U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

14,051 posts, read 30,228,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
No, if I want to get out of the house I usually have a general destination. But sometimes I would wander from there. If I dont want to be home I'd want to be someplace else, not driving.
Plenty of times Iíve got out and drove just for the hell of it, with no destination in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

2,762 posts, read 2,151,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Plenty of times Iíve got out and drove just for the hell of it, with no destination in mind.

Sometime the joy is going there. Automation just sounds so, non-enjoying to me. Like going surfing, the drive down. The anticipation of see what the surf is like. Being driven there autonomously. Oh H**l NO!

Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

316 posts, read 265,333 times
What about motorcycles, RV's. Buses. School buses. Tow trucks. Is everything going AV?

Hmmmm I'm pretty sure insurance companies make money because of accidents not despite them. Will the passenger have to be insured? Or just the owner of the vehicle?

And will we see a stop to all those ads of people having a blast off-roading and driving on the beach. Whoooo hooo!

Read a funny article about how it will lead to rolling brothels.

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

8,069 posts, read 2,015,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Sometime the joy is going there. Automation just sounds so, non-enjoying to me. Like going surfing, the drive down. The anticipation of see what the surf is like. Being driven there autonomously. Oh H**l NO!
We have pretty much accepted a few other things that have gone away now, like privacy, certain freedoms, everyone laughs and jokes about it, but when you think about it, we have been conditioned to accept ALOT of negative stuff and changes today, and we simply just blow it off as 'times changing'...whats the difference with SD cars?

We may not like the lack of privacy in the world today, but for the most part, majority of people accept that its in the best interest of safety for everyone, and they tolerate it...its a GOOD thing we know so much about everyone today, its a GOOD thing all these checks and monitoring is going on, etc etc

I bet the people who have lost friends or family to drunk drivers, or malfunctioning vehicles, would tolerate SD cars if they made things much safer! In fact when the transition to motor cars replaced the horse and buggy, if they had known how many millions of people would eventually die because of motor cars, would they still have accepted the transition? I really doubt it.

Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM

1,423 posts, read 400,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
But how can being driven autonomously not be better? You get to focus more on the environment on the drove to surfing, as opposed to half of your focus going to driving.

Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM

13,917 posts, read 12,690,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
We have pretty much accepted a few other things that have gone away now, like privacy, certain freedoms, everyone laughs and jokes about it, but when you think about it, we have been conditioned to accept ALOT of negative stuff and changes today, and we simply just blow it off as 'times changing'...whats the difference with SD cars?

We may not like the lack of privacy in the world today, but for the most part, majority of people accept that its in the best interest of safety for everyone, and they tolerate it...its a GOOD thing we know so much about everyone today, its a GOOD thing all these checks and monitoring is going on, etc etc

I bet the people who have lost friends or family to drunk drivers, or malfunctioning vehicles, would tolerate SD cars if they made things much safer! In fact when the transition to motor cars replaced the horse and buggy, if they had known how many millions of people would eventually die because of motor cars, would they still have accepted the transition? I really doubt it.
Or how many billions have been saved due to cars???

Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,242,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If the car has radar and GPS, it's going to drive better in the snow than a human can. It knows exactly where it is on the road and it knows exactly where all the other cars and obstructions are. It can monitor the coefficient of friction on the road collecting data from other cars around it far better than a human. It's not like you have to invent new technology to solve the problem.
But the article says it can't even master a clear day with steady traction, let alone Minnesota snow. It's going to be a long while coming. I will be long dead before I see autonomous master all types of various weather. Too bad. I want to see it conquer Canada where winter reigns most of the year in the majority of provinces.

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

11,569 posts, read 4,216,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
But the article says it can't even master a clear day with steady traction, let alone Minnesota snow. It's going to be a long while coming. I will be long dead before I see autonomous master all types of various weather. Too bad. I want to see it conquer Canada where winter reigns most of the year in the majority of provinces.
That is not true. Look at the CA accident data. It is about 10 to 1 that the human drivers cause the accidents.

Snow and heavy rains are a variable being worked heavily but in sequence with getting a sound basic system. They do add complexity but will almost certainly end up with a better outcome than a human driver.
Simply much better data. These things see much better than a human and have much more data about the operational parameters of the vehicle.

The Uber fatality was an unthinkable incident that indicates incompetence upon the part of the developer. Uber simply screwed up. I know of no way to prevent that sort of blatant error other than good and consistent development practices.

The issues will be in the developing of response to the murky stuff...a four way stop where one car does not follow the protocol. Or a left turn when the light is favorable but a vehicle is approaching at a dangerous speed and position.

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

33,073 posts, read 40,506,989 times
AVs will be controlled primarily by computers, yes?

How often does Microsoft have to push out patches and updates?

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

11,569 posts, read 4,216,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
AVs will be controlled primarily by computers, yes?

How often does Microsoft have to push out patches and updates?
My 10 year old Avalon is run by a computer that has had one update.

Simply a different level and kind of software. Can be virtually impenetrable if the developer so decides.

The entertainment and navigation systems may well be quite accessible...but not the vehicle operating stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or