U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 11:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,899 posts, read 52,233,588 times

Advertisements

The documentation fee is higher than most, but is meant to cover the cost of the finance guy doing all the paperwork. The Dealer Prep can mean anything and is pretty much just bogus markup. The fact is that if you tell them up front that you will not pay it they will simply adjust any discount to maintain the same profit. What I do is finish negotiations on the price first, then refuse to pay those fees, and walk away if they don't agree. When buying from a "program" like Costco, the prices and additional fees are pretty much set, with very little room for negotiation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 11:44 AM

18,860 posts, read 17,167,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Unfortunately, no. Looks like I got screwed out of $700.

The car is being driven from another dealership tomorrow maybe 40 miles away. (the color I wanted the dealership didn't have in stock.)

Now, because the agent didn't know the exact miles driven tomorrow he wanted me to sign for the car and leave the mileage area blank. I insisted on a figure of 50 mile.

Anything over that and I will demand a price reduction or cancel the deal.

As said above, you only got screwed out of $299 not $700.

Old Today, 03:18 AM

280 posts, read 112,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The documentation fee is higher than most, but is meant to cover the cost of the finance guy doing all the paperwork. The Dealer Prep can mean anything and is pretty much just bogus markup. The fact is that if you tell them up front that you will not pay it they will simply adjust any discount to maintain the same profit. What I do is finish negotiations on the price first, then refuse to pay those fees, and walk away if they don't agree. When buying from a "program" like Costco, the prices and additional fees are pretty much set, with very little room for negotiation.
no it's meant to steal 500 dollars from the op.
don't pay that garbage or the prep fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or