gone and your grandkids will have no idea what an engine "should" sound like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or