U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM

1,981 posts, read 713,289 times

Advertisements

I Give Up! RE: Tire Pressure:

I'll just base mine off what is affixed(somewhere) on the car.

Long Story Short:

This week I had brake work done by a local mechanic, NAPA affiliate. Afterwards, I asked the owner what he thought of the tire pressure/load decals on vehicles. His reply? "A joke". He says better to set a couple PSI below the Max Cold stamped on the tires.

He is not alone: Other indies and even many dealer techs said the same thing to me over the last few years.

If I wanted to bounce my way down the street or highway I'd save $20-30,000 and just purchase a BASKETBALL - used, from Goodwill.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM

360 posts, read 360,288 times
Some people like to have better handling, others like to pretend they're driving a boat down the road. What's your point?

Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Some people like to have better handling, others like to pretend they're driving a boat down the road. What's your point?
My point is that the concept of following instructions has gone out the window, even among supposedly certified or otherwise qualified mechanics.

What's your definition of "better handling"?

Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM

1,795 posts, read 648,172 times
"What's your definition of "better handling"?"

race cars start races with below normal tire pressure since the pressure will build to the desired level after several laps.
consider your average driving time, and the ambient air temperature. personally, our tires are inflated to the maximum
cold temperature rating since we do not drive very far for very long.

Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"What's your definition of "better handling"?"

race cars start races with below normal tire pressure since the pressure will build to the desired level after several laps.
consider your average driving time, and the ambient air temperature. personally, our tires are inflated to the maximum
cold temperature rating since we do not drive very far for very long.
I'm talking average Joe/Jane here, 99-Percenters, folks driving to work, soccer, church, the Cape for the weekends, not circuit.

Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM

4,192 posts, read 1,806,898 times
Set 'em to what the door sticker and the owner's manual say.

Do you really think that some guy at the local garage has sufficient access to the design documents of the suspension system of the car in question, plus test data from operating the vehicle over a range of tire pressures, plus durability test data on the tires themselves, to make any statement about tire pressure with more authority than the manufacturers of the vehicle and the tires?

Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

5,274 posts, read 1,757,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Do you really think that some guy at the local garage has sufficient access to the design documents of the suspension system of the car in question, plus test data from operating the vehicle over a range of tire pressures, plus durability test data on the tires themselves, to make any statement about tire pressure with more authority than the manufacturers of the vehicle and the tires?
Do you really think auto makers choose a setting that will satisfy all drivers, from those who want a edge in traction and handling to those who don't want their 'roids jounced? The factory setting is a compromise that in all but high-performance models is set more for ride comfort than many drivers would like.

There is no reason not to experiment with tire pressures, within the hard pressure limits and with some reasonable judgement. But if the OP doesn't want 2% better handling and 1% better mileage at the cost of a much firmer ride, it's his call. The shop guy is an idiot on that point.

Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM

16,322 posts, read 28,026,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Good points. Also, if the pressure is set too low and then the ambient temperature drops, there is a good chance for the TPMS computer to energize the low tire pressure light.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...190208030059:s

Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Do you really think auto makers choose a setting that will satisfy all drivers, from those who want a edge in traction and handling to those who don't want their 'roids jounced? The factory setting is a compromise that in all but high-performance models is set more for ride comfort than many drivers would like.

There is no reason not to experiment with tire pressures, within the hard pressure limits and with some reasonable judgement. But if the OP doesn't want 2% better handling and 1% better mileage at the cost of a much firmer ride, it's his call. The shop guy is an idiot on that point.
"better handling"

I'm still waiting for turkeydance's - and your - definition of it.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM

5,274 posts, read 1,757,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
"better handling"

I'm still waiting for turkeydance's - and your - definition of it.
It's more complicated than a few pounds up or down, but I've improved many of my cars' ride and basic handling by differential pressures front and rear. There's an entire school that works from tire maximum load rating at maximum cold pressure down to the actual pressure needed for each axle's load. It's subtle for most cars, but I have one in the garage that runs 21psi front and 15psi rear. (Special case.)

There is nothing utterly sacred or fixed about OEM tire pressures except on very high performance vehicles running the highest tier of tires for which the suspension has been tuned - mostly Vettes, MB/AMG and Porsche where the tire was developed for that model in a joint program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or