Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:37 PM

24,469 posts, read 26,003,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
I know it’s going to be amazing.... I have a CT6-V reserved on pre-order and will order the Platinum V8 as well when it’s released.

The XT6 should have been based on this instead of being a rebadged Arcadia....
Do you mean the GMC Acadia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 08:45 PM

603 posts, read 442,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Do you mean the GMC Acadia?
Yeah .... it’s an embarrassment compared to the Lincoln Aviator...

Old 02-10-2019, 10:24 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Yeah .... it’s an embarrassment compared to the Lincoln Aviator...
As you would say, the Ford Aviator

Old 02-11-2019, 01:58 AM

603 posts, read 442,904 times
Or the Lincoln Explorer...

Old 02-11-2019, 06:53 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
In my experience, German autos feel most solid and planted (although I would never own one) while American cars feel unrefined. Japanese economy vehicles feel tinny while Japanese luxury vehicles are the best in my opinion.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:00 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
As you would say, the Ford Aviator
We'll see how much of an embarrassment it is when the sales stats come out.
GM made an Aviator-like SRX... and it sold a fraction of what the FWD SRX did.
I owned an '07 SRX. Nice car, didn't sell.

All of the best selling CUVs have the same drive configuration as the XT6.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:51 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Blondebaerde, very good observation in regards to all the different make and models you have owned.

(snip)

Now I know why almost every other car on the road in San Diego is either a BMWs, Audi, or a Benz..there is a quality difference, but most importantly, it’s the advanced tech as being the latest and greatest. As we all know CA is a very progressive state and people like having the latest gadgets and vehicles to drive.

I just laugh because when the warranty runs out, and things start to break on them, that’s when the real agony sets in.
Thanks, OP. I try and keep the BS'ing to a minimum, indicating "my opinion" where applicable. Cars I've owned have been...my opinion and observation, a small data set and thus anecdotal for the most part.

Nice to know a '17 Impala has the mojo. I'm neutral on GM, up a bit on Ford due solely to the Mustang GT350 and GT350R, very wary of Chrysler. Never say never, though, as my father used to say.

Ah: I agree, Toyotas are and were expensive for what you get. They play off their good name. Mostly, that's justified. Sometimes, it is not, and I know Toyota had some quality goofs past ten years. That makes me sad, if they're not building them as-before.

As for warranty running out, I know only this...again, my personal observations and those of pals, plus "anecdotal" from online media:

- I'm wary of Audis and expensive repairs after "about" 70K miles, from my buddy's four Audis 2002-current. Once is coincidence. Twice, happenstance. Third time, enemy action (Goldfinger, 1964). Well, he's at no. 4 now. He uses his vehicles hard though not abusely, as DD's and (now) as family vehicles for his five and soon-to-be-six children.

- Ditto BMW, from my own experience and a vast...VAST...trove of data from online sources. Something's not right when X5s from about 2003 simply do not exist, or in very small numbers. My buddy's X5 w/130K keeps blowing really, really expensive systems. Most of those breaks are pure BS, suspension components and door locks and other screwballs electrical parts. "$1000 for this, $500 for that, $1,500 to fix that...SIR!" ...over at the boutique repair shop, who are still way better than the dealers. Nuh uh.

- Porsche, well: when they break, it's going to cost $500 to $1,000. The 10K oil change on my '15 911 was $241 before tax, due to the heinous labor and (great) quality materials. I've never had one high mileage, though I've met guys who run Turbos into the ground at crazy high miles. That's called, "labor of love."

- Benz, I've never owned. Never say never, as-mentioned, however. They really, really make me nervous. Half the crowd says "great," the other: "abysmal." I'd love to know the truth there.

If '17 Impala feels better than most or all the above, I got nothin' further to add.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:05 PM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I think the car manufacturers are trying to do more with less. They are increasing the HP and fuel mileage and to help do this they are shedding the overall weight of the vehicle which makes it lighter and less sturdy feeling.

Over the weekend a family member was visiting in a rental SUV a new GMC Terrain SLT and what a tin can. He wasn't impressed and neither was I. The last time he was over he had a Ford Explorer and that wasn't much better.

My wife has a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it is so much better than the GM or Ford equivalents and when you consider you are looking at about $40,000 for either one I would not be happy with the amount of road noise. The Jeep is the winner.

Years ago my sister in law bought a new Mini countryman S with the turbo or was it a supercharger? either way that also was a tin can with no get up and go.

My Mom has a old Pontiac Torrent and that is also a tin can.

I think I will keep my truck and custom car.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:53 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
I can tell you who doesn't, Nissan.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:04 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I can tell you who doesn't, Nissan.
Newer Nissans are cheaply made vehicles, at least in my experience driving them and taking Uber. The 90’s Altimas and Maximas were really nice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive