Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 04:29 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times

Advertisements

5 reasons why autonomous cars aren't coming anytime soon
https://www.clickondetroit.com/autom...-anytime-soon_
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 05:47 AM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Just confirms, again, what many have been saying. Of course, the article is going to be hooted at by the regulars here.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I wont be? i saw one last weekend.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:45 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
When the first one hits something/someone, watch the scumbag lawyers have a field day.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Had the internet been around at the time, Im sure the same kinds of arguments would have been debated when society transitioned from horse and buggy to the motorized car, Im sure there were plenty of people that thought motorized cars were just too dangerous, as well as people who fully supported the transition.

Oddly enough though, considering how many 100s of 1000s of lives motorized cars have taken or harmed in some way, majority of people still consider them to be beneficial, no one calling to go back to horse and buggy either!

Old 02-07-2019, 08:37 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Had the internet been around at the time, Im sure the same kinds of arguments would have been debated when society transitioned from horse and buggy to the motorized car, Im sure there were plenty of people that thought motorized cars were just too dangerous, as well as people who fully supported the transition.

Oddly enough though, considering how many 100s of 1000s of lives motorized cars have taken or harmed in some way, majority of people still consider them to be beneficial, no one calling to go back to horse and buggy either!
Poor analogy. In both the horse and car there was a person in control as the ultimate authority.

HAL, open the outer doors.
Why Dave?
Because I told you to.
Sorry Dave I will not.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:32 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
But that's not what Mary told us ! Zero crashes, Zero emissions, Zero congestion. And they are restructuring the company to bank on EV and Autonomous...to the tune of 14k employees.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:34 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
When cars, trucks, and semi trucks are inches or even a few feet away on a highway going 75 MPH or more, what can go wrong?

Old 02-07-2019, 10:41 AM

21,865 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I wont be? i saw one last weekend.
I saw so many of them in the last week I didn't even count. The only reason it stands out is there were five of them in close succession, as in in about 10 seconds.

That doesn't mean you're going to be able to go down to a dealership and buy one next year which is a separate thing. They're still working on the making it work part and then after that they need to be made affordable. But not going to see them any time soon? Uh, no. I've been seeing them for several years now pretty regularly.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:54 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
None of this is much new; I've been saying several of these things for quite a while. (Mostly that AV operation on "Disneyland" streets is one thing; operation on more rural roads without lines, curb lines or markers, and with irregular curves and intersections, etc. pose problems that have choked the vehicles in city conditions.)

But there's another issue that's only been touched on - I just saw a related piece about it and it made me think.

Repairing AVs is going to be completely beyond 95% of existing service options, even limiting that to dealerships and factory-trained shops, much less driveway repairs. Yes, yes, I know, every slight technical advance in automotive design has sparked the same comment, but this time really is different. I've been working on cars since the most sophisticated thing in them was an AM radio, and things like FI, engine computers, airbags, ABS and the endlessly multiplying controllers have each been said to put the amateur/general mechanic out of business. To make it short, every one of those systems is just an extension of older tech, and thus completely within the grasp of any experienced mechanic if he or she chooses... and repair on most of those systems consists of testing and replacing some black boxes.

But AVs use a sensor array, supercomputer and control linkages that are so state of the art in their own fields that those experts still can't get them right. Repair of an AV will involve tools, techniques and knowledge that are in no way just one more ASE badge away.

And, frankly, do you want YOUR neighbor "fixing" his AV's wonky forward sensors before his morning commute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive