U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 10:33 AM

18,869 posts, read 17,178,808 times

Advertisements

I wish all loud exhausts on cars, trucks, and motorcycles were illegal nationwide. No need for them other than to make yourself look like a ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 10:33 AM

9,363 posts, read 7,445,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
No, but there are posted regulations where their use is prohibited.

I see those signs at the city limits in many states. Quite often, they state that unmuffled engine brakes are forbidden. A lot of big rigs have muffled the "Jake Brakes" now. They are legal for use almost everywhere.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:07 AM

2,622 posts, read 3,168,886 times
So are they going to pick on just cars and trucks or are they going to start fining Harley riders? Harley's typically have the noisiest and most obnoxious sounding exhaust out there.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:07 PM

15,845 posts, read 15,841,160 times
Never enforced.

And if you get a mod, just do what most others do.............keep the old exhaust.

That way, if you get a ticket/fix-it-ticket, just slap-on the old exhaust and go to the inspection, pass with flying colors.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:19 PM

5,433 posts, read 1,814,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I see those signs at the city limits in many states. Quite often, they state that unmuffled engine brakes are forbidden. A lot of big rigs have muffled the "Jake Brakes" now. They are legal for use almost everywhere.
"Noise Ordinance Enforced" signs are common here and apply mostly to rigs.

Muffled Jake Brakes still sound like a brontosaurus fart, but at least they don't rattle the pictures off the wall.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:22 PM

16,948 posts, read 10,420,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Oh Jesus you couldn’t be more wrong.

There are PLENTY of aftermarket manufacturers who went through the process of certifying aftermarket performance parts which are perfectly legal to install on your car in California. I can get aluminum Trick Flow heads that are CARB EO and can legally install them on my truck. I can bore and stroke my 350 to a 383 and. Noboby would be the wiser. Won’t make a difference in smog test.
Headers exhausts air intakes cams etc are all widely available and lots of them carry EO numbers. As long as the oarts have the EO numbers they are no different as far as the law is concerned as a factory part.
The engine swaps are more common these days. I know plenty of people who are throwing LS motors in everything out there.

People who simply do not understand the law just assume “it’s California so it’s illegal”might as well weld the hood shut.

As far as exhausts you are limited to a certain decibel. IMO only A-holes need the loud obnoxious exhaust. And a loud exhaust doesn’t mean a fast car. It just means loud. Christ I had this kid in a Civic “racing” me. I was simply shifting through the gears trying to get on the freeway. That damn car was making so much god damn noice you would think it was breaking the sound barrier. He wasn’t even keeping up to my F350 which is a slow fat pig of a truck. But it was loud.

Uh, huh. Just wait until you get pulled into one of those roadside sniffer sites and your car fails the emissions test. I lived in Southern Cal, built cars while there, and it is damn hard to get a modified engine to pass those ever harder emissions standards.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
People who simply do not understand the law just assume “it’s California so it’s illegal”might as well weld the hood shut.
Nearly all of the SEMA efforts to allow aftermarket equivalent parts (which were flatly banned for road use in most of the US) were in California.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:30 PM

9,092 posts, read 9,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Ok so is just sound restrictions

Why would they do that? When did noise pollution become another important matter in the automotive industry?

Excessive noise has always been illegal. They just changed the way they issues the fine. It's no longer correctable and is a ticket.

MA has been this way for a long time so it's nothing new to me. Unfortunately it's not enforced evenly among the differing car groups.

Modified civic with exhaust? You'd likely get a ticket

Modified classic Mustang with an exhaust? You'll get requests for photos and thumbs up.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Modified classic Mustang with an exhaust? You'll get requests for photos and thumbs up.
Cobra with open side pipes? I have a hell of a funny story about getting that one registered in CT.

(Hint: go when the state is cutting worker hours and imposing furloughs and the DMV staff is really, really honked off, and have immaculate documentation for the nice inspector.)

"Well, you're good... but it's a little loud." I am apparently the only person to have ever so passed.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:56 PM

17,210 posts, read 18,609,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Uh, huh. Just wait until you get pulled into one of those roadside sniffer sites and your car fails the emissions test. I lived in Southern Cal, built cars while there, and it is damn hard to get a modified engine to pass those ever harder emissions standards.
So after being told that if you use CARB approved parts ( that are 100% legal and went through testing to prove they will not raise the emissions on a vehicle) you still think that it won’t pass smog. Ok well just keep on with your closed mind line of thinking. I’ll build my 350 to run clean using CARB exempt parts. Im sure it will run just fine and pass smog.

Well all my cars get aftermarket CARB EO parts when I rebuild engines. I have YET to fail a smog test sniffer or visual considering all the parts I use are CARB approved parts. I’ll put ANY of my vehicles on a smog tester and pass without breaking a sweat.

I don’t install anything that isn’t approved, I don’t drive with my CEL on. I actually fix my cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Nearly all of the SEMA efforts to allow aftermarket equivalent parts (which were flatly banned for road use in most of the US) were in California.

Most good aftermarket parts run cleaner than factory parts and are more efficient. A set
Of headers will be more efficient than a set of cast iron manifolds. The only reason they aren’t “allowed” is because some manufacturers don’t wanna go through the process of testing and certifying their parts. And some do. That’s why they can charge $500 for a set of headers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive