U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 06:03 PM

38,231 posts, read 39,519,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Oh.

Windows XP
Windows 7
Windows Vista
Windows 10

All were "virtually impenetrable".

No claim like that has ever been made by a software maker, everything is vulnerable. However OS's operate on open networks and have all kinds incoming and outgoing data a lot of which is coming from sources out of control by Windows, e.g. websites. That would not be the case here. That's not to say a closed network is 100% safe either but it's very difficult to jump the "air gap".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually in the middle of nowhere is where you get the best GPS fix.

I guess you could fix it to the tree, just hope no one cuts it down.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:45 PM

11,606 posts, read 4,249,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I guess you could fix it to the tree, just hope no one cuts it down.
In the boonies you don't need it. Accuracy from the newer chip sets has hit 30cm. And that will likely be halved in another couple of years...

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/...phones-in-2018

Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
In the boonies you don't need it. Accuracy from the newer chip sets has hit 30cm. And that will likely be halved in another couple of years...

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/...phones-in-2018

I'm not doubting the tech will evolve to the point it will simply work, I'm just pointing out the issues. That said any vehicle that would require GPS to navigate under any circumstance is not something that should considered. In the event war were to break out with a nation with advanced rockets which is an ever increasing number those satellites would be the first to go. They need to be able to operate fully autonomous in all kinds of conditions.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:16 PM

1,971 posts, read 720,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
When the first one hits something/someone, watch the scumbag lawyers have a field day.
You mean, as opposed to... now?

The idea that attorneys are suddenly going to discover automobile collisions as a lucrative practice only when autonomous vehicles are involved is... interesting.

Quote:
I'm not doubting the tech will evolve to the point it will simply work, I'm just pointing out the issues. That said any vehicle that would require GPS to navigate under any circumstance is not something that should considered. In the event war were to break out with a nation with advanced rockets which is an ever increasing number those satellites would be the first to go. They need to be able to operate fully autonomous in all kinds of conditions.
Uh... by your 'logic', the possibility of EMP disabling every virtually every vehicle that's been on the roads for decades means we should all embrace nothing more advanced that a vacuum tube. And, yeah, EMP is about as likely as a conflict involving all GPS satellites being shot down.

Is that the most serious argument you can imagine?

"Yeah, but if we get involved in a global war that has spiraled so horrifically out of control that our entire GPS satellite array is shot down, we'' be late for work!"

Seriously...

Old 02-10-2019, 07:18 PM

11,606 posts, read 4,249,282 times
Quote:
That is simply a requirement that the device can be manually operated under some conditions.

There really is no other solution.

In fact though in a nasty EMP the only way to operate anything is to push them.

But reach out...a Nova sun takes us all out in what? Half an hour?

Old 02-10-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post

Is that the most serious argument you can imagine?

Being able to disable 300 million vehicles by disabling some satellites is not a serious argument? It's a bit more of an issue than being late for work especially where freight is concerned.

Quote:
That is simply a requirement that the device can be manually operated under some conditions.
I'm sure the tech can advance without the need for GPS.

Quote:
In fact though in a nasty EMP the only way to operate anything is to push them.
I'll hook one these up to it.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:45 AM

7,432 posts, read 2,833,653 times
Self driving cars are like a religion to some people. It's so strange. What is the big hurry? Why the almost maniacal desire to rapidly force this technology on people who don't want it or who prefer to see us take out time with it?

Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 AM

12,591 posts, read 6,563,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Self driving cars are like a religion to some people. It's so strange. What is the big hurry? Why the almost maniacal desire to rapidly force this technology on people who don't want it or who prefer to see us take out time with it?
Itís the only viable solution to urban traffic jams. If all the cars are autonomous and you take the stooopid humans out of the equation, you can move double the amount of traffic down the same roads without any stop & go. Humans need that carlength per 10 mph for separation. Computers donít. Computers donít text and drive or all the other distracted driver things.

If Iím doing a soul crushing commute and commute time can be cut in half but autonomous cars, Iím voting for the guy who wants nothing but autonomous cars on those roads at rush hour.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:58 AM

12,591 posts, read 6,563,866 times
Quote:
Being able to disable 300 million vehicles by disabling some satellites is not a serious argument? It's a bit more of an issue than being late for work especially where freight is concerned.
The whole air traffic control system was about to collapse 3 weeks ago over some wall that wouldnít change anything. We are 100% reliant on technology. Why is GPS NAV any different from any other technology?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or