Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
We’re i live the wind chill was -40 for a couple days not even car washes were open.
We get that cold here, too.
So what if car washes aren’t open with windchill of -40? I don’t wash vehicles in such conditions.

I answered your question with a common sense rule. You threw in an irrelevant factoid that ignores the answer.

You just argue for the sake of arguing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Sadly we have months where it doesn't get that warm even once.
I grew up in New England and often visited VT. Hard to believe it NEVER gets to 40 degrees in winter there. But yes, there may be only a few of them.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:02 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Most of the coin spray washes around me have viable pressure levels available. Maybe you just need to check around a bit.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:09 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
We get that cold here, too.
So what if car washes aren’t open with windchill of -40? I don’t wash vehicles in such conditions.

I answered your question with a common sense rule. You threw in an irrelevant factoid that ignores the answer.

You just argue for the sake of arguing.
You just keep on washing your vehicle by hand in any weather I’ll pay to get my vehicle washed at a car wash and stay warm in the car at the same time see ya. And if you can’t figure out how to wash the salt off your vehicle in the winter i feel sorry for ya.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:11 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
I grew up in New England and often visited VT. Hard to believe it NEVER gets to 40 degrees in winter there. But yes, there may be only a few of them.
You don't need 40 degrees.

A nice sunny, bright day in Feb in the mid 20's still has a strong enough sun to warm things up and melt snow. I used to wait for days like this to wash my car back when I would hand wash them. Sun this time of year is getting higher in the sky and much stronger.

Now I don't care. I through my daily driver through the automatic car wash and leave my nice toy car in the garage from Nov to April.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
You just keep on washing your vehicle by hand in any weather I’ll pay to get my vehicle washed at a car wash and stay warm in the car at the same time see ya. And if you can’t figure out how to wash the salt off your vehicle in the winter i feel sorry for ya.
That is not what I wrote. Typical tactic from you, twisting my words into something else.

I hand wash it in warm seasons and use a self-service car wash in winter on milder days. I don’t use the automated car washes, ever. They do an inferior job. Go ahead and keep your inferior automatic wash just to sit and avoid the cold weather, your choice—not mine. I guess cold winters are too tough on you.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:19 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:

Sure it does. "January thaw" happens pretty much every year. The rain washed all the salt off my car at Killington on Thursday.

The problem in Vermont is that when it warms up and the car washes are running, there are salty puddles from the snow melt everywhere. You're going to have salt on your car again by the time you get it back home.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Sure it does. "January thaw" happens pretty much every year. The rain washed all the salt off my car at Killington on Thursday.

The problem in Vermont is that when it warms up and the car washes are running, there are salty puddles from the snow melt everywhere. You're going to have salt on your car again by the time you get it back home.
EckyX claimed VT never gets to 40 degrees in winter.

I agree about the salty messes. Salty AND muddy messes are even worse if the mud is the clayey kind. Hard to wash off, yet salt is in the mix so it has gotta go.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:27 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
That is not what I wrote. Typical tactic from you, twisting my words into something else.

I hand wash it in warm seasons and use a self-service car wash in winter on milder days. I don’t use the automated car washes, ever. They do an inferior job. Go ahead and keep your inferior automatic wash just to sit and avoid the cold weather, your choice—not mine. I guess cold winters are too tough on you.
Cold winter is nothing on me at all I’m 63 yrs old and love winter. I use to work outside towing vehicles with the old sling tow trucks were i had to lay in the snow and slush and hook up the vehicle to be towed. I’ve slept outside in a tent in -10 below weather. I’ve had to shovel snow by hand even when it was over a foot deep before snowblowers we’re even available for the average person. And we’re my car gets washed they do an excellent job, maybe were you live they are not as good. So good luck to you and keep on wash and a shine on the baby of yours.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Cold winter is nothing on me at all I’m 63 yrs old and love winter. I use to work outside towing vehicles with the old sling tow trucks were i had to lay in the snow and slush and hook up the vehicle to be towed. I’ve slept outside in a tent in -10 below weather. I’ve had to shovel snow by hand even when it was over a foot deep before snowblowers we’re even available for the average person. And we’re my car gets washed they do an excellent job, maybe were you live they are not as good. So good luck to you and keep on wash and a shine on the baby of yours.
I’m almost as old as you and still shovel by hand, and it isn’t a little suburban driveway, either. Your handshoveling ONE foot of snow is commendable. Now try 4’ of it, which I have done a few times.

Next you’re gonna say you walked 20 miles in a blizzard while carrying a winch on your back. Have at it. That exercise must make you tough enough to wash your car, alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive