U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 03:44 PM

3,741 posts, read 3,017,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
After driving cars for a long time, and currently owning classic ones, I find that IMO over the years that American (GM,Ford,Dodge/Chrysler) products bodies including older BMWís and Benzes have a much more sturdy feel and solidarity to their vehicles vs say a Toyota or Honda product.

Do many of you find this to be the case, or no? I just feel like the doors, trunks and hoods feel more solid on a Ford or GM product than a Toyota. Why is this? In Japan their roads are perfect and smooth as glass with no potholes to speak of so the importance of road noise and vibrations from bad asphalt doesnít matter to them very much because I remember most older Hondaís have a ton of road noise and ride like crap with overly stiff suspension dynamics while a Toyo Camry is slightly quieter, but doesnít feel all that solid and sturdy compared to say a Ford Fusion and a Chevy Malibu.

What are the reasons behind this? Most old Mercedes feel very solid and bank vault like, but the new ones donít.
Subjectively, here's what I've noticed, 35 years of driving and owning maybe ten cars, 14x or so motorocycles. Also from driving in others' vehicles. My observation and opinion:

- I had cause to look up prices on '70s-80s Mercedes 380, 450, and 500SL coupes. I note they cost more used than vastly newer models of-same. Maybe I should have bought that 450SL back in '95, before I ended up with a nice BMW 325i convertible: we'll never know. The doors shut with a "snick" sound. Everything was obviously heavy-duty and elegant, tight tolerances They were tank-like, for better or worse, and didn't break too often. The heyday of Mercedes? Most solid cars I've ever personally driven.

- BMWs seem to wax and wane. I don't trust them. I've owned two, total of I do believe 9 years, 1995 to 2004. Fun cars when they work, but my E39 540 was nowhere near the quality of my older '89 325i convertible. Something happened in the 1990s, end-of, to these companies I suspect.

- I've owned three Toyotas, the '82 was real "solid" and very GT-like. Nothing like it existed from the US. My '04 was solid, as is my '07, as in: no squeaks or rattles, everything heavy-duty, no problems with either. Latter at 118K miles and you'd never know it.

- My '01, then '15 Porsche 911s have been exceptionally well-built. Fine leather, fittings, etc. inside. They are (almost) supercars, more like: high-end sports cars. Solid like you wouldn't believe, especially the '15.

- I like my buddy's Cadillac Escalades, two of different years. Gorgeous big SUVs, for American big people in my view. Thought about buying one couple years ago, but couldn't justify it despite the luxury. If solid means, ready to plow through just about anything in the way, then yes definitely.

I don't find older Chryslers and Dodges that solid. New cars that I've rented have all been pretty solid, including especially the Camaro V6 rented last summer for a week. Aren't all new cars solid, isn't the question "do older cars start to squeak and rattle, which ages the best?:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 05:06 PM

184 posts, read 30,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post

Amazing job on Omega, Cadillac. The CT6-V with the Blackwing TTV8 and SuperCruise is gonna be some car.
I know itís going to be amazing.... I have a CT6-V reserved on pre-order and will order the Platinum V8 as well when itís released.

The XT6 should have been based on this instead of being a rebadged Arcadia....

Old 02-09-2019, 05:14 PM

184 posts, read 30,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

- I had cause to look up prices on '70s-80s Mercedes 380, 450, and 500SL coupes. I note they cost more used than vastly newer models of-same. Maybe I should have bought that 450SL back in '95, before I ended up with a nice BMW 325i convertible: we'll never know. The doors shut with a "snick" sound. Everything was obviously heavy-duty and elegant, tight tolerances They were tank-like, for better or worse, and didn't break too often. The heyday of Mercedes? Most solid cars I've ever personally driven.

:

Within a decade R107 SL class cars are all going to be $100k + collection cars. I have several and still drive them regularly. I have a 1988 560SL model I bought new and a 1978 450SL that belonged to my grandmother.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:18 PM

1,919 posts, read 3,562,890 times
Blondebaerde, very good observation in regards to all the different make and models you have owned.

Some years certain brands makes and models had it over other competitors. I believe it does depend on what model it is as well. For instance my 17 Impala is one well built machine. Very solid and all the doors close with a nice “Thunk” sound. At now 60,000 miles the body still feels extremely solid and tight with no squeaks and rattles. Nothing has broken or falling off on the interior, everything still works perfectly. I am going to need new shocks and struts soon as the car is getting slightly more wallowy.

Before I purchased the car I sat in numerous of other midsize vehicles to get a overall feel of them, opening and closing the doors, interior trim quality from different brands, and for the price that I bought my Impala for used, a Camry or an Accord would have cost a few grand more for the same year, and the ones with a V6(Camry) costing at least $6,000 more than my mid level trim Impala V6. You get a lot for your money with the Impala for sure.

I noticed even in those cars, the doors and trunk lid felt thinner and less solid than the Impala. Even the Malibu had slightly heavier feeling doors, but the interior of the Malibu is overly cheap feeling and the car did not ride nearly as nice. I was close to buying a Ford Fusion which is a better car than the Malibu and I drove both, but I just like the looks, quality, feel, ride smoothness and spaciousness of the Impala than other brands I test drove. It’s almost as if another company built the Impala, not GM because it’s that good. The Epsilon II platform which the Impala, XTS, and the Buick LaCrosse ride on was developed in Germany, so maybe that’s why it’s so good.

I really like the Chrysler 300’s and that car feels very sturdy. I love the cushy seats in them as well. But I can’t stand the cheap feeling, and old looking interior especially the dash and upper half of the door panels. The arm rest are nice and padded and those 300’s ride like an old RWD Cadillac or Lincoln, smooth as butter.

Now I know why almost every other car on the road in San Diego is either a BMWs, Audi, or a Benz..there is a quality difference, but most importantly, it’s the advanced tech as being the latest and greatest. As we all know CA is a very progressive state and people like having the latest gadgets and vehicles to drive.

I just laugh because when the warranty runs out, and things start to break on them, that’s when the real agony sets in.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:24 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,438,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
I know it’s going to be amazing.... I have a CT6-V reserved on pre-order and will order the Platinum V8 as well when it’s released.

The XT6 should have been based on this instead of being a rebadged Arcadia....
Congratulations... you are going to love it.
I don't have a problem with the XT6. I think it looks quite nice, and will sell briskly.
But they could've called it the XT5-L, because that's really what it is.

I don't think they're done moving upscale with CUVs, because that's where the $$$ are.
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if there's an Omega CUV... the are 3 XT's available above XT6.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:41 PM
BMI

6,885 posts, read 4,090,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Older American cars have a floating boat feeling as you drive. Hondas have a solid feel as you drive.
I currently own a Honda and I agree ...solid.

I owned two Camryís ...1996 and a 2007...both very good, especally the 1996,
as solid as a Lexus from that era.

I also owned a Jaguar XJ6....like a tank solid. Literally a very heavy car, at almost 5000 lbs.

American cars ...Iíve owned a few, not as solid.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:20 PM

148 posts, read 148,605 times
Oh a mid 80's 500SL. tons of torque, great ride and handle, can't go wrong.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:12 PM

1,848 posts, read 664,938 times
ok...what if that solid-sounding THUNK
is faked just like the engine sound?
https://theoutline.com/post/6158/you...=1&zi=cxmk3h6t

Old 02-09-2019, 08:37 PM

1,204 posts, read 323,257 times
I only buy Fords and BMWs, am very happy with the way both drive.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:33 PM

27,572 posts, read 38,938,459 times
Our 2003 Maxima is like driving a tank it's so solid. Soon to be traded in, though. 16 years and less than 70k miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or