U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM

1,039 posts, read 511,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Yeah, it's a big difference. A difference that matters in a place like Alaska. Like I said, synthetic oil is great in certain applications.

But it most of the lower 48 where you rarely see temps below -10F... this is a non-issue. Except for people with 'control issues'.

I can only add, my leak has ceased 2 days after switching back to conventional.
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM

16,339 posts, read 28,064,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Yeah, it's a big difference. A difference that matters in a place like Alaska. Like I said, synthetic oil is great in certain applications.

But it most of the lower 48 where you rarely see temps below -10F... this is a non-issue. Except for people with 'control issues'.
I have never had any issues with conventional oils in Alaska. I am using synthetic oils now, not because conventional oils aren't good, but because synthetic oil by the gallon at Walmart is quite cheap. Also, since I have an oil pan heater on my trucks and cars, oil flow is not an issue during a cold start.

Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM

16,339 posts, read 28,064,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
don1945 said it best.
new car= synthetic until seeping starts (150K?).
i would Up the Weight with conventional after that.
we have a 1987 Camry on 20-50.

turkey-head is right, too.
use synthetic for those long-term fluids.
might not EVER have to do anything after that.
Several years ago when synthetic oils was available to the public, there may have been some issues relating to seepage thorough the gaskets. But that problem has long been corrected.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-in-older-cars
Quote:
Is Synthetic Oil Safe in Vehicles?

In the past, warnings were given about switching to synthetic oil because it could harm the engine. The reason for this was that many synthetic oils contained esters, which are organic compounds mixed with alcohol. This combination was often hard on seals in the engine, and would cause them to wear down and start to leak.
After running on conventional oil for several years I switched to synthetic oil on my 2001 Silverado (350 Vortex motor). I did so at the 184,000 miles, and it is still leak free today at 205,000 miles. The motor makes a little noise on cold starts, but after 5-7 seconds it turns quite. Does not leak burns a drop of oil, no antifreeze leaks of any kind, and runs very smooth on the road. I love this old truck.

Old Today, 02:26 AM

7 posts, read 374 times
Synthetic oil is better because it is cleaner that conventional oil. It has fewer impurities and functions well in cold and extreme weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive