U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,381,444 times

Advertisements

What ind of paint is good on car front grille?
Enamel, acrylic, engine paint, automotive paint... ?
I want to paint a chrome grill insert to semi gloss black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

5,131 posts, read 9,338,408 times
PlastiDip

Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,757,170 times
So now you're going to take a chrome grill and paint the mesh black, instead of the other way around? Might work better.

Black is an easy color to get in many formulations but not much will stick well to the chromed surface, not in the high-exposure location of a front grille.

You might look at removing the chrome from the mesh. Might take a few days of picking with a sharp awl and exacto knife, but it would be permanent and as durable as the chrome surround. If the finish isn't perfect, it's easier to get a good, durable paint job on the plastic than on the chrome.

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
So now you're going to take a chrome grill and paint the mesh black, instead of the other way around? Might work better.

Black is an easy color to get in many formulations but not much will stick well to the chromed surface, not in the high-exposure location of a front grille.

You might look at removing the chrome from the mesh. Might take a few days of picking with a sharp awl and exacto knife, but it would be permanent and as durable as the chrome surround. If the finish isn't perfect, it's easier to get a good, durable paint job on the plastic than on the chrome.
It is a stainless steel billet grille that is chrome surface. So the mesh thing is not an issue.
Im planning to sand it and prime it before painting it.
What I want to know is whether engine paint is needed? The grille sits next to the radiator, that might be very hot on a long drive on a hot day, and non-engine paint might deteriorate in the heat. Or maybe it does not get too hot, I dont know. But engine paint is being used inside, so it might deteriorate in UV/sun light.
So the engine paint may not like sun light, the non-engine paint may not like the heat.
Also some car paints are "enamel" type, that is I assume some kind of plastic.
Plastidip is some kind of plastic also? The internet says it is some kind of peel-able rubber. I need a metallic look and hard surface that that withstands the road dust.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM

56,113 posts, read 39,519,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
It is a stainless steel billet grille that is chrome surface. So the mesh thing is not an issue.
Im planning to sand it and prime it before painting it.
What I want to know is whether engine paint is needed? The grille sits next to the radiator, that might be very hot on a long drive on a hot day, and non-engine paint might deteriorate in the heat. Or maybe it does not get too hot, I dont know. But engine paint is being used inside, so it might deteriorate in UV/sun light.
So the engine paint may not like sun light, the non-engine paint may not like the heat.
Also some car paints are "enamel" type, that is I assume some kind of plastic.
Plastidip is some kind of plastic also? The internet says it is some kind of peel-able rubber. I need a metallic look and hard surface that that withstands the road dust.

Since it's metal, I'd go to a motorcycle shop and get a can of PJ-1 semi-gloss black, paint the part, let it dry, and if it fits in the oven, bake it at about 300F. I've painted motorcycle parts and didn't mask some thin ridges as they were difficult to mask and thought they'd be easy to sand the paint off. Damn near wore the skin off my fingers sanding and the parts held up very well.

Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM

You didn't say this one was metal.

I'd take it to a powder-coating shop.

Old Today, 02:39 PM

It is stainless steel with chrome.
Do I have to use engine paint or normal automotive paint on the grille?

Old Today, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
It is stainless steel with chrome.
Do I have to use engine paint or normal automotive paint on the grille?
Primer plus automotive enamel. It will not get nearly hot enough to need engine paint.

Old Today, 03:08 PM

4,206 posts, read 1,806,898 times
"bar stock", please. "Billet" is the raw material for the rolling mill; bar stock is what comes out of it. What your supplier is using to machine this part is bar stock.

Old Today, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
"bar stock", please. "Billet" is the raw material for the rolling mill; bar stock is what comes out of it. What your supplier is using to machine this part is bar stock.
Every piece of CNC machined fanciness you can get for a car is referred to as "billet," even by the firm that might be the best at it, Kirkham Automotive. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or