U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 01:49 PM

3,511 posts, read 954,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
In a rational society there would not be so many regulatory barriers in place to prevent an auto company -- or any other company -- from bringing a new product to market rapidly. A basic small pickup should be a very easy thing to manufacture, using many off-the-shelf parts -- and to make a profit from sales of even a few tens of thousands.

But there are so many requirements in order to meet government rules, and so much time consumed meeting those requirements before a small pickup can go into production, that automakers are dissuaded from even trying.
There is no off the shelf parts automakers use just in time delivery for the material and parts needed to make a vehicle. Sheet metal parts are stamped out the same day the vehicle is going to be assembled they have their semi trucks and trailers transporting parts back and forth from the stamping plant to the assembly plant same as the Powertrain components. They donít stock up huge surplus of parts anymore. And it no easy or quick to revamp a assembly plant to make a new vehicle nor is it cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 02:22 PM

834 posts, read 341,614 times
By "off the shelf" I mean using engines and transmissions the company already make, along with most other components.

Actually there is a company that makes kits for those who want to convert their VW, Subaru, Audi or Dodge Charger into a light-duty pickup. That would be the Smyth kit car company; do a Google search.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:25 PM

By "off the shelf" I mean using engines and transmissions the company already make, along with most other components.

Then what assembly plant you going to use, you know one with a moving line that can accommodate the off the wall parts. What type of robot welders you going to use remember every pice of machinery is specifically made for a certain vehicle. So you will need a whole new platform to move the off the shelf vehicle you would need a new paint booth and dryer to cure the paint. You would need all new sub assembly stations throughout the plant. If you have never seen a vehicle being made like i have because i worked at FCA Warren Truck assembly plant. You can’t just use any plant to make any vehicle. Why do you think certain vehicles are made at certain plants. You can’t make a off the shelf vehicle on a pickup assembly line or a sedan line. Engines and transmissions are not interchangeable on every type of vehicle.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:09 PM

12,749 posts, read 8,689,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
why not build your own instead? find an S10 and swap in an LSx motor from any variety of GM cars, and keep your vette as well.
I want factory new. Any S10 is gonna be ragged out with dried out plastics and insides that are beaten up from sun damages and wear and tear. I want a factory new reg cab S10 Xtreme with the 610hp i have in my Vette and would pay 60k in a flash. Already had two V8 S10's that were hack jobs. I only want one car or truck no room for 2.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 PM

12,749 posts, read 8,689,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Yep thatís the only way youíre going to get one because GM never put a v8 in any of their S10s or GMC S15ís.
Dumb move on their part. A Xtreme with at least a 5.3 or LS1 to give Ford some pressure on the Lightning they sold. I had a 99 and a 03 Lightning and never could get used to the size.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Dumb move on their part. A Xtreme with at least a 5.3 or LS1 to give Ford some pressure on the Lightning they sold. I had a 99 and a 03 Lightning and never could get used to the size.
Why would GM even think about doing it it defeats the pourpuse of having a small pickup. If you want a v8 get a full size.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:58 PM

1,991 posts, read 827,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
In a rational society there would not be so many regulatory barriers in place to prevent an auto company -- or any other company -- from bringing a new product to market rapidly. A basic small pickup should be a very easy thing to manufacture, using many off-the-shelf parts -- and to make a profit from sales of even a few tens of thousands.

But there are so many requirements in order to meet government rules, and so much time consumed meeting those requirements before a small pickup can go into production, that automakers are dissuaded from even trying.
Nothing is easy, whether you build 1 of them or 10,000. And, given product liability issues, the vehicle better by perfect safe judged by all criteria.

There was a time when vehicles were brought to market quickly, with little deep engineering, hand built, and basically slapped together. An example is Land Rover. They sold a ton of vehicles but that would never fly today. They were dangerous at anything more than walking speed (underpowered, under braked, destroyed with minor crashes), unreliable (even if easily repaired), and expensive. Killed Land Rover many times over. No one will go back there.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:01 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,019,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
The Frontier fits in my garage. Anything like a Colorado, Canyon, Tacoma, etc...is about the same size.
I'd get out the measuring tape or laser and simply compare garage width to online specs for the above. My Tacoma has fit into three standard-sized garages w/o issue, so far. Whatever that standard width is: if anyone cares, I'll run the laser over it to the half-inch.

I'm not super-hip on all the pickup models, but my Gen 2 Tacoma is a "medium" pickup and behaves like it, in terms of hauling and parking, with a big old V6 that moves it smartly. More-so with the TRD supercharger, for-sure.

Frontiers are or were the only competitor for so long, guess they too are medium trucks. Rented one last year, seemed nice enough though the only Nissan I'd buy is a sports car.

Thought the Colorado was a medium-truck competitor to the field of two and two only, above. Canyon maybe same?

Going used, I had a small Chevy LUV from the early '80s awhile, at the end of the '80s. It ran great. Not sure anything else about it was great. I owned it one winter and left it in a Midas shop, where it might be to this day for all I know. I paid $150 for it, wth. Come to think of it, the heater worked great. The very definition of "a heap," but for a small truck, sure was convenient and would fit anywhere. Engine by Mitsubishi, as many were in that era (like our c. 1982 Chrysler LeBaron).

If OP likes that, and older Ford Ranger could be an option...

Old 02-11-2019, 03:13 PM

1,356 posts, read 411,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Why would GM even think about doing it it defeats the pourpuse of having a small pickup. If you want a v8 get a full size.
They put the 5.3L in the first generation Colorado/Canyon...

Old 02-11-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
They put the 5.3L in the first generation Colorado/Canyon...
It didn’t sell because of the price for the price they wanted you could get a full-size Silverado. Same thing with the Dakota you see it didn’t sell either. So no GM will not put a v8 in the Colorado you can get a 2.8 diesel though it’s turbocharged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or