U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 02:57 PM

6,492 posts, read 3,561,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
The truck in the photo doesn't even have an 8' bed. I don't consider any pickup "heavy duty" unless you can put a stack of 4x8 plywood in the bed and shut the tailgate.

Bed length has nothing to do with light duty vs medium duty vs heavy duty. You can buy a half ton with an eight foot bed. That just makes it a long bed truck, not a heavy duty truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 06:19 PM

9,305 posts, read 16,902,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
The truck in the photo doesn't even have an 8' bed. I don't consider any pickup "heavy duty" unless you can put a stack of 4x8 plywood in the bed and shut the tailgate.
My last 3/4-ton truck was a 2000 F250 PSD. I wanted/bought an extended cab with an 8' bed, mostly for towing a 5th wheel camper. I was happy with it, but I think if I buy another one (F350) it'll be a crew cab with a 6' bed IF I can get a dually that way. The extended cab would fit a couple adults but not comfortably, and I appreciated the longer bed but never really needed it and seldom used the extra 2 feet. The crew cab with an 8' bed is just too long if you can get by with something a couple feet shorter.

But that's why it's available in various configurations -- different people have different needs.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:23 PM

3,496 posts, read 951,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Bed length has nothing to do with light duty vs medium duty vs heavy duty. You can buy a half ton with an eight foot bed. That just makes it a long bed truck, not a heavy duty truck.
It’s the truck frame that is one of the difference between a 1/2 3/4 and a 1 ton pick along with different rear ends and engines and body cladding. When i worked for Chrysler at their warren truck assembly plant i worked in the KDX dept. we put together the frames for all the different pickups and i assure you the frames are very different in thickness and weight.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

9,624 posts, read 5,957,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The average sale price of a full size pick up truck truck last year was 47,000. So someone IS buying these trucks tha5 are ďunaffordableĒ

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2018/02/...urchase-price/

Personally I could care less what someone buys or does with their money.

As far as a 1/2 ton pick up truck being able to do more than itís rated, well so can a 3/4 ton. But liability comes to mind. You go overloading or towing heavier than the truck is rated for you could be looking at a liability. 1/2 tons are great used for what they were designed to do.

Most people have no idea what towing 10,000 pound trailers feels like.

You are correct on that. Years ago I towed a friends boat across state, at that time I had thousands of miles pulling around 7500lbs...this boat and trailer were close to 12,000. It's a huge difference, especially in traffic. Out on the flat open freeway I did roll around 75-80mph with no traffic around.

Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

4,658 posts, read 11,732,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
From the article:

"..Fiat Chryslerís Ram brand started this yearís contest, unveiling a new heavy-duty pickup in January. The 2019 Ram, which goes on sale in April, has an optional 400-horsepower, 6.7-liter six-cylinder diesel with 1,000 pound-feet of torque. The company says it can pull more than 35,000 pounds and carry 7,680 pounds in its bed. Torque, a measure of rotational force, is a big deal for buyers because itís needed especially when pulling trailers up big hills.

General Motorsí GMC brand was next with the heavy-duty Sierra. Its 6.6-liter diesel has 445 horsepower and 910 pound feet of torque. Towing and payload capacities havenít been released yet, but Phil Brook, GMCís vice president of marketing, says the truck can tow more than 30,000 pounds.

Ford is unveiling a new Super Duty version of the F-Series Tuesday and putting it on display at the Chicago auto show. It didnít release power numbers either but said the new truck, due out in the fall, will offer the companyís highest-ever towing and payload ratings. Ford also added a larger 7.3-liter V8 gasoline engine to its lineup, joining a smaller V8 and a 6.7-liter diesel. The larger gasoline V8 gives people more towing ability at a cost lower than a diesel, said Todd Eckert, Fordís truck marketing manager....."

For people who actually need a new vehicle with these capabilities, this offers them some options.

Okay.

But unless you're a farmer, construction contractor/worker or some similar occupation, how is this relevant to the average person's everyday needs and why would they buy one of these?
The average person who does not need mega-towing/payload capabilities does not buy these vehicles. They buy 'regular' half tons and some uptight people have a problem with that too.

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

4,658 posts, read 11,732,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I had an uncle who lived on a cattle farm in KY, he died back in the early 90s, the largest truck he ever had was a 1/2 ton Chevy, and I could just see his face when someone suggested he spend close to $100K for a pickup truck!

He always said guys that bought those larger trucks were wasting their money, 1/2 tons could do more and haul more than they were rated for.

People back in his days tried to get by with what they had and they probably overworked their trucks more often than not, but it seems that has changed today, guys that tow today look at the towing figures on the truck, where as, guys in the past, would just say, Ehh, my truck can haul it.(even if its not rated to).
Yep and that is not a safe proposition. I would much rather have the trucks towing out on the road be underloaded than overloaded.

Old Today, 02:42 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,761,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Unless you ordered the base 2wd single cab model with the proper package very few 1/2 tons come equipped remotely close to towing anywhere near a diesel capacity. Even then I wouldnít want to tow with a 1/2 ton.

I bet it will be the typical 10 mpg towing. Itís 444 cubic inches so itís gonna be pretty thirsty. But if you need to tow and dont wanna pay 10k more for the diesel (and arenít planning on keeping it for 400,000 miles not to mention the possible higher costs of fuel and maintenance ) the port injection should have relatively acceptable fuel numbers. The buyers of such vehicles understand they arenít buying a gas sipping Prius.
10mpg towing is better than I got with my F150 with 3.5 liter Ecoboost V6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive