Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 06:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Have you spent any time with a classic 4 cyl sports car or sport sedan like the Alfas I posted before? They aren't "buzzy" in the slightest. Even the new Fiat 500 Abarth isn't buzzy, and has a nice little growl instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BuZmJmpTdk

Skip to 4:40 here and listen to Mercedes' 2.3 twincam rumble:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANv83OJk--4
Yes they are.

I have a Jensen Healy. It has a lotus 907 (evolved from a racing engine). Defineitly buzzy. When I was in a good sized JH club we would go on trips together - a swarm of 5-12 JHs coming into town sounded like a swarm of locusts was descending on the unsuspecting townsfolk. It brought people outside even through a group of motorcycles roaring into town or a V-8 car club was not an unusual sound and was obvious to townsfolk what was going on. Those little buzzy fours en masse was a curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 12:04 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,397,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Cylinder count and configuration absolutely does impact the exhaust note. Drive by under load and unless the exhaust note is totally muffled I can correctly guess the cylinder count probably 80% of the time.

The STi is the only Subaru left with unequal-length headers. And they'll likely be gone with the next-gen STi.
I'm no car expert but I feel like I can tell even when the car is just started. Noticed it on a neighbor's car today.

So glad I'm not the only one who is bothered by this! And yes, the 2019 RDX turbo-4 had a lag too, a few times when I was stepping on it pretty good. I don't know what I am going to do with the next lease, I don't think I can stand the sound of the "little engine that could" for the next 3 years!

Old 02-08-2019, 06:42 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I'm no car expert but I feel like I can tell even when the car is just started. Noticed it on a neighbor's car today.

So glad I'm not the only one who is bothered by this! And yes, the 2019 RDX turbo-4 had a lag too, a few times when I was stepping on it pretty good. I don't know what I am going to do with the next lease, I don't think I can stand the sound of the "little engine that could" for the next 3 years!
You can still get the 3.5 V6 in the Camry, but you really have to search for them. Honestly I’m starting to like the 2019 Avalon, and I may consider one in another year or two when I can find a nice used one.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:20 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
V6 in a front wheel drive transverse mount engine vehicle is a pretty poor choice. Serviceability goes straight out the window.

Other than my 1974 Vega, I have never had a four cylinder car I felt was underpowered. And I have been living in big cities with lots of freeways, my entire life. But, I know how to drive.

The sound doesn't matter to me. I keep my exhaust system in good shape with OEM type mufflers so you can hardly hear the engine sound from inside anyway.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:28 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,031 times
Quote:

Pretty much every turbo, regardless of size 4/6 will have lag. The turbo has to spool up. Nature of the beast.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:40 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,667,931 times
Quote:
Sometimes you can tell right at startup, sometimes you can't. Cars like the Mustang GT and Corvette and what-not with a specifically tuned exhaust note are obvious from the first half a second. On other cars, the exhaust system might be so quiet that you can barely hear anything unless it's under load.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:31 PM

4,618 posts, read 4,885,665 times
Quote:
Except when it doesn't have a NVH-designed exhaust.
My stock FiST has a much lower and louder exhaust note than all my neighbors - except for the brodozer with straight pipes and the girl with a Fusion Titanium with an aftermarket exhaust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive