Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 01:33 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,564,206 times

Advertisements

I was just reading an article about the Toledo, Ohio police using a newer laser gun which takes pictures of the speeders license plate so the cop does not have to make a traffic stop. This is a hand held unit, different from the stationary units used in some cities for several years. The picture of the license plate showing the speed reading is sent to the owner of the vehicle. I guess cops can "write" more tickets with this new laser gun. My question is - why not just cover up part of your license plate so your vehicle cannot be IDed? The cop is not going to make a traffic stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 01:42 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,696,240 times
Because obscuring your license plate, even with something as oh-gosharoonie as mud, is illegal and will result in a traffic stop by almost any LEO who isn't doing something better.

If you want to get a super high techy, there are license plate covers that (1) absorb laser frequencies, making a useful return signal much weaker and (2) use polarizing to make them difficult to photograph clearly.

(Did you think highly reflective plates were mandated a decade or so back because they're pretty? No, a big part of it was to provide a highly laser-reflective surface on every car.)

Go for it, Bandit.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:44 PM

61,392 posts, read 86,312,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I was just reading an article about the Toledo, Ohio police using a newer laser gun which takes pictures of the speeders license plate so the cop does not have to make a traffic stop. This is a hand held unit, different from the stationary units used in some cities for several years. The picture of the license plate showing the speed reading is sent to the owner of the vehicle. I guess cops can "write" more tickets with this new laser gun. My question is - why not just cover up part of your license plate so your vehicle cannot be IDed? The cop is not going to make a traffic stop.
It would be nice if you could include a link to whatever you were just reading...

Oh, wait! Found it. The "news" is 3 years old.
https://www.cleveland.com/metro/inde...new_hand-.html

BTW:
I am actually happy that they try to make their work more bullet proof against people who would get lawyer, go to court and say "I didn't do it" or "the cop is wrong, because...".

Last edited by elnina; 02-12-2019 at 01:54 PM..

Old 02-12-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It would be nice if you could include a link to whatever you were just reading...
Just search for police speed cameras in Toledo. There are dozens of articles, including some showing how several police departments were putting up illegal speed limit signs (posted speed limit lower than what the law actually allows).

Another trick police use with laser is targetting vehicles outside of school zones, but using the school speed limit as a reason for issuing a speeding ticket. For example, let's say you are approaching a school zone but not in it. Some cops will record your speed and say you were speeding even though you had not reached the lower speed limit school zone.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Because obscuring your license plate, even with something as oh-gosharoonie as mud, is illegal and will result in a traffic stop by almost any LEO who isn't doing something better.
But a speeding infraction results in no traffic stop. Gotta love it.

With the snow over the past several weeks, my license plate has been completely obscured by snow. I never got pulled over.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
But a speeding infraction results in no traffic stop. Gotta love it.

With the snow over the past several weeks, my license plate has been completely obscured by snow. I never got pulled over.

That's how is done in other countries. Cops can do more important jobs than fight with speeding idiots.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:59 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,749,196 times
Quote:
They do make traffic stops if your plate no. is covered...

Old 02-12-2019, 02:05 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,696,240 times
Quote:
Just search for police speed cameras in Toledo. There are dozens of articles, including some showing how several police departments were putting up illegal speed limit signs (posted speed limit lower than what the law actually allows).
So a posted speed is 30, but somehow going 40 because "that's what the law allows" under general circumstances is okay? Sounds like a case of driver HUA to me.

Quote:
Another trick police use with laser is targetting vehicles outside of school zones, but using the school speed limit as a reason for issuing a speeding ticket. For example, let's say you are approaching a school zone but not in it. Some cops will record your speed and say you were speeding even though you had not reached the lower speed limit school zone.
Stand around a school zone sometime and count the morons who blow through at speeds higher than the posted limit, never mind the zone limit. If you're doing 40 100 feet from the start of a controlled zone, it seems very unlikely you'll be doing 25 when you enter it.

I love posters who find all kinds of ways to justify their shooty driving habits while crying "freedom!"

Old 02-12-2019, 02:12 PM

Here is another news you might be interested:
States pursue new rules on use of license plate readers

Old 02-12-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
So a posted speed is 30, but somehow going 40 because "that's what the law allows" under general circumstances is okay? Sounds like a case of driver HUA to me.

Stand around a school zone sometime and count the morons who blow through at speeds higher than the posted limit, never mind the zone limit. If you're doing 40 100 feet from the start of a controlled zone, it seems very unlikely you'll be doing 25 when you enter it.

I love posters who find all kinds of ways to justify their shooty driving habits while crying "freedom!"
City refunds $34,000 to motorists ticketed from speed camera - WFMJ.com News weather sports for Youngstown-Warren Ohio

They issued refunds only after the police got caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive