U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:52 PM

3,578 posts, read 1,494,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Hmm,

I switched to synthetic recently, and developed a small leak in the corner orange rubber gasket; top of intake manifold. These were all replaced 3 years ago.
I've already been back to said mechanic, who will re-do the job at no cost.
But that gasket should not have failed, so am now pondering switching back to conventional.
I've talked to several mechanics in fact, and nobody can seem to figure out why a motor w/only 70K would keep leaking from the exact same gasket.
Three years huh?

If the repair held for three years, I'd tell you to pound sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 10:15 PM

970 posts, read 481,620 times
Don't switch from conventional to synthetic at this point. Keep it conventional.

Synthetics are good to use from the beginning. Especially if you using something like 0w20

Old 02-11-2019, 09:45 AM

30 posts, read 13,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamJoe View Post
I have a 2007 Toyota Sequoia sr5 with about 150k miles. Iíve always used conventional oil but have been told synthetic oil would be better.
Due to the mileage I would rather stick with conventional oil, synthetic oil can causes leaks I learned a hard lesson when I switched to synthetic on my 2002 Tundra with about 175k miles that now I have leaks by the valve cover.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:28 AM

1,039 posts, read 511,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Three years huh?

If the repair held for three years, I'd tell you to pound sand.

Was only driven 5,000 miles.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 PM

Guess you should've driven it more. Most shops will only do a 2 year warrantly.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:19 AM

1,039 posts, read 511,457 times
Quote:
Most shops will only do a 2 year warrantly.

As they should, particularly when the motor design is notorious for this particular problem.
My mechanic has been good to me, changed out the timing cover seal for $100. But he knows I've been sending him other customers.

I switched back to conventional yesterday, we'll see.
If it still leaks, which it only does in colder temps; he'll re-do the entire intake manifold set for $250.
I insisted on supplying the $80 set, since it's normally a $550 job anywhere else; excluding dealerships of course.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:55 PM

There's a weird psychological dynamic going on with synthetic oil IMO. It's about our very human need to take control.

Vehicles are getting more complex all the time. And vast swaths of our population have little or no mechanical/electronic skills at all. Even a lot of DIY types can't do much beyond an oil change or some pretty basic repairs. They live in fear of expansive repair bills, and there's frankly not that much they can (or maybe 'will') do to prevent that.
But one thing they CAN easily control is oil.

And since it's easy to control... that's what people latch onto. They ascribe near magical properties synthetic oil (the fad these days) or oil additives like Slick-50, Marvel-Mystery oil, STP etc. (fads from past decades). Some people pay triple price for boutique oils like Amsoil... and even mix their own blends . They'll engage is crazy rituals about when and how oil must be changed (engine has to be hot, change every 3000 miles, let the oil drip til the last drop has come out, click your heels three times and say a little prayer to Odin, etc). Because these are things that they *can* control. Where they have far less control over, say... a loose timing chain or broken piston ring.

Now this is not to say that there's no merit to synthetic oil or frequent oil changes. I'm just saying that the benefits are limited. Sure there are particular circumstances where 3000-mile oil changes would be beneficial (short trips in cold weather with an old carburetor engine for instance). And there are particular applications and circumstances where expensive, high-quality synthetic oil will be beneficial (engines that specify synthetic, hot or heavily loaded conditions).

But for 90% of the vehicles out there that don't spec synthetic oil, the above practices will provide little if any measurable benefit compared with conventional oil changed at 6000 miles. Even if there is a benefit, people trade the car off long before it could be realized. But high-dollar super-sneaky-synthetic-snake-oil makes people feeeeeel like they're doing something worthwhile

Old 02-12-2019, 10:48 PM

6,512 posts, read 3,572,944 times
Quote:
There's a weird psychological dynamic going on with synthetic oil IMO. It's about our very human need to take control.

Vehicles are getting more complex all the time. And vast swaths of our population have little or no mechanical/electronic skills at all. Even a lot of DIY types can't do much beyond an oil change or some pretty basic repairs. They live in fear of expansive repair bills, and there's frankly not that much they can (or maybe 'will') do to prevent that.
But one thing they CAN easily control is oil.

And since it's easy to control... that's what people latch onto. They ascribe near magical properties synthetic oil (the fad these days) or oil additives like Slick-50, Marvel-Mystery oil, STP etc. (fads from past decades). Some people pay triple price for boutique oils like Amsoil... and even mix their own blends . They'll engage is crazy rituals about when and how oil must be changed (engine has to be hot, change every 3000 miles, let the oil drip til the last drop has come out, click your heels three times and say a little prayer to Odin, etc). Because these are things that they *can* control. Where they have far less control over, say... a loose timing chain or broken piston ring.

Now this is not to say that there's no merit to synthetic oil or frequent oil changes. I'm just saying that the benefits are limited. Sure there are particular circumstances where 3000-mile oil changes would be beneficial (short trips in cold weather with an old carburetor engine for instance). And there are particular applications and circumstances where expensive, high-quality synthetic oil will be beneficial (engines that specify synthetic, hot or heavily loaded conditions).

But for 90% of the vehicles out there that don't spec synthetic oil, the above practices will provide little if any measurable benefit compared with conventional oil changed at 6000 miles. Even if there is a benefit, people trade the car off long before it could be realized. But high-dollar super-sneaky-synthetic-snake-oil makes people feeeeeel like they're doing something worthwhile

Have you ever seen an oil flow test at subzero temperatures? I'll take Mobil 1 over dino any day. I've been using the stuff for 30 years and have never had an engine problem. I also let the oil drain completely so as to have as little to contaminate the new oil as possible. That's just common sense, not a "control" issue.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:17 AM

Yeah, it's a big difference. A difference that matters in a place like Alaska. Like I said, synthetic oil is great in certain applications.

But it most of the lower 48 where you rarely see temps below -10F... this is a non-issue. Except for people with 'control issues'.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:37 AM

14,075 posts, read 30,256,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamphihung View Post
Due to the mileage I would rather stick with conventional oil, synthetic oil can causes leaks I learned a hard lesson when I switched to synthetic on my 2002 Tundra with about 175k miles that now I have leaks by the valve cover.
Probably more due to old gaskets rather than synthetic oil. I also have a 2002 Tundra with over 200k miles, and I use full synthetic high mileage oil with zero leaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive