Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 08:20 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times

Advertisements

A WRX sounds right up the OPs alley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 12:40 PM

382 posts, read 867,504 times
I recommend a Ford Edge with the 3.5 V6. Same engine as a lot of the police cars now minus the tuning. They drive like a go-cart, turn on a dime, and are just plain fun in my opinion. You can get your AWD and ease of maintenance in an affordable package.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:06 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Do the G37's have different seat options? The difference between my vehicles base and top seat is massive. I'd never own mine if it had the base seat.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:05 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,247,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by player07 View Post
There are areas where i drive in the middle of the winter where the roads are not ploughed but i see SUV's and trucks going there without a problem but my car wouldn't make it or if it does on an occasion make it then it does with great difficulty. It isn't a huge deal as they happen rarely and I just avoid going there after a snowstorm but an AWD is nice to have and will inspire confidence. I don't really have snow tires but as far as i know they help in cornering and braking but not to get you going.
You're definitely wrong about snow tires -- they will get you moving when regular tires just spin. And they will help you with cornering, but if you lock up the brakes then your braking distance may be just as far as with all-season tires.

I have a FWD Golf fitted with Blizzaks. I don't hesitate to go where the snow is only 4 or 5 inches, but would not care to tackle more than 6"-deep snow, as I don't have the ground clearance.

Hundreds of cars in and around the Twin Cities have spun out, gone into ditches, or collided with other cars in the last several days. I would wager that most of those vehicles had only all-season tires. Tire shops sell most of their snow tires in November and December, but I wonder if they're seeing another snow-tire sales surge this week.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:57 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,266,126 times
Tesla Model 3

Old 02-12-2019, 12:44 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Tesla Model 3
OP is wanting to spend $20k or less. Not even close to Model 3 numbers.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:51 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
If looking at Volvo, I'd look at an S60 Polestar, but they are a rare breed, and would run 1.5-2x the preferred budget. Alternatively, you could find a T6 S60 AWD that would handle the snow and be a bit more engaging to drive. A 2013-2014 with low miles and the 6-cylinder, as the newer T6 designation has a different engine, would offer a significant performance boost over the Fusion. The AWD system is good as it's a Haldex system and offers excellent traction.

With BMW and Audi, the performance versions tend to vary a bit in feel, and the base engines can be slow. A BMW 3-Series or 5-Series X-Drive would not be a bad option, though you may not want the maintenance required on an older BMW AWD to stay under $20k. Some Audi models are not too bad in terms of reliability, but that would be the mid-range of the A6 series, as the 8-cylinders have some issues and the 4-cylinders are a bit slow. The Quattro AWD system is a very good system.

An engaging crossover or SUV is difficult, since in a smaller crossover, I find the Macan to be very good. The Audi Q5 and BMW X3 are two that I would consider. With Mercedes, the GLK is a solid smaller crossover, but it's more solid than exhilarating in terms of performance. That's how I'd characterize a Mercedes E350 4Matic as well, stable and adequate performance/reliability/economy, but a blend of comfort and performance. AMG models are different, but also much more expensive to purchase and maintain.

The Subaru WRX may not be a bad option, though, for performance. However, reliability is not a strong suit, and I would actually trust an Audi more than a Subaru, especially if the WRX has been driven hard as an A6 might tend to have an older buyer who is not playing racer. I also think that there are trade-offs with the WRX in terms of the older Subaru interiors and cabins that tended not to be top-of-the-range when new, even on a premium model. Volvo interiors are much better for close to the same price as a higher trim Subaru. The STI insurance costs are also high for the class.

The good news that coming from a Fusion, many cars are going to be more engaging to drive, so you can find some from which to choose.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive