U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 06:58 PM

20,466 posts, read 35,128,343 times

Advertisements

Fine for the big 3, just don't park them in most parking lots where NO ONE can see around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 07:22 PM

3,496 posts, read 951,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Fine for the big 3, just don't park them in most parking lots where NO ONE can see around them.
Sorry can’t do that they pay taxes just like you and have every right to park we’re there want. Just be careful backing up you know you’re head dose go left and right to see if anything is coming while backing up.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Sorry can’t do that they pay taxes just like you and have every right to park we’re there want. Just be careful backing up you know you’re head dose go left and right to see if anything is coming while backing up.
Large four door 2500 F-250 and larger are about impossible to see around in any normal sized parking spot even going slowly. They need designated portions of larger sized parking lots for oversized vehicles.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:34 PM

9,305 posts, read 16,902,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

But unless you're a farmer, construction contractor/worker or some similar occupation, how is this relevant to the average person's everyday needs and why would they buy one of these?
Keep in mind that *most* pickup owners buy 1/2-ton pickups.

Also keep in mind that those 1/2-ton pickups are NOT rated to haul large boats, 5th wheel campers, etc. My last pickup was a 3/4-ton -- Ford F250 PSD. I purchased it new in 2000 to haul/tow my smallish (5-ton) 5th wheel camper. A year later we traded the camper for a bigger one and were right at the maximum load for the F250. A few years later we bought another camper. It would have been bigger but the truck wasn't set up for heavier loads. We really wanted a camper that would be comfortable for living in year-around. For what we wanted, an F350 dually was minimal; a medium-duty truck ideal.

Alas, we can not afford that kind of rig today. Sold the F250 and camper, bought a Prius and a tent!

Point is, for those who need heavy-duty 3/4-ton and 1-ton pickups, the "little" 1/2-ton pickups are toys not big enough to do the job. And there are a LOT of people who need the big pickups and diesels.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:14 PM

6,492 posts, read 3,561,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post

That's what your backup camera, ultrasonic sensors and rear cross traffic alert are for. The other day I was backing my wife's Outback out of a spot where I was sandwiched in between two pickups. I saw the pedestrian traffic in the camera well before they showed up in the outside rearview mirror and stopped backing up until they had passed. Use the available technology and parking next to large vehicles is no big deal.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:03 AM

17,185 posts, read 18,580,981 times
The average sale price of a full size pick up truck truck last year was 47,000. So someone IS buying these trucks tha5 are “unaffordable”

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2018/02/...urchase-price/

Personally I could care less what someone buys or does with their money.

As far as a 1/2 ton pick up truck being able to do more than it’s rated, well so can a 3/4 ton. But liability comes to mind. You go overloading or towing heavier than the truck is rated for you could be looking at a liability. 1/2 tons are great used for what they were designed to do.

Most people have no idea what towing 10,000 pound trailers feels like.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's what your backup camera, ultrasonic sensors and rear cross traffic alert are for. The other day I was backing my wife's Outback out of a spot where I was sandwiched in between two pickups. I saw the pedestrian traffic in the camera well before they showed up in the outside rearview mirror and stopped backing up until they had passed. Use the available technology and parking next to large vehicles is no big deal.
I don't have a backup camera, ultrasonic sensors, and rear cross traffic alert on my 2004 vehicle. However, I will keep that in mind as I'm sure those are standard features in most newer vehicles once I buy something "newer."

Old 02-09-2019, 11:32 AM

317 posts, read 145,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Heavy duty: Detroit's 'Big Three' automakers roll out biggest pickups this year
https://www.clickondetroit.com/autom...kups-this-year

The truck in the photo doesn't even have an 8' bed. I don't consider any pickup "heavy duty" unless you can put a stack of 4x8 plywood in the bed and shut the tailgate.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:11 PM

2,034 posts, read 2,226,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
The truck in the photo doesn't even have an 8' bed. I don't consider any pickup "heavy duty" unless you can put a stack of 4x8 plywood in the bed and shut the tailgate.
I like that consideration.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:41 PM

2,985 posts, read 2,743,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Friend needed a new 3/4 ton truck and had to have 4 doors and 8 ft bed. He was lucky to find one where we live with 4m people here. The demand for 8 ft bed is minimal, or dealers would be ordering them. I will never buy an 8ft bed for my lawn/snow truck, I don't need or want my truck to be 50ft long. Yes, my friend struggles compared to cars parking his truck in busy parking lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive