U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

3,496 posts, read 951,254 times

Advertisements

A GM Aviiator I’ve never herd of it you mean a Lincoln Aviator. And a Lincoln Explorer? people have their models mixed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

2,664 posts, read 2,387,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
A GM Aviiator I’ve never herd of it you mean a Lincoln Aviator. And a Lincoln Explorer? people have their models mixed up.
This, arguably, illustrates how too similar and cookie-cutter identical American models tend to be (i.e. - Ford/Lincoln and Chevrolet/GMC/Cadillac).

Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM

1,919 posts, read 3,562,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Thanks, OP. I try and keep the BS'ing to a minimum, indicating "my opinion" where applicable. Cars I've owned have been...my opinion and observation, a small data set and thus anecdotal for the most part.

Nice to know a '17 Impala has the mojo. I'm neutral on GM, up a bit on Ford due solely to the Mustang GT350 and GT350R, very wary of Chrysler. Never say never, though, as my father used to say.

Ah: I agree, Toyotas are and were expensive for what you get. They play off their good name. Mostly, that's justified. Sometimes, it is not, and I know Toyota had some quality goofs past ten years. That makes me sad, if they're not building them as-before.

As for warranty running out, I know only this...again, my personal observations and those of pals, plus "anecdotal" from online media:

- I'm wary of Audis and expensive repairs after "about" 70K miles, from my buddy's four Audis 2002-current. Once is coincidence. Twice, happenstance. Third time, enemy action (Goldfinger, 1964). Well, he's at no. 4 now. He uses his vehicles hard though not abusely, as DD's and (now) as family vehicles for his five and soon-to-be-six children.

- Ditto BMW, from my own experience and a vast...VAST...trove of data from online sources. Something's not right when X5s from about 2003 simply do not exist, or in very small numbers. My buddy's X5 w/130K keeps blowing really, really expensive systems. Most of those breaks are pure BS, suspension components and door locks and other screwballs electrical parts. "$1000 for this, $500 for that, $1,500 to fix that...SIR!" ...over at the boutique repair shop, who are still way better than the dealers. Nuh uh.

- Porsche, well: when they break, it's going to cost $500 to $1,000. The 10K oil change on my '15 911 was $241 before tax, due to the heinous labor and (great) quality materials. I've never had one high mileage, though I've met guys who run Turbos into the ground at crazy high miles. That's called, "labor of love."

- Benz, I've never owned. Never say never, as-mentioned, however. They really, really make me nervous. Half the crowd says "great," the other: "abysmal." I'd love to know the truth there.

If '17 Impala feels better than most or all the above, I got nothin' further to add.
Yup!!!

I think loyal consumers need to open their minds a bit and give other brands a try. The competition between makes have really narrowed big time. It wasn’t like this even as little as 5-7 years ago.

You have great American vehicles and great import ones, but also crappy made American and crappy made imports. The perception and bias thinking of many consumers skews towards foreign makes being far superior to American brands, when for instance the Jeep and Ram brands have been stellar made products in last several years. The default brand for non car people wanting a reliable car has been Toyota, these people seem to refuse to cross shop brands, because they assume Toyota products are all better than anything else.

I personally cannot stand cheap cars, flimsy little toy cars even compacts annoy the heck out of me. After taking Uber/Lyft here and there, most of the drivers own Toyota’s especially Priuses, Nissans, Honda Civics, Kias and Hyundai’s.

Sure some of the cars look nice from the exterior but once you start feeling and touching things, you quickly realize there’s nothing all that great about them. Door panels sound hollow when you tap on them, doors close with a hollow sound, and then the ride quality sucks bad going over uneven, rough pavement. You can hear some of plastics creaking and making noise in certain cars too.

Most of vehicles I’ve ridden Uber in have been foreign makes, so I know Japanese and Koreans build cheap crappy stuff too. Nothing refined or great about a buzzy rough riding Corrolla, nor a Sentra an Altima, an Elantra and definitely the go cart ride Prius is the absolute worst!!

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

184 posts, read 30,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
That’s the point that was being made .... ironically

Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM

17,185 posts, read 18,580,981 times
My wife’s Infiniti and my old Sorento feel a lot more sturdy than my domestics ever did. And we’re talking 2004/05 model year.

Old Today, 04:40 AM

16,797 posts, read 8,697,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
After driving cars for a long time, and currently owning classic ones, I find that IMO over the years that American (GM,Ford,Dodge/Chrysler) products bodies including older BMW’s and Benzes have a much more sturdy feel and solidarity to their vehicles vs say a Toyota or Honda product.

Do many of you find this to be the case, or no? I just feel like the doors, trunks and hoods feel more solid on a Ford or GM product than a Toyota. Why is this? In Japan their roads are perfect and smooth as glass with no potholes to speak of so the importance of road noise and vibrations from bad asphalt doesn’t matter to them very much because I remember most older Honda’s have a ton of road noise and ride like crap with overly stiff suspension dynamics while a Toyo Camry is slightly quieter, but doesn’t feel all that solid and sturdy compared to say a Ford Fusion and a Chevy Malibu.

What are the reasons behind this? Most old Mercedes feel very solid and bank vault like, but the new ones don’t.
I think both American and German cars feel sturdy and they are typically heavier than Japanese cars. Japanese cars are built for lightness to improve mileage, handling, etc. but they don't feel as sturdy or heavy IMO.

I've owned numerous American, German, and Japanese cars over the years...currently in the stable is a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Charger Hellcat and BMW 228I...I'm very happy with all 3.

Old Today, 01:35 PM

2,664 posts, read 2,387,563 times
Of course, this is mostly subjective but having owned American, Japanese, and German vehicles, I have to say I think they are all about even regarding the solid feeling of closing their doors, hoods, trunk-lids, and hatchbacks.

However, if we are talking road-handling and general driving dynamics, then I would rate them in order:

1) German
2) Japanese
3) American

In my opinion, German vehicles feel the most connected to the road and the most responsive followed closely by Japanese vehicles and American vehicles feel the most floaty and disconnected, especially during spirited driving "in the bends" or regular driving on wet/snowy/icy roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or