U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

1,746 posts, read 2,314,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Im surprised that the California cops are not using this law to look for smog bypasses. Before reading the law I thought thats what this really was about, but its really just for noise.
Cause they don't need it to do so. CHP already had jurisdiction to inspect exhausts - everything from the intake filter to the exit flange of the last cat is restricted to OEM, OEM equivalent, or CARB exempt items.

This law is much, much, much more limited. All it does is change a noise violation from a fix-it ticket to a fine. That's all it does.

The 95 dBA was already law, but was a fix it ticket December 31, 2018
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

9,360 posts, read 7,439,926 times
What will they pass next? Anything and everything that somebody decides is offensive, and complains about.
Many other states will do the same thing!
It their noise control law will eliminate the use of "fart-can" mufflers (mainly on Hondas, but other makes get them as well) I will be fully in favor of it.

Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

2,365 posts, read 663,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
What will they pass next? Anything and everything that somebody decides is offensive, and complains about.
It their noise control law will eliminate the use of "fart-can" mufflers (mainly on Hondas, but other makes get them as well) I will be fully in favor of it.
Did the eardrums get damaged

Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM

16,932 posts, read 10,408,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
What's happening? Are you going to start getting a fine for a rev?

Pretty much ANY modification to a car is illegal in California, especially when it comes to emission related items, and exhaust fits into that area. Sure, a lot of cars there are modified and they generally get away with it, but if they want to be sticklers, you can get a fix it ticket or worse.

Move to Florida, we have no rules down here !

Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,323,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Pretty much ANY modification to a car is illegal in California, especially when it comes to emission related items, and exhaust fits into that area. Sure, a lot of cars there are modified and they generally get away with it, but if they want to be sticklers, you can get a fix it ticket or worse.

But then you're living in Florida...

Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM

16,932 posts, read 10,408,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
But then you're living in Florida...

Yep, that is why so many people move into this State every year. (not for the car thing, but for the beautiful weather, the water lifestyle, and the reasonably low cost of living)

Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM

17,199 posts, read 18,590,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Oh Jesus you couldn’t be more wrong.

There are PLENTY of aftermarket manufacturers who went through the process of certifying aftermarket performance parts which are perfectly legal to install on your car in California. I can get aluminum Trick Flow heads that are CARB EO and can legally install them on my truck. I can bore and stroke my 350 to a 383 and. Noboby would be the wiser. Won’t make a difference in smog test.
Headers exhausts air intakes cams etc are all widely available and lots of them carry EO numbers. As long as the oarts have the EO numbers they are no different as far as the law is concerned as a factory part.
The engine swaps are more common these days. I know plenty of people who are throwing LS motors in everything out there.

People who simply do not understand the law just assume “it’s California so it’s illegal”might as well weld the hood shut.

As far as exhausts you are limited to a certain decibel. IMO only A-holes need the loud obnoxious exhaust. And a loud exhaust doesn’t mean a fast car. It just means loud. Christ I had this kid in a Civic “racing” me. I was simply shifting through the gears trying to get on the freeway. That damn car was making so much god damn noice you would think it was breaking the sound barrier. He wasn’t even keeping up to my F350 which is a slow fat pig of a truck. But it was loud.

Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

1,249 posts, read 373,348 times
Are Jake Brakes illegal in California? I find them much more obnoxious than any loud car exhaust.

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

824 posts, read 615,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Pretty sure that is the idea, get rid of all those stupid fart can things. Nobody likes them, they are just noise pollution. Nobody thinks you are cool for making your civic loud, we just think you are too poor to buy a real car...

Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,267,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Are Jake Brakes illegal in California? I find them much more obnoxious than any loud car exhaust.
No, but there are posted regulations where their use is prohibited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive