U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,448,333 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used this service? I am looking at possibly purchasing a low mileage used 2018 Volvo V60 Cross Country. Prices off Dealer lots for this model hover around $32K, Carvanna prices hover around $28K. New, these cars cost around $45K and the redesigned 2019 models have not yet been released

Saving $17K to buy a one year old car with less than 12K miles is attractive to me, but is the Carvana service trustworthy?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM

2,159 posts, read 752,560 times
Was considering them last year. Did all the steps until the purchase one, at which point I decided against it. Kept researching via Google and reviews. The end result was I bought my last truck locally as the price was cheaper and I received more for my trade in than Carvana had quoted me. I basically used Carvana as a comparison when it was all said and done.
I did like their return feature though. Who knows, maybe my next purchase.....

Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM

11,499 posts, read 9,504,718 times
It's a nice idea in theory but it's really hard to pull the trigger on something so pricey without at a minimum seeing it in person first, and preferably test driving it. I understand they give you a return period or whatever but the hassle of all that doesn't sound worth it in my opinion.

Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

5,090 posts, read 5,156,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Has anyone used this service? I am looking at possibly purchasing a low mileage used 2018 Volvo V60 Cross Country. Prices off Dealer lots for this model hover around $32K, Carvanna prices hover around $28K. New, these cars cost around $45K and the redesigned 2019 models have not yet been released

Thanks,
This is a newer startup company with a neat idea.

In practice the results are mixed and the disasters can be obscene.

Do a Google search of reviews.

There is one where the lady bought a new car.
You pay up front for the car before it is delivered.
No notice of when new car is going to be delivered to your home. They just show up. Sometimes at night.
The buyer has to meticulously go over ever inch of car for damage. The car should be placed on a lift to make sure that there was no underneath damage. But not allowed as delivery driver makes you sign off on car as acceptable immediately.

The car(SUV) delivered was the correct brand and model but the wrong trim level. Buyer did not catch this at this nighttime delivery.
Multiple calls to Carvana with debates as to car pictured that lady bought and the trim level.
After multiple calls to Carvana over weeks of time Carvana admitted that they made a mistake in either the picture or the description or both (can't remember entire story).

So lady has paid for a car. Signed for the car. Car sitting in driveway. But wrong trim level. To it's credit, Carvana sent out another car - the right trim level - and picked up the first car.

But this took over a month - with multiple calls. Multiple blame.

So do read up on the reviews.

Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM

13,688 posts, read 15,468,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It's a nice idea in theory but it's really hard to pull the trigger on something so pricey without at a minimum seeing it in person first, and preferably test driving it. I understand they give you a return period or whatever but the hassle of all that doesn't sound worth it in my opinion.
Pros and cons.

You'll learn a lot more about a vehicle in a week than a 30 minute test drive. On the other hand 30 minute test drives really help narrow the selection. At one time I wanted a Honda Fit. A five minute test drive wad all I needed to know I definitely did not want a Honda Fit.

Caravana has it's niche. If you don't like cars and have mild social anxiety i can see it. I really enjoy car shopping, which is how I imagine some people are about clothes shopping. There's a few dealers that have really ground my gears, but they're the minority. Most have been pleasant. The trick is to do your research ahead of time so you know a ballpark fair price. If that dealer doesn't want to sell you the car, no problem. It just means more time looking at cars, something I enjoy anyway.

I would assume Carvana prices on the high end. Hopefully better than Carmax. They might save some money on retail costs by those aren't that high for a used car lot. Whatever they save there is probably more than offset in delivery. Transporting cars one at a time to a customer's door is not cheap. Limited selection. Really looking at lease returns. Anything else the delivery costs are going to make It too unattractive.

Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

2,293 posts, read 646,132 times
Yeah during the Caravan they're gonna be bringing millions of Dodge Caravans

But no I haven't

Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,418,919 times
Carvana have two niches that I can see... unusual cars and short range EVs.
They sell a lot of short range EVs because they deliver. I've looked at Chevy Sparks there and they just fly off their site.

If you want something that's not common, they can bring that too and save you a long trip.
Otherwise, meh.

Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

13,688 posts, read 15,468,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Carvana have two niches that I can see... unusual cars and short range EVs.
They sell a lot of short range EVs because they deliver. I've looked at Chevy Sparks there and they just fly off their site.

If you want something that's not common, they can bring that too and save you a long trip.
Otherwise, meh.
Any dealer will deliver. It just is a matter of whether it's worth the price. They don't really do niche cars other than maybe EVs. You'll get the occasional Miata, Mustang, Camaro or whatnot but that's about as interesting as it gets. It mostly off-lease BMWs and Mercedes as far as "interesting" cars go. There's a Miata that popped up. But for $26,400 (including shipping fee) on a vehicle worth more like $20,000 it's a tough sell. I imagine it's just been sitting there for some time. Miata prices took a big dive when the 2019 with the power bump came out. Understandable. I'd be looking for a discount unless I was buying it with immediate plans for a turbo or supercharger as the 2019 ECU hasn't been cracked yet. The $6,000 premium is, imo, far too much for a seven day return policy and streamlined experience. Maybe if it was a $120,000 luxury car or something but on a $20,000 Miata its far too much. Lotus Elise, maybe. Those are rare enough there's a chance you'd need to fly somewhere to look at it or just YOLO it sight unseen. Miata that's not necessary. They're available locally.

There's also a Jaguar F-Type SVR (one of two Jaguar F-Types). Price is more reasonable. Living here, again, you could just buy that locally but most of the country you probably couldn't. And three Porsche 911s with less reasonable prices. So they do have a few interesting cars. On the other hand there's hundreds of off lease BMW 3 series, about as many Camries, and half as many Accords. The Camry and Accord to me tells the story. While the Camry does out sell the Accord I think the reason you see so many more Camries (and the same number of BMW 3-series) is leasing. Honda doesn't really push the leases on the Accord the way Toyota does with the Camry. And BMW, well, the majority of BMWs are leased not bought. While Carvana does buy cars from individuals, I suspect they do so in small numbers and the vast majority of the vehicles are lease returns bought at auction.

I'm kind of meh as well. I'd rather just go down to a dealership and see if I like a BMW 3 series or a Mercedes C Class or an Audi A4 or a Inifiti Q50 or a Jaguar XE. Nowadays (new) I'd be looking first at a Genesis G70. In a couple years I imagine there will be a number of them on Carvana. I still wouldn't go that route. Hyundai did a good job on the publicity of the G70. They got the car into the right reviewers' hands and got them to say things that very much put it on my radar. That doesn't mean I'm going to just take one without driving it and comparing it with the competition for myself, however.

Last edited by Malloric; Yesterday at 12:31 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,418,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Maybe if it was a $120,000 luxury car or something but on a $20,000 Miata its far too much. Lotus Elise, maybe. Those are rare enough there's a chance you'd need to fly somewhere to look at it or just YOLO it sight unseen. Miata that's not necessary. They're available locally.
I've seen a number of Cadillac ELRs on Carvana, which is a sub-$30K car that is not very common.
It's something I'm thinking about buying in the future.
I'd consider buying one from them, since it's a car that's unlikely to be available nearby.

Here's one that's coming soon, the much rarer 2016 model:
https://www.carvana.com/details/1180...llac-coupe-2d-
Good color combo, too. That's not a horrible price for it.
They only made a few hundred 2016's, which are a much better performer than the 2014's.

Last edited by eaton53; Yesterday at 12:23 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM

10,181 posts, read 7,819,025 times
Carvana has a written seven day return period. You can return the car for any reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or