U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 08:34 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,574,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
After driving cars for a long time, and currently owning classic ones, I find that IMO over the years that American (GM,Ford,Dodge/Chrysler) products bodies including older BMW’s and Benzes have a much more sturdy feel.

Do many of you find this to be the case, or no?

What are the reasons behind this? Most old Mercedes feel very solid and bank vault like, but the new ones don’t.
There is no answer.

Other then all manufacturers are making cars lighter to save weight and to increase fuel economy ratings.
Every department in the design of vehicles has directives to cut weight.

Many seats don't use springs anymore. Just foam.

Much engineering goes into how the car drives. That is why some cars now have driving "modes".

The days of the bench seat or wide split bench seats are gone as is the column shift. Lots of electronics as well as cup holders are placed into the oversized center console. Seats have become smaller and harder but "better" - as the saleman/woman will tell you.

You're just going to have to drive as many vehicles as you can to find one that "fits" your style.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 09:13 AM

592 posts, read 550,977 times
Varies quite a bit IMO. I had a 2000 BMW 540i (E39) that was one of the best built cars I have driven. Solid as a rock and handled like a dream.

I have had a few Lexus vehicles. Early LS400 was very solid. 2015 RX350, not as solid as I expected. A friend just bought a 2015 Toyota Avalon and it surprised me how well made and solid it is. IMO, it was built better and more solid the the 2015 RX350.

Another friend of mine has had several Mercedes Benz models, all very impressively well built and solid.

I think you have to judge every model and year to see what you think. Nothing seems to stay the same, even year to year of the same model. You get mid model updates and who knows what they have changed to "improve" things.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:18 AM

2,041 posts, read 647,167 times
Nothing is more solid than an old school Mercedes.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:22 AM

37,731 posts, read 55,391,166 times
Most likely the Germans.
German cars for the US market are different than the same models in Germany (perhaps except the top luxury line) - buyers in the US want the "name" but don't want to pay the price. German cars are built UP to a standard, and American cars are built DOWN to a price. With the less quality goes the less reliability. You get what you pay for...
When you drive a similar model in Germany, it looks/feels and drives differently, because it's higher quality. Sure, maintenance cost more (and they are very particular about their maintenance and inspections), but generally people drive their cars much longer and their cars are in excellent shape even after many years of use. They are simply very solid cars.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:27 AM

3,566 posts, read 5,707,191 times
I own Toyota trucks and an old TJ but of all the recent vehicles I have personally been in I would say mid range and higher Ford's always feel like structurally well built vehicles. Nice solid feel to them from what I've experienced.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:45 AM

721 posts, read 539,058 times
I think this probably varies on the model and year of the car. Growing up I drove older honda's. Graduated to a 2011 golf TDI and that car felt more solid and safe than anything I've ever driven. Generally I've felt german cars feel the most solid (heavier) than other cars in the american markets.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:58 AM

2,205 posts, read 966,586 times
Germans in many cases. But for a high price. Try a Mercedes S-class, G-wagen, a Bentley, or a Rolls. Solid as a bank vault, and as heavy as one.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:02 PM

2,185 posts, read 914,655 times
My 2015 Honda Pilot feels very solid going down the road. That being said, when I close the doors on it they sound a bit “tinny” if you know what I mean. Not solid with that heavy “thunk” that you like to hear.

My little VW EOS on the other hand, feels like a solid little tank. The doors are very heavy for a car this size.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:21 PM

2,656 posts, read 1,591,188 times
German. It's not even a question for someone who knows their stuff about cars. There's a reason why Mercedes is known for building rolling bank vaults. Porsche makes the most reliable sports cars on the planet. You get what you pay for. Downmarket vehicles are made with plastic and thin sheet metal wherever it can be used to save a buck, but the Germans bucked the trend the longest of any manufacturers, and they still make their high end vehicles separately than their lower classed ones. That's not the case with an American manufacturer or even Asian ones, just look at Lexus rebadging Toyota models with some higher end options, or Cadillac rebadging Chevy stuff with a higher trim level. That doesn't happen with a lot of German models, there is no downmarket S class you can buy, the C class is a completely different car.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:29 PM

2,205 posts, read 966,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
German. It's not even a question for someone who knows their stuff about cars. There's a reason why Mercedes is known for building rolling bank vaults. Porsche makes the most reliable sports cars on the planet. You get what you pay for. Downmarket vehicles are made with plastic and thin sheet metal wherever it can be used to save a buck, but the Germans bucked the trend the longest of any manufacturers, and they still make their high end vehicles separately than their lower classed ones. That's not the case with an American manufacturer or even Asian ones, just look at Lexus rebadging Toyota models with some higher end options, or Cadillac rebadging Chevy stuff with a higher trim level. That doesn't happen with a lot of German models, there is no downmarket S class you can buy, the C class is a completely different car.
Now if MB and BMW they would get the reliability up. The resulting depreciation curve is astounding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or