U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 07:12 PM

4,129 posts, read 2,273,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
The only acceptable "Mid-Life Crisis" car is a Corvette.
Give me a Jag Fype Vert or Coupe over any vette any day. I donít car that the Vette is faster and will grip 1.10 gís; that is not the purpose of a mid life crisis vehicle.

Iíll take a vert in BRG on tan or a coupe in silver.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp...t-left-top.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a6/bd...ade216ce51.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 07:20 PM

10,178 posts, read 14,603,260 times
Oh c'mon... Stop that German nonsense..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04J0BwFnPa8

Old 02-05-2019, 07:23 PM

4,159 posts, read 7,802,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Iíve had a couple of discoveries for nice drives .... North Port and out towards Arcadia ...
Yes, we have found/driven most every two lane road in SW FL; Naples area for 8 winters and Venice/Sarasota for past 6 winter seasons.

I wasn't dissuading the OP. I hope he gets whatever car he wants...no driving in our last year(s) or, 'after'.

We are just slightly spoiled 7 months a year living in the mtns of far western NC: dozens of remarkable curvy, twisty, empty two lane blacktops, and the higher elevation stretches of the BRPkway are 20 mins from my garage.

We enjoy SW FL, we enjoy driving around in western NC.
GL, mD
Attached Thumbnails
Mid-life crisis vehicle !!!!-brpkway-car-shot-cloudybright-miday-7  

Old 02-05-2019, 07:45 PM

3,341 posts, read 638,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Florida.....enjoy the sunshine, find a convertible that will do what you want.

We were driving with the top down today after receiving a text saying it was 14 degrees in the northwest.
I was surprised when I first started snowbirding how few convertibles are down here in Florida. The explanation from locals I got is that it's just too darn hot and humid not go without AC most of the year. I see more back up north.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:16 PM

5,336 posts, read 20,985,078 times
I have always had rag tops so replacing the S2000 will be another convertable.

Cars under consideration now are are 1) the new Z4 6, not available until later this year; 2) a Jag F-type convertible, 6 or used 8; 3) Corvette Grand Sport convertible, the most bang for the buck; 4) Porsche Boxster or used 911 Cab.

I may test drive cars over the next year but since few are available in my area it is difficult to get back to back impressions.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:18 PM

17,170 posts, read 18,543,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Did you not read the OP and see he only wants a European car?
Then he shouldn’t list those cars as midlife crisis. He should just say I want one of these four cars. Which should I get.

I think OP needs to grab a dictionary and look up the definition of midlife crisis.

A Volvo......yeah sorry ...that’s the exact opposite of crisis. So are all the other cars OP listed.

Now a older XKE, Aston, Lancia, Maserati, would be midlife crisis cars.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:26 PM

3,719 posts, read 3,008,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Florida.....enjoy the sunshine, find a convertible that will do what you want.

We were driving with the top down today after receiving a text saying it was 14 degrees in the northwest.
Well, it was 17 degrees in Seattle at 8:30am today. That's rather freakish. Suck it up, I figure!

But amusingly enough, I did take out the "crisis car," my 911 C4 GTS for the first time in a few weeks. We have snow on the ground, and as you might gather plenty of ice, but it was actually amusing going slow enough. Summer tires, yes, but I took my chances. It clawed around okay. Never discount the value of AWD on a little snow and ice, which says zero about how well it stopped (not very, as expected. I grew up in Michigan, no great shakes).

911s are a hoot and holler, but as someone else said if really smoking it to the filter, I'd take a real, really close look at a slightly-used GT4 in a color like Race Yellow, Riviera Blue, or Guards Red. Mine buries it, but at 50% more cost (MSRP to MSRP)? Hmph. Amusingly enough, GT4s are holding value whereas my GTS is slowly sliding...Porsches like that, the exotic GT4 and most 911s, do tend to hold their value "better" than many/most cars, if OP cares about that as-well.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:03 PM

790 posts, read 283,306 times
Get a CPO Porsche - enjoy the extra warranty with unlimited miles and then, if it’s not to your liking, sell it six months before that warranty runs out. That extra bit of warranty will help you sell it.

Porsche has a great car-locator tool. Here....let me help you spend your dollars. Lol

https://nationalpreownedporsche.com

Old 02-05-2019, 09:37 PM

31,370 posts, read 25,105,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I guess you've never heard a V-12 Ferrari, a Merlin, or a Pratt & Whitney 4360?

in my opinion, the best sounding engine in the world is the V12 ferrarri at full song. you cant beat that cry of those horses being unleashed.

and as much as i like the sound of a merlin engine, my second favorite engine sound at full song is a 10,000hp top fuel engine just before it goes through the lights at the end of the track.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:36 PM

5,143 posts, read 7,171,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
The only acceptable "Mid-Life Crisis" car is a Corvette.
Maybe I have been living under a rock or something, but what the hell is a mid life crisis?
I never felt any crises in my entire 80 years.
I did however buy a Corvette convertible five years ago.

As a young guy, I admired the Corvette, but never felt the need, or want for one.
When I turned 75, I happened to see a very clean, well cared for 04 Vette convertible while at the grocery store.
It really did catch my eye.
Perhaps the bright red, with white top was the eye catcher.
The elderly guy that got into it as I was putting my groceries in the car, caused me to think I just might want to look into getting one.
The more I thought about it, the more curious I became about these Corvette's.

It didn't take long to find one I really liked.
It's an 04 convertible in magnetic red/ with light oak top, and interior.

Despite that some may look and say, "just another old man going through a mid life crisis', I am way the hell beyond mid life.
I enjoy the car, and couldn't care less what others think.
I didn't buy the Vette for them, I bought it for me.

At my advanced age, I consider myself extremely gifted, not only in having a fine car, but I am still able to get under it and do repairs.
This past week, I had to replace the shift cable, and any one who owns a Vette, knows what a pita that job is.
It isn't like I can't afford to have the car serviced, I just rather do the work myself.
I trust no one to ever work on any of my vehicles, and as long as I am physically able to work on them, I do, and that includes those that were still under warranty.

I know people who have given up their Vette because they could no longer get in, or out of it without some serious effort.
I am one of the lucky ones.

As I said, it wasn't bought to fend off some mid life(or for that matter, later life) crisis.
I simply bought it because I like the car.
I would say to the OP, buy the one that makes you happy.
It doesn't have to make a statement, just has to be a joy for you, every time you slip behind the wheel.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or