U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 11:33 PM

14,250 posts, read 9,148,893 times

Advertisements

Is this the equivalent of spontaneous combustion? And they are not even electric cars.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/mysterious...opstories.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 07:53 AM

25,540 posts, read 60,997,353 times
Insurance claim.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:58 AM

14,250 posts, read 9,148,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Insurance claim.
Meaning what? Owners torching their cars and getting away with it? Interestingly, it's not just BMWs. It's pretty remarkable for a SITTING car to catch fire AND nobody knowing why, including the manufacturer.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:56 AM

1,969 posts, read 820,677 times
This is a fairly common occurrence around here, whether the car is parked or being driven. I would guess an electrical issue. Given the number of BMWs with electrical issues this isn't a surprise. The challenge is troubleshooting the issue when all the evidence is destroyed by the fire.

There was a fire at the Newark Airport parking garage last week that destroyed over a dozen cars. Would not be surprised if it was caused by the same issue.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:54 PM

8,728 posts, read 6,435,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Meaning what? Owners torching their cars and getting away with it? Interestingly, it's not just BMWs. It's pretty remarkable for a SITTING car to catch fire AND nobody knowing why, including the manufacturer.

Didn't Chevy have a massive recall for just this on the ignition switches back in the early '00's?

That being said, there's about three causes for vehicle fires.. Electrical, fuel-related or the aforementioned insurance claim (Be it by the owner or caused by ruffians with molotovs)

I've heard that some of the early DI engines had several recalls due to fires.. Not the engine itself, but the high pressure rail/pump developing leaks.

Electrical.. Even on a gas powered vehicle there's literally hundreds of places for a fire to start. A wire bundle routed in a bad place gets chafed... Shorts out when you get out and slam the door..

Old 02-06-2019, 02:26 PM

1,969 posts, read 820,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Didn't Chevy have a massive recall for just this on the ignition switches back in the early '00's?

That being said, there's about three causes for vehicle fires.. Electrical, fuel-related or the aforementioned insurance claim (Be it by the owner or caused by ruffians with molotovs)

I've heard that some of the early DI engines had several recalls due to fires.. Not the engine itself, but the high pressure rail/pump developing leaks.

Electrical.. Even on a gas powered vehicle there's literally hundreds of places for a fire to start. A wire bundle routed in a bad place gets chafed... Shorts out when you get out and slam the door..
One other - adhesives and composite parts. There have been a fair number of cars that have burst into flames when being driven due to overheating of adhesives and composite parts in the engine compartment.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:48 PM

1,308 posts, read 403,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
No, it was Ford and it was both ignition and cruise control deactivation switches. They had a series of recalls from 1996 all the way to 2009.

https://www.autosafety.org/ford-crui...s-and-history/

Old 02-06-2019, 03:43 PM

10,178 posts, read 14,609,851 times
They all have batteries, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GI4rwSqrEk

Old 02-06-2019, 03:58 PM

10,642 posts, read 7,601,751 times
It happens and I almost lost my truck to a fire. I was getting a strange odor through the vents on the road and planned to check it out as soon as I pulled into the parking lot that I was heading for. What I didn't realize was that my power steering reservoir was cracked at the bottom and dripping fluid, when I got on the highway to travel to the next exit I noticed a cloud of smoke in my rear view mirror but didn't think it was me. I got off the highway stopped at a light and saw smoke coming out of the wheel well area, the light changed and I pulled into the parking lot, got out and I saw flames! I grabbed a bottle of water I had, tossed it on the fire and luckily it went out. The air flow at highway speed must have pushed the drips onto the hot manifold where it caught fire.

I got the truck fixed and now I carry a fire extinguisher just in case.

One day I was out in the yard and heard a loud pop. I looked down to the neighbors house and the guys truck was on fire and the pop was the rear window blowing out. It turned out that a carelessly disposed cigarette had started the fire.

It was a battle with the insurance company but he ended up getting a new truck.

Car fires do happen for many reasons.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:01 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,467,740 times
This is why I would never park a vehicle in a garage attached to a house. A detached carport is fine. I have encountered electrical shorts on cars, farm trucks and tractors where positive wires short against the block. A fire can be avoided if the wiring can be pulled away from the ground source quickly. If it is a short in an ignition switch, or some other component, I would try to disconnect a battery cable as quickly as possible and grab a fire extinguisher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or