U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 07:15 PM

8,043 posts, read 2,558,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
What's happening? Are you going to start getting a fine for a rev?
In my town, we have loggers, who come ripping down the streets at double the speed limit, from about 3 am to 5 am. They almost all drive big, club-cab diesel pickups. The first thing they do, is pull the cores out of the mufflers, so they sound like freight-trains roaring down the street. Since they're part of the timber industry, the police don't interfere with them. No amount of regulations or pollution standards would make any difference, when that kind of double-standard exists.

The big timber-processing plants fouled the air and water for many years, before state and federal crackdowns made them clean up their emissions. The air was so toxic, that a landmark lawsuit was won by a homeowner five miles from a paper plant, because the fumes peeled the paint from his house. This is the way corporations behave, if they are not forced, kicking and screaming, to change their ways, by governmental regulations, that are strictly enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 07:45 PM

1,749 posts, read 2,317,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
For example, Lamborghinis are well known to be very loud. There are many videos on youtube showing tests with decibal meters where the sound is well over 100db.
But I bet the tests are SAE J1169

Old 02-13-2019, 07:58 PM

1,998 posts, read 831,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
heck many AMG Mercedes will too.
Not the ones I have owned. In fact, one of the biggest complaints is how quiet they are. My CL65 AMG was almost silent, even when you gave it the beans.

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

1,261 posts, read 376,361 times
My Panoz, when I step on it, is loud, right from the factory....free flowing exhaust.

(Not me and not mine but same model and color combo)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dGQ33B...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by LesLucid; Yesterday at 09:57 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM

30,966 posts, read 15,892,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Banning things because they're annoying/offensive to some people... oh yeah, that's not a slippery slope at all LOL
This is how it always works, though.

You find something fun to do, like modifying your vehicle. Then a small subset of loathsome, immature individuals decide their idea of fun is to make noise for the sake of making noise. And now we have to step in with the full range of laws and regulations because said individuals never encountered a firm kindergarten teacher who could teach them values like "consideration for others".

Playing the bagpipes is fun. Playing the bagpipes in front of somebody's house at 3 AM is obnoxious and if that somehow gained popularity, then yes - we'd have to roll our eyes, sigh, and start making rules for acceptable venues for bagpipe playing, all the while longing for the days when bagpipe players had the courtesy to to pick a suitable time and place on their own.

Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

8,481 posts, read 5,776,150 times
Everything is illegal and EXPENSIVE in the People's Republic of Cali

Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

17,210 posts, read 18,609,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
No.

It is a federal crime to modify anything between the air filter and the cat. Mufflers can be changed without any issues if it's under 95 dBA.
No it isnít.

Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

8,043 posts, read 2,558,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This is how it always works, though.

You find something fun to do, like modifying your vehicle. Then a small subset of loathsome, immature individuals decide their idea of fun is to make noise for the sake of making noise. And now we have to step in with the full range of laws and regulations because said individuals never encountered a firm kindergarten teacher who could teach them values like "consideration for others".

Playing the bagpipes is fun. Playing the bagpipes in front of somebody's house at 3 AM is obnoxious and if that somehow gained popularity, then yes - we'd have to roll our eyes, sigh, and start making rules for acceptable venues for bagpipe playing, all the while longing for the days when bagpipe players had the courtesy to to pick a suitable time and place on their own.

My grandfather said that the reason bagpipers always march when playing, is that makes them harder to hit with a brick.

Old Today, 06:28 AM

1,749 posts, read 2,317,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
No it isnít.
42 USC ß 7522 (a)(3)(A)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive