Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 07:31 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,227 times

Advertisements

All of the plastic panels on my old Saturn Vue are still rust free and holding up well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 07:45 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
I'll see if I can take some pictures. We have a pretty much unending saltwater bath from late November to April, with very few days where the roads dry out - usually that only happens if it's subzero for an extended period. I've lived in both Michigan and Vermont, and the salt you get in Detroit is not at the same quantities and frequencies as here.

Anyway although there's occasionally visible rust, it's most often what you can't see, things like brake lines, exhaust, CV axles, all of the bolt heads under the car. It's not rare for a 10 year old car or SUV to be permanently taken off the road here after an inspection.
The manufacture rust through warranty only applies to body panels, I’m susprised about your exhaust because Exhaust piping is usually made of steel, but can be aluminized steel tubing, or stainless steel, which lasts longer due to its corrosion resistance.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:58 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
All of the plastic panels on my old Saturn Vue are still rust free and holding up well!
The Saturns with plastic panels have a steel frame. Steel on all door and steel underneath. All of that steel will rust. All should view their vehicles on a lift. Next time in shop for oil change ask to view the underneath of vehicle.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:16 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
SUVs spray salted road water all over their undersides just as much, if not more, than sedans, so yes, they can, and do rust just as easily as sedans in those areas where road salt is common.

Here's a tall Blazer with rust, from a typical rust prone state:

And it's not because it's old. I've seen Suburbans from the 2000s that have rusty rockers and lower quarter panels.
If you used an SUV that was at most 5 years old for the picture it would have made your point better than a Blazer made in the early 80s. Everything from the early 80s rusted.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:06 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
If that’s the case why were these vehicles as you described get fixed under the 10 year manufacture rust through warranty. I think you don’t know think you know your model years.
That warranty if absolutely useless. Just try to make a claim.

I travel to Cleveland regularly and see pickup trucks and Ford Escapes that are rusty and they are the current model. Cars, tucks, and SUVs rust, some a lot faster than others.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:08 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
I'll see if I can take some pictures. We have a pretty much unending saltwater bath from late November to April, with very few days where the roads dry out - usually that only happens if it's subzero for an extended period. I've lived in both Michigan and Vermont, and the salt you get in Detroit is not at the same quantities and frequencies as here.

Anyway although there's occasionally visible rust, it's most often what you can't see, things like brake lines, exhaust, CV axles, all of the bolt heads under the car. It's not rare for a 10 year old car or SUV to be permanently taken off the road here after an inspection.
I've posted a ton of pictures showing vehicles 5-10 years old with gaping holes. Some on here still refute, especially people from Michigan who seem to work for the Big 3. Not worth the trouble posting pictures.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:30 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
If you used an SUV that was at most 5 years old for the picture it would have made your point better than a Blazer made in the early 80s. Everything from the early 80s rusted.
All vehicles from 2019 will rust. It is just a matter of time and location. Southern Arizona cars don't rust but the paint sure fades if left outside.

There is no secret steel formula nor is there some secret paint formula.
The carbon content in rolled steel can vary from each manufacturer. Some of the Russian and Chinese steel not refined as well as other sources. And will rust faster.

Paint processes have improved over the decades. Oil based paints have become water based paints. Paints have improved some over the decades. But no paint is chip proof.

So we still have oxygen, water, salt, all attaching to steel. A formula for rust. 20 years ago or today.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:09 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I've posted a ton of pictures showing vehicles 5-10 years old with gaping holes. Some on here still refute, especially people from Michigan who seem to work for the Big 3. Not worth the trouble posting pictures.
They refute because they know you are full of it because many work for the big 3 and know better than someone who has no clue on how vehicles are made.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:32 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,323,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post

The point wasn't about the year it was made, it was about the height off the ground vs a sedan, which is what the OP was theorizing. That Blazer is farther along than a newer one would be, but the point is the same: a tall SUV will still rust out like a sedan when exposed to salted roads.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:35 PM

1,002 posts, read 917,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
They refute because they know you are full of it because many work for the big 3 and know better than someone who has no clue on how vehicles are made.
So how do those vehicles get holes then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive