U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

675 posts, read 411,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Sometimes I have no idea where I really want to go, so how can I request an AV to do this?

It'd work something like this (Apple Carplay version):

You: Hey Siri, I want to cruise

Siri: I can do that, freeway, canyon or main street?

You: Canyon

Siri: Regular mode or Sport mode?

You: Sport

Siri: Sunroof open?

You: What's the temperature?

Siri: I don't understand

You: Fine open

Siri: Open what? I don't understand.

You: Sunroof open

Siri: I can do that

You: Then let's go

Siri: Sure, where do you want to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

5,301 posts, read 1,772,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What makes you think you can't program a car to drive in the snow better than a human can?
In a "Closed Track. Professional Driver. Do not try this on real roads with other traffic and private property boundaries." ...why, nothing.

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

1,422 posts, read 399,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Why would you ever bury metal rails in the road when GPS gives your precise location? You supplement that with image recognition on all the cameras and radar so you know your location to the centimeter. With the next generation of wireless, the cars all talk to each other in a mesh network so you don't have moron humans doing unanticipated things.

Because right now GPS doesnt give precise locations at least not within 300 feet, and every system needs a backup for safety. Also GPS doesnt work for lane markers, at least not yet. The cars would need to know where to change lanes (As well as talking to other cars). And I dont mean rails like train rails, just skinny metal guides just below the surface for the computers to follow, in the middle of each lane. They wouldnt even need current.
Roads change, lanes change with construction, and somehow that info has to get to the mapping software so that the cars dont drive into barriers and construction vehicles. If they had metal rails in the roads that are safe to drive on, the system wont take cars into areas that arent setup. Last thing people need is GPS taking them down a dirt road that they could get stuck on.

Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

4,719 posts, read 2,960,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
5 reasons why autonomous cars aren't coming anytime soon
https://www.clickondetroit.com/autom...-anytime-soon_
Well, when I heard they had trouble distinguishing the road in snow, that told me it's going to be after I die this will happen...

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

2,538 posts, read 2,229,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Count me in that group. Too many aspects of our lifestyle are completely dependent on having a certain type of vehicle parked out in the driveway and available for us to use anytime we want, to take us anywhere we want to go, stay as long as we like, and come back whenever we choose. I'm not giving that up. Giving that up would mean giving up way too many aspects of our lives that are neither dispensable nor negotiable to us.

Sorry, all you naive, futuristic utopians out there with your heads in the clouds. This one isn't happening.
Not sure why you think autonomous cars would make this completely go away. If you want to own a car, you still could.

You could just have the option of answering emails or reading a book in the car on your commute now.

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

220 posts, read 36,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Because right now GPS doesnt give precise locations at least not within 300 feet.

None of the ones currently in cars do, but we do have centimeter precise GPS already.

https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

Quote:
How accurate is GPS?

It depends. GPS satellites broadcast their signals in space with a certain accuracy, but what you receive depends on additional factors, including satellite geometry, signal blockage, atmospheric conditions, and receiver design features/quality.

For example, GPS-enabled smartphones are typically accurate to within a 4.9 m (16 ft.) radius under open sky (view source at ION.org). However, their accuracy worsens near buildings, bridges, and trees.

High-end users boost GPS accuracy with dual-frequency receivers and/or augmentation systems. These can enable real-time positioning within a few centimeters, and long-term measurements at the millimeter level.
Most of the GPS systems in autonomous car prototypes and in testing are of the centimeter precise variety, so are very good at figuring out where the roads are, even under snow, as Ford has been testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vShi-xx6ze8

Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM
bos

3 posts, read 129 times
There's is in NY area ?
Whoever interested in a funny story - igodl.com/car-sharing

Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM

3,153 posts, read 1,431,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, when I heard they had trouble distinguishing the road in snow, that told me it's going to be after I die this will happen...
Yeah... I'm not worried about it.
Every car I own or will ever own has either already been built or will be soon.

Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

12,498 posts, read 6,503,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post

We'll all be sad when we hear that report of your premature death.

Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM

8,004 posts, read 2,541,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
5 reasons why autonomous cars aren't coming anytime soon
https://www.clickondetroit.com/autom...-anytime-soon_
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just confirms, again, what many have been saying. Of course, the article is going to be hooted at by the regulars here.

Judging by the derision tossed at opponents of self-driving cars, you'd think that some of the posters here owned stock in the companies. There will be money to be made off these cars by a few people, even though they'll never go into production. There's also some "flying cars" in the prototype stage, that will follow the same pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or