Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 03:52 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I dunno about that. Most vehicles that don't have every single feature have blank plates and so forth, and a genuine factory switch of some kind can be adapted to control an aftermarket feature. I've done exactly that on a couple of vehicles - put rear air springs in an Odyssey and used a factory switch to control the compressor, for example.

But there are other reasons not to chop holes in the roof.
Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura LOVE to leave blanks glaring at you from behind the left side of the steering wheel. Makes OCD people want to order new with every single option!

A toggle switch may be able to be adapted to add a feature such as fog lights, but a momentary switch may require existing wiring be present to connect to the body control module, depending on the car. Features such as one-touch open on a modern sunroof might rely on such integration to work.

The alternative to that would seem to be as having an independent circuit which would require the customer to use the provided custom/aftermarket switch.

If you can adapt such a thing for a factory switch, I'm sure you have people knocking down your door to give you money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 04:02 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
If you can adapt such a thing for a factory switch, I'm sure you have people knocking down your door to give you money!
The switches are rarely very complex - simple NO - OFF - NO rockers or momentary types. All of the open/close/pop control is integrated with the sunroof. There are usually several different types for the factory features, no matter how they're labeled or intended; a little interface circuitry (often nothing more than a relay) and you can do all sorts of "complicated" things.

I've done this sort of thing for decades, and sometimes people DO give me money. Automotive electricals are not wizard-level stuff, no matter how complex and tricky something like a sunroof or power seat might seem.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:36 PM

264 posts, read 200,469 times
I worked in a car dealership as a mechanic in my youth. Old mechanic in the bay next to mine was running water out of a hose over a sunroof one day trying to find the point of leakage.....and cursing the whole time "Cut a hole in a perfectly good roof, AND THEN WONDER WHY IT LEAKS !"

Good point I thought. Never had one in a vehicle.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn_eddy View Post
I worked in a car dealership as a mechanic in my youth. Old mechanic in the bay next to mine was running water out of a hose over a sunroof one day trying to find the point of leakage.....and cursing the whole time "Cut a hole in a perfectly good roof, AND THEN WONDER WHY IT LEAKS !"

Good point I thought. Never had one in a vehicle.
Factory sunroofs - which excludes dealer-installed ones, which may not even exist any more - tend to be very reliable and leakproof.

Older ones (>20 year back), dealer- or aftermarket-installed ones, damaged ones... all bets are off. But I've never had one leak or fail on me in 20+ years.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
The switches are rarely very complex - simple NO - OFF - NO rockers or momentary types. All of the open/close/pop control is integrated with the sunroof. There are usually several different types for the factory features, no matter how they're labeled or intended; a little interface circuitry (often nothing more than a relay) and you can do all sorts of "complicated" things.

I've done this sort of thing for decades, and sometimes people DO give me money. Automotive electricals are not wizard-level stuff, no matter how complex and tricky something like a sunroof or power seat might seem.
And Bill Gates once said that he considers himself middle class.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
And Bill Gates once said that he considers himself middle class.
If you think 12V switches, fuses, motors, lamps and the like are terribly complex, I'm not going to argue.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
If you think 12V switches, fuses, motors, lamps and the like are terribly complex, I'm not going to argue.
Don't like my humor?

"I get no respect!"

Old 02-13-2019, 07:35 PM

233 posts, read 155,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Would you get one on a new truck?

Anyone have good or bad experiences to share?

Well I did get one on a new honda in 02, still got and it never leaked. factory install

IF I was considering an aftermarket. I check YELP for their customer comments/rating then decide...

k

Old 02-13-2019, 07:36 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
I put a Webasto sunroof in a Cadillac Seville SLS.
It was perfect.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Don't like my humor?

"I get no respect!"
Well, somebody got whooshed there. Need to see whose sunroof is open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive