Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 12:03 PM

13,717 posts, read 7,987,762 times

Advertisements

I went to a Honda dealer and very much liked the Honda Fix 2019.

However, I compared the warranty between the Fit and the Kia Soul and it appears the Kia provide much better coverage.

All thing being equal I would prefer the Honda Fit.

However, the extended warranty for the Soul has me re-considering buying it.

Looking at the two warranties below do you feel the coverage for the Soul is that much more superior to the Fit?

The Soul is about $1400 more than the Fit.

Should I ask how much extended coverage would be for the Fit?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Honda Fit

Years/Miles

Basic Warranty
3 / 36,000

Powertrain (years/miles)
5 / 60,000

Rust Through
5/unlimited

Roadside Aid 3/36,000

Kia Soul

Basic Warranty
5 /60,000

Powertrain (years/miles)
10 /100,000

Rust Through
5/100,000

Roadside Aid
5/60,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 02:57 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
I personally wouldn't worry about reliability with the Fit.

From what I am aware of it's been one of Honda's most reliable newer models.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:58 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
They’re both very reliable cars so I wouldn’t worry about either. If you like the Fit more get it. Set the $1400 difference aside in savings for a repair/maintenance budget. Don’t buy an extended warranty.

I would take the Honda manual transmission over the Kia, but I would take the Kia automatic over the Honda CVT.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:04 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,772 times
would take the newer versions of the soul over the fit... but that's just me

Old 02-05-2019, 04:03 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Buy the fit, skip the warranty & leave the money in the bank.

A used 60k mile engine for a 2015 fit is under a grand & you won't need one. (that's why they're not expensive!).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-16-Honda...sAAOSwUqBaxD5X

Worst case, a four or five year old Honda engine just isn't going to cost much & labor to install would likely be under a grand as well, so the warranty isn't really protecting you from much of a loss ..

Buy what you like, take decent care of it & leave the extended warranty on the table.

Fwiw, it's pretty common practice for manufacturers to send postcards offering really great pricing on the factory-extended warranty just before yours is about to expire.. So if you really really want coverage similar to the KIA, you can likely get the extended warranty for half what the dealer will quote you when you buy the car.. Warranties are high-profit items.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:34 PM

O.k. the dealer tried to slip a few extra upgrades and when I said no and began walking out the door the manager said, "We will give them to you for free"

(free upgrades include tinted windows, splash guards, wheel lock and trunk tray. The salesman had the audacity to add them to invoice without asking me. Total cost for the extra would have been around $850.)

Honda Fit bought using the Costco pricing.

The car is $17,274. It is a 2019 Honda Fix with an automatic transmission which is a bit more expensive than a manual. The price includes Destination cost as well.

Additional costs
Tax is $1414.72
Documentation Fee: $499
Dealer prep: $299

Old 02-05-2019, 07:28 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post

Additional costs
Tax is $1414.72
Documentation Fee: $499
Dealer prep: $299
Your joking, right?

Never paid any documentation fee nor ever paid any dealer prep on any new vehicle purchased.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Your joking, right?

Never paid any documentation fee nor ever paid any dealer prep on any new vehicle purchased.

Unfortunately, no. Looks like I got screwed out of $700.

The car is being driven from another dealership tomorrow maybe 40 miles away. (the color I wanted the dealership didn't have in stock.)

Now, because the agent didn't know the exact miles driven tomorrow he wanted me to sign for the car and leave the mileage area blank. I insisted on a figure of 50 mile.

Anything over that and I will demand a price reduction or cancel the deal.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:15 AM

O.k. I l left a message for a Costco Car representative to give me a call. I explained I am happy with the car but upset I am required to pay $499 for a documentation fee and $299 for Dealer Prep.

I said I was required to put down a $5000 so I could have the car delivered from another dealership which has the color I wanted. I will be paying the balance and picking up the car today.

I also explain after asking others I find out the $499 documentation fee and the $299 Deal prep costs are added to pad the to the pricing. That people usually don't pay such costs and should not be included in the cost of a car.

Hopefully, I will get a return call.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:24 AM

957 posts, read 2,021,351 times
We've had several threads on here about the documentation fee (including one within the last few weeks).

It varies greatly by region, and each state has different laws regarding it and different areas within a state have different local 'customs', where dealers charge more or less depending on the competition. I will say this, if the dealer charges a documentation fee, it is very unlikely you can NOT pay the fee. In some states, they have to charge all customers an equal amount by law. The way around that would be to negotiate an equal amount off on the car, so while you are still technically paying the fee, you've reduced the price of the car. That makes some people feel "better", but the honest truth is, if the dealer was willing to take off that amount, you didn't negotiate the lowest price in the first place. This doesn't really apply to you, because you are using Costco pricing, which probably is a set price, plus the documentation fee. Not sure you'll have luck getting it waived.

Those coming on here stating "I've never pad a documentation fee" probably live somewhere different than you do, or haven't purchased a car in a long time. I know of a few dealers (not in my area) who charge no doc fee, and are glad to give them my business, but in many areas you can't find a single dealer that doesn't charge one so you are stuck if buying locally.

The dealer prep fee is a different story. Normally, you would never pay that, as the dealer gets paid by the manufacturer to prep the car. It's either 1) extra BS profit for the dealer, or 2) since they are getting the car from a different dealer, only one dealer gets paid from Honda, so they are trying to recover costs from you. Either way, it's very valid to not pay it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive