Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

If the salt is still dry on your car don't touch it because it doesn't affect metal until there is moisture or water. Since it's cold by me and it's dry I don't wash it off until the roads are salt free or temps rise where moisture and salt paired will become corrosive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 01:16 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
My, my, my. There's certainly a whole lot of size comparison going on here just over washing a car! A term aptly describing this sort of behavior in tortoises comes to mind, but using the term in a forum reply might earn me an infraction.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:03 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I’m almost as old as you and still shovel by hand, and it isn’t a little suburban driveway, either. Your handshoveling ONE foot of snow is commendable. Now try 4’ of it, which I have done a few times.

Next you’re gonna say you walked 20 miles in a blizzard while carrying a winch on your back. Have at it. That exercise must make you tough enough to wash your car, alright.

I can afford a car wash so i don’t have to do it by hand.

And the key word is almost as old as me.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:14 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The term used is "lack of foreseeable future". When buying or converting such a vehicle.

Most residential outside faucets in the last 50 years are frost proof

LINK.

Depending on geographical location. So the outside hose can be used.

When my home was constructed I had both cold and hot water outside faucets put in. So can wash car in winter with warm water here.

Find a friend, neighbor, coworker, or relative that has a frost free exterior spigot/faucet and use theirs. Done.
Or, just have an interior valve added to the water line that feeds the hose bib!

Old 02-11-2019, 03:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Same here, I just take mine to a gas station that has a brushless wash where it sprays the underbody and wheels when you drive in. I drive in very slowly.
do this^^^

Must have an underbody spray. You cannot HOSE it off.

If warm enough outdoors ... a cheap lawn sprinkler under your car will work (if you move it around a bit).

Options... Move to San Diego!

Old 02-11-2019, 10:12 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I can afford a car wash so i don’t have to do it by hand.

And the key word is almost as old as me.
Not by much, and I intend to keep shoveling for many years ahead.

Nice that you can afford the auto car wash. So can I.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:16 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
do this^^^

Must have an underbody spray. You cannot HOSE it off.

If warm enough outdoors ... a cheap lawn sprinkler under your car will work (if you move it around a bit).

Options... Move to San Diego!
True that a household hose would not get at the hidden crevices, but a handheld sprayer and lots of bending and flexing (of you, not the car) works well.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
True that a household hose would not get at the hidden crevices, but a handheld sprayer and lots of bending and flexing (of you, not the car) works well.
You can also flip the car over on it's top or side and spray the bottom ...
or.. (as in our house... have a car lift / entire car sized ramp. I also have a 2 story garage (cars on both levels) with a Maint port, so could spray off from underneath.

Basically.. you need to spray a lot and in all the crevices.

When I buy a MN / WI / NY / PA car... I get it home and rip out the engine and anything ABOVE the bottom of car, then smash the carcass with my dozer or excavator and take it to the shredder. I hate working on rusted suspension / e brakes, exhaust, driveline. Better suited as scrap metal. (and it's not too good at that!)

Old 02-12-2019, 04:47 AM

1,002 posts, read 916,467 times
Quote:
EckyX claimed VT never gets to 40 degrees in winter.

I agree about the salty messes. Salty AND muddy messes are even worse if the mud is the clayey kind. Hard to wash off, yet salt is in the mix so it has gotta go.
We do get a January thaw, and I was perhaps exaggerating a bit. We got one day where it was above 40 in January where I live. We might have 2-4 weeks before and after it where there isn't a day that gets above 40 (and most weeks not even close), then we'll have 1-3 days where it just breaks 40. You can probably count on one hand how many days it typically hits 40 in a 3 month period.

Last edited by EckyX; 02-12-2019 at 05:28 AM..

Old 02-12-2019, 05:25 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Or, just have an interior valve added to the water line that feeds the hose bib!
Actually have that also. Utility sink placed in garage when built. The hot/cold faucet is threaded so can take any garden type hose. And when garage was built - added a floor drain.

Easy to do with new construction. A tad more difficult with existing homes/garages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive