U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 07:02 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,610,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by player07 View Post
Hello all,

I currently own a 2012 ford fusion SE. It is a 4 cylinder vehicle, the car runs great but it is not exciting. I want to buy something else that is more fun to drive but doesn't cost too much. I am willing to spend up to $20,000 for something that is up to 6-7 years but should be fun to drive.

My first choice is a 2013 infiniti g37X. It is a solid fun to drive vehicle with a rear wheel platform, it is just perfect for me but it has uncomfortable seats. I take monthly road trips for 3 + hours and I can't seat in that seat. i am not sure if there is anything else that is out there. iPlease note I need an awd(because i live in snow country) and something ideally with 4 doors and somewhat on the lower maintenance side. It should be comfortable and have a modern interior.
I also own a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL and I think it's a fairly quiet car with comfortable seats and good handling. But its acceleration is moderate because it has the 2.5L 4 cylinder engine.

OTOH, My wife has a 2014 Ford Escape Titanium AWD with the 2.0 ecoboost engine. That one puts out 270 Lb-ft of torque and accelerates with vigor.

Its seats are also comfortable and the traction in the snow is commendable.

Try it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 07:40 AM

2,034 posts, read 2,227,861 times
AWD, FWD, RWD, the big thing is ground clearance in snow.

I enjoy driving a QX50 Infiniti. A bit small except for the front seat passengers, but awesome handling for a small SUV, plenty of power out of the 325 HP V6. The AWD gets us in and out of the mountains despite the weather conditions.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:54 AM

12,539 posts, read 6,519,256 times
Quote:
Thanks for this. I am living in Alberta where we don't get a lot of snow but it does snow. The reason for AWD is my car gets stuck in snow on an average of 2-4 times a year where I am have to a spend a good 15-20 minutes shoveling to get the vehicle out. It is always in the parking lot, but once i get on the road from the parking lot then I am fine. Mind you when i shovel it is snowing heavily outside and cold so not the most comfortable time outside, if i have a heated garage then this problem can be some what avoided but I don't.

There are areas where i drive in the middle of the winter where the roads are not ploughed but i see SUV's and trucks going there without a problem but my car wouldn't make it or if it does on an occasion make it then it does with great difficulty. It isn't a huge deal as they happen rarely and I just avoid going there after a snowstorm but an AWD is nice to have and will inspire confidence. I don't really have snow tires but as far as i know they help in cornering and braking but not to get you going.

So the question is -Can i live without an AWD? yes, sure I can as i have lived for so many years without it (a shovel helps) but prefer to have an AWD as I can afford a vehicle with it now.

I am wondering if I could change the seats of the infiniti g37X as that would solve my problem. The only other car that comes to my mind is a Lexus gs 350. I am not sure if it as exciting to drive as the infiniti g37x

OK. This required some shoveling. I broomed off the SUV that morning and went skiing without touching a snow shovel.

Is this CDN $20,000? My sister has lived in Vancouver since the 1980s so I'm generally aware of Canadian car prices. You're going to get suggestions here assuming United States and US dollars. A CDN$20,000 BMW or Audi is going to be older and more of a repair risk than a US $20,000 version which is still going to have considerable repair risk. Those are the traditional AWD driver-oriented sedans.

I see a 2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6R at a Nissan dealer in Red Deer for CDN $23,995 with 72,000 km on it. You should be able to negotiate that down to closer to CDN $20K. I own an Outback 3.6R. The seat is adequate but you'd never confuse it with a Volvo. It has enough horsepower that you don't notice the CVT. The Legacy is lower and a bit ligher so it should perform better than my Outback. To get something more engaging to drive, you're going to need to go a lot older and a lot more miles.

I don't know how much you care about fuel economy. The 3.6R burns regular gas. The performance sedans invariably burn premium fuel. I've never paid attention to premium fuel prices in Canada but it adds up in the US since the price spread at the pump is so significant. The 3.6R isn't a super-efficient engine. I get about 25 mpg in an Outback on the highway. A Legacy is lower and a bit lighter so maybe 26 mpg/27 mpg. I imagine 11 1/2 km/l is about the best you're going to see on long trips and lower around town.

I'm totally happy with nothing in my driveway but an Outback but I miss zipping around in a GTI. My girlfriend has a Volvo S80. That's more European luxury sedan and so heavy that it's not particularly engaging.

It's just Quebec and Ontario that require snow tires? I'd think you could muscle your way out of most snow-covered parking lots with a FWD car with Nokians. My GTIs could get through a foot of heavy unplowed flat parking lot.

And snow tires help a lot with "getting you going". You have much better traction. I optimize for black ice because I'm coastal with humidity and a lot of near-freezing roads and sleet/freezing rain. In Alberta, you could run more of a traditional snow tire than the studless friction tires I run that perform better on black ice. That would give you more deep snow grip than I have. My tires have tons of siping cuts to channel away the water layer rather than deep aggressive tread.

I hate to suggest it but you could also throw chains in the trunk for those 2 to 4 days where you need to get out of the parking lot. Crawling under to install chains is almost as bad as shoveling but it's an option. I'm sure you have a Canadian Tire within a couple miles of you that sells chains.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:30 AM

552 posts, read 329,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have a 3.6R Outback. A 2015 or newer Legacy is CVT. The OP said "exciting". A Legacy isn't "exciting". It's an AWD 6-cylinder Camry.
Well no argument there, but people were throwing out Accords and the OP has a 4 cyl Fusion, which arenít exactly performance cars.

My wife has a 2018 Outback 3.6R. Not exciting, but great interior and amazing in snow!

Old 02-09-2019, 09:57 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,438,057 times
Cadillac CTS has AWD, is very good driver's car and is one of, if not the the best handling car in its class.
U.S. News actually decribes the handling as "thrilling". Sounds like the sort of thing you're looking for.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

That one's pretty nice and it's a CPO, which means it got full warranty for two more years.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:59 AM

12,539 posts, read 6,519,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Well no argument there, but people were throwing out Accords and the OP has a 4 cyl Fusion, which arenít exactly performance cars.

My wife has a 2018 Outback 3.6R. Not exciting, but great interior and amazing in snow!

Here's my 3.6R. With Nokians, it's a good winter car. With the stock tires, not so much.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:15 AM

592 posts, read 249,885 times
Jeep Wrangler is the most fun as you can take the roof and doors off and even fold the windshield down

Old 02-09-2019, 06:24 PM

113 posts, read 141,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
Jeep Wrangler is the most fun as you can take the roof and doors off and even fold the windshield down
I like jeep wrangler as well because one can open the whole car. It is like driving a motorcyle but with four wheels. Unfortunately, my place is cold about 8-9 months of the year to keep it open.

does anyone know how reliable they are?

Also, does one know or has one ever changed the driver seats of their cars? I might buy an infiniti g37x and change the driver seats.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:44 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,438,057 times
[quote=player07;54389981]I like jeep wrangler as well because one can open the whole car.[quote]

A coworker had on and it was a pain in the ass.
He ended up either leaving everything on or took everything off and left it in the garage most of the time.
When everything was off, he never drove it unless he knew he wasn't going to stop anywhere.

Finally, he wised up and bought a Camaro convertible. Push a button, top goes down.

Quote:
Also, does one know or has one ever changed the driver seats of their cars? I might buy an infiniti g37x and change the driver seats.
If I knew the seats sucked, it would be an absolute deal breaker for that car.
Changing the seats mean losing the power and/or memory seat.

And change the seats to what? Something that might suck even more?

Just buy something that has seats that you like. There are a lot of driver's cars out there.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:12 PM

3,741 posts, read 3,019,688 times
Quote:
I like jeep wrangler as well because one can open the whole car. It is like driving a motorcyle but with four wheels. Unfortunately, my place is cold about 8-9 months of the year to keep it open.

does anyone know how reliable they are?

Sure. Forbes had a good perspective on that, Feb 25, 2016, "Jeep: Why Its Poor Quality Ratings Don't Seem To Matter". Miserable crap, that people love to buy, pretty obviously. Much like Harley-Davidson: same theory, and great in one narrow venue: offroad, in this case.

"G37X": there are entire forums dedicated to G35/7 series, one with several hundred thousand threads and a million+ posts. Browsed it a bit out of curiosity, there sure are a lot of fan of that series, if that's what you're into. If I couldn't put a supercharger on one, I'd probably get a V8-something though I've become a fan of boost since TRD installed a supercharger on my Tacoma's 4.0L V6. It thinks it's a small block V8 now.

Consensus on seats, couple threads: A: Drop it off at the local speed shop," replace the stock seats with Recaros, please!" you're done, that will be $3K or so, including labor. Was that the question? I had the good auto upholstery guys redo my Tacoma seats in leather, fronts plus benches in the rear, for $2K since that was ultimately smarter money than replacing, turned out. They could have made any desired mods to the bolsters, seat cushions, etc. though mine was spectacular to begin with, so why mess with success. Might want to explore that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or