U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,058 posts, read 40,482,417 times
Reputation: 42142

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
We had a google team come into one of our gas stations about a year ago, they were mapping for the transition to self drive, the way they explained it, the technology was going to be like a very accurate and updated GPS, the mapping equipment on their cars was recording everything about the roads they were driving on, even grade, slope, every square of inch of every road is to be mapped.


They said the transition would be a HUGE deal, and car companies will team up with tech and computer companies, (kind of like 'new for 2023...the Chevy/Google Silverado')
Will they know to come back to remap when the pothole in the lane develops next winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM
 
13,908 posts, read 12,679,478 times
Reputation: 18822
Sometimes I have no idea where I really want to go, so how can I request an AV to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Midwest
3,987 posts, read 6,911,253 times
Reputation: 6554
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
But that's not what Mary told us ! Zero crashes, Zero emissions, Zero congestion. And they are restructuring the company to bank on EV and Autonomous...to the tune of 14k employees.
Mary and the entire BoD and upper management are not only delusional, but incredibly cruel in the way they've "let people go." Cruel cruel and humiliating. Shocking.

They're doing the PC thing. Mary is already wealthy beyond her wildest dreams. She's banking on selling massive quantities of electric cars in China. That's like selling snowballs to Eskimos. China already has overproduction capacity for electric cars, they've gotten what they need from GM they don't need them any more.

Mary and the rest will be safely retired and possibly even safer six feet under, by the time the extent of the disaster they've visited upon a once-great corporation is realized.

I wouldn't be surprised to see GM bankrupt--in a real sense this time--within 10 years. Or broken up and sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
When cars, trucks, and semi trucks are inches or even a few feet away on a highway going 75 MPH or more, what can go wrong?
Just about anything you can imagine. Can. And will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
We had a google team come into one of our gas stations about a year ago, they were mapping for the transition to self drive, the way they explained it, the technology was going to be like a very accurate and updated GPS, the mapping equipment on their cars was recording everything about the roads they were driving on, even grade, slope, every square of inch of every road is to be mapped.


They said the transition would be a HUGE deal, and car companies will team up with tech and computer companies, (kind of like 'new for 2023...the Chevy/Google Silverado')
Dreams dreams dreams. About a month ago my Garmin, just at a critical turn-off point in an unfamiliar area, went bizarro and the screen shifted to some nonsense for about 15 seconds.
I missed my turn, but no worries, the scenic route is just fine.

Driving is the most complex activity most of us engage in. Hundreds of visual inputs, hundreds of decisions are made unimaginably quickly, subconsciously.

When visibility is limited, when conditions change rapidly, this is nothing but a tort attorney's fondest dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've said it before...More like autopilot on a large pleasure boat. If I had that, I could drop the boat in at the ramp, program a GPS coordinate 7 miles away in the ocean, and the boat would navigate the intercoastal waterway through a couple channels out past the jetty into the ocean and take me to my spot.

However, I couldn't take it from a dock on a skinny creek channel in a no-wake zone with the tide ripping out through Oregon Inlet on a windy day. The wind and shifting bottom would make it nearly impossible.

Similarly, I foresee being able to plug in a destination on Monday morning and have it take me there...If everything goes correctly.
A boat in relatively uncrowded waterways vs. a vehicle in complex, crowded traffic are like playing with children's blocks vs. playing a game of chess. Playing chess well, where the contestants look out six, eight, 10 moves ahead with all possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
 
1,416 posts, read 398,274 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Sometimes I have no idea where I really want to go, so how can I request an AV to do this?
That sounds like a personal issue that you need to dive deep on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
5,301 posts, read 1,765,546 times
Reputation: 8017
No need to waste space quoting, but yes - the idea that all the faults of GPS etc. will be fixed so that AVs can rely on it to a matter of a few feet, if not inches, is almost funny. No human driver can put on ILS blinkers and drive a car based on zero local input - on remote/recorded data only. The vague handwaving that super-GPS will solve the problems of unmarked, nonstandard and obscured roads is... at best, twenty years premature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
 
1,416 posts, read 398,274 times
Reputation: 1822
I seriously think that AVs will not be commonplace until some infrastructure is in place on the roads to guide them.
Since the roads are changing so often, construction, and shoddy maintenance by municipalities and states, theres no way AVs will work accident free without under road guides.
In many auto assembly plants they have AVs that deliver parts to the line, but theres guides in the concrete floor. They dont even have to be deep, just there.

Then they have to figure out where the cars will automatically pull off out of traffic when the gps takes them off a guided road, so the driver can wake up and take over.

Cant wait to see the line of cars sitting in the "dead zone", passed out while the car waits for them to manually drive the rest of the route.

What about the guides...when cars and tractor trailers wreck and gouge out the road, will the AV be able to navigate the breaks, or will the dropouts make it freak out?

I have other ideas but Im just looking too far ahead, and watching too many movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM
 
13,908 posts, read 12,679,478 times
Reputation: 18822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
That sounds like a personal issue that you need to dive deep on
How is that a personal issue? Never just went for a cruise? never said "I want to get out of the house" and sort of meander to where ever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM
 
12,495 posts, read 6,494,401 times
Reputation: 23055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I seriously think that AVs will not be commonplace until some infrastructure is in place on the roads to guide them.

You mean like differential GPS? That's accurate to 10 cm. It's not new technology. I had an interview as a college senior with Texas Instruments Equipment Division to work on it back in 1980. It was a free trip to Dallas to visit a few friends so why not?


There is an enormous amount of money being dumped into this technology since it's so disruptive. I figure it will be everywhere in a decade. The more interesting question is what insurance pricing will look like 20 or 30 years from now for people who insist on driving themselves. At some point, insurance companies will refuse to take the on the risk of someone self-driving in rush hour traffic.


There's no magic to any of this. Within a few years, computers will drive far better than any human can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM
 
1,416 posts, read 398,274 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You mean like differential GPS? That's accurate to 10 cm. It's not new technology. I had an interview as a college senior with Texas Instruments Equipment Division to work on it back in 1980. It was a free trip to Dallas to visit a few friends so why not?


There is an enormous amount of money being dumped into this technology since it's so disruptive. I figure it will be everywhere in a decade. The more interesting question is what insurance pricing will look like 20 or 30 years from now for people who insist on driving themselves. At some point, insurance companies will refuse to take the on the risk of someone self-driving in rush hour traffic.


There's no magic to any of this. Within a few years, computers will drive far better than any human can.
Not differential GPS, actual metal rails somewhere buried in the road, kind of like guide by wire. (In addition to regular GPS.

The insurance is a very interesting point.
In 20-30 years, if they have perfected AV, will they just make cars that only drive themselves and no manual controls for those that dont want to bother learning how to drive? Would there be a need for more AV taxis because people wouldnt need to own cars, just summon one on the phone? That would make the insurance go up pretty high for manual drivers, and the cars. Hmmmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
 
1,416 posts, read 398,274 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
How is that a personal issue? Never just went for a cruise? never said "I want to get out of the house" and sort of meander to where ever?
No, if I want to get out of the house I usually have a general destination. But sometimes I would wander from there. If I dont want to be home I'd want to be someplace else, not driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top